PDA

View Full Version : Smelting range scrap!

Freightman
04-18-2010, 07:51 PM
I have 25 gal of range scrap and decided I would try something different. I have a old 22" brake drum welded on a stand that I use to cook with wood if I need to but I have a propane grill so it isn't used. I have a expanded metal screen in the bottom so the air get to it and the ashes drop into a metal container under that. Well I put some scrap wood and got it started added three medium chunks of elm and let get to the glowing stage. I then set my pot about 1/2 full of scrap and went in , after I covered the scrap with saw shavings from cutting fire wood and took a nap. When I came out to my surprise it was melted and ready to skim off the dross. The yield was 35# of lead and I am plumb tuckered out from all the hard labor of taking a nap.

LAH
04-18-2010, 09:28 PM
You shouldn't sleep so hard. HEE HEE

wistlepig1
04-18-2010, 09:51 PM
Hopefully you didnt get bed sores from all that smelting.:bigsmyl2:

armyrat1970
04-19-2010, 06:11 AM
Geez Freightman, I don't really understand how you was able to survive that tedious labor.

Freightman
04-19-2010, 09:30 AM
This is suppose to be relaxing! isn't it?

DLCTEX
04-19-2010, 09:46 AM
I was just thinking this weekend that I have access to so much dead wood around the place and should use it to smelt with.

Freightman
04-19-2010, 12:34 PM
I just put it where it can't get away, let it burn down to large hot embers set the pot in the middle covered with saw flacks (chain saw don't make dust) then in about an hour you are ready to skim. It also didn't cost me $17 for propane.

armyrat1970
04-21-2010, 08:21 AM
I just put it where it can't get away, let it burn down to large hot embers set the pot in the middle covered with saw flacks (chain saw don't make dust) then in about an hour you are ready to skim. It also didn't cost me $17 for propane.

Reminds me somewhat of when I lived in SouthWest Texas in the mid to late 80's. Used to grill with Mesquite. We dug a hole and put the Mesquite in and burned it until it was just coals and then would put the coals in the pit. The best tasting grilled meat I ever had.
And I didn't have to pay for any charcoal.

Jon
04-21-2010, 10:36 AM
There's nothing like free smelting. Do you have a pic of the setup?