PDA

View Full Version : casting too hot

redriverhunter
04-18-2010, 11:45 PM
the other day i had my lee drip omatic turn up pretty high and i was casting with a lee mold and i got it so hot that the lead above the spruce it was more like tin foil when it cooled too hot?
thanks

HeavyMetal
04-19-2010, 12:04 AM
Are we talking the lead in the sprue holes or the lead that runs over the flat surface of the sprue plate itself?

If it's the "divots" around the sprue hole that is bad If it is the run off onto the sprue plate thats good because at least it's easy to clean off and drop back into the pot!

Seriously what counts is good well filled out boolits with very small weight deviation anything else is "Scrap" that can be remelted!

chris in va
04-19-2010, 12:36 AM
Yes, too hot. Back it off a couple numbers. I happen to like #7.

armyrat1970
04-19-2010, 06:00 AM
I agree with HeavyMetal. A little run off is nothing. It will cool and look like tin foil. But you are assured of getting a full sprue and giving the alloy time to cool and suck back down into the cavity to get good fill. Unless you cut the sprue to fast.
Although I like to get my sprue hole filled just right, which is seldom the case, I sure don't mind a little run off. I just throw it back in, as it gets cut off with the sprue anyway.

DLCTEX
04-19-2010, 10:07 AM
You don't say how the boolits look. That is the only criteria for judging temp. Frosting, fillout, wrinkles, etc. are how to judge temp. It doesn't matter what sprue puddle looks like if it is working.

chazmatic
04-19-2010, 04:45 PM
What can i do to keep the bullets from sticking to the mold halfs>>chaz

waksupi
04-19-2010, 07:31 PM

You may need to de-burr the cavity a bit. There are several approaches to doing it. Some use an Exacto knife, and lightly scrap the edges. Another way, is to use OOOO steel wool, to burnish.
Look at the Leementing sticky, as it may have some helpful info.

Welcome aboard.

armyrat1970
04-20-2010, 06:20 AM

Welcome to the forum. It would help to know what type molds you have, and how you prepare them before casting. They are not all the same.

chazmatic
04-20-2010, 06:35 PM
I have lee mold. I do keep it clean >debur the spruce and i think i remember an old fix is to make up a comet cleaner paste >take a cb and drill base then screw dry wall screw in base cote the bullet with the paste put in mold chuck up the screw and close mold on bullet and spin the bullet and it will polish the cavity. "HEY I DON'T PROOF READ"

chazmatic
04-20-2010, 06:49 PM
I do use gas checks and resize w/lube on. I have a 180 gr. mold on order. i shoot 308 and 30-06
bench grade rifles for long range. push with varget and wc852.

armyrat1970
04-21-2010, 07:56 AM
I have lee mold. I do keep it clean >debur the spruce and i think i remember an old fix is to make up a comet cleaner paste >take a cb and drill base then screw dry wall screw in base cote the bullet with the paste put in mold chuck up the screw and close mold on bullet and spin the bullet and it will polish the cavity. "HEY I DON'T PROOF READ"

Perhaps you should proof read a little more.
What you are doing is called Lementing the mold. And yes it helps. Most, if not all, Lee molds need a little help. I have found little problems with every Lee mold I have. But, after you get these little problems straight, that $20 mold will drop good boolits.

chazmatic
04-22-2010, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the info.!!
Now another question. I have a shameful amount of winchester 852 powder but no loading data.
The conclusion it is very cose to varget and imr4895 imr3031 ? ?

chazmatic
04-22-2010, 12:09 PM
My 180 mold and my nikon 5-20x44 bdc should be in today. This will be my second nikon for long range. I think now the optics are as good as my leopolds and they hold steady.
The nikons are monark. Cabalas has been ver good to me!

armyrat1970
04-23-2010, 07:10 AM
chazmatic. You seem to be in an awful hurry. Maybe you might consider slowing down a bit.