PDA

View Full Version : Are RCBS lubes any good??

ihmsakiwi
07-18-2006, 06:07 AM
I just picked up 5 sticks of RCBS lube, two are a dark colour. I got them for $2.00 each. I have only ever used a Lyman lube or my version of the felix lube. Any comments would be appreciated. Yes, Felix lube is alive and well in New Zealand!!
Except Ivory soap is no-where to be found. Peter.

bruce drake
07-18-2006, 07:30 AM
Peter,

Don't worry about finding Ivory Soap. If you have a soap that is plain soap you have Ivory Soap. Its amazing what an advertising campaign can do for a company. "it's 99 44/100% pure soap". It just means that it is plain soap without artificial colors or scents added.

I have had no complaints about RCBS lube in my Lyman 45 but my lube is thier simple ALOX blend. Not sure what the dark sticks are though.

Bruce

Buckshot
07-18-2006, 11:41 AM
.............ihmsakiwi, I've never used any RCBS lube I don't believe. I live practicly next door to the place that makes Javalina (NRA 50/50) so I started with that and have probably used a 50 gallon barrel of it. Also it was about the cheapest around :-). The past few years I've been fooling with some of the heat lubes and found they really DO have an application!

What works well can depend upon several things. The best test is to try a few rounds lubed with it to see how it does. There are still ubes offered commercially which are suitable only for fairly light loads and the same outfit sells super dooper lubes too. I've shot many a lead slug pan lubed with Vaseline and beeswax from a couple 45 cal and 43 Spanish rifles with no issues to 1600 fps.

...................Buckshot

Bucks Owin
07-18-2006, 01:50 PM
I haven't tried RCBS lube either....
At $1.00 per stick along with it's excellent performance, I see no need to use other than Lar45's Carnuba Red....
My cast boolit shooting is confined to handguns at this point but I will soon be trying CR in my .45/70, .243 and .270s...THAT will be the "torture test" I reckon....

FWIW,

Dennis

I have tried Lyman Orange Magic but at $4.95 per stick it's no better (or as good?) as C.R....