PDA

View Full Version : H&G 28 oal?

johnho
04-17-2010, 09:48 PM
Anyone know the correct OAL for above round with this cast bullet?

Echo
04-17-2010, 10:37 PM
And what round would that be?

MtGun44
04-17-2010, 11:33 PM
The "correct" LOA with a particular boolit is gun dependent, not a fixed value. Depends
on the chamber dimensions, throating or leade and how they interface with the particular
boolit design.

COL (or LOA) is best set by using the gun as your gauge.

Bill

johnho
04-18-2010, 12:50 PM
I[m not trying to pick an argument and only a little more discussion on this as maybe I have not understood COL reasoning. All handbooks give COL for a specific bullet. I would think this has two purposes: best general measurement to fit the chamber and to control pressures. I too adjust these dimensions but only slightly. A certain bullet seated to a designed depth for the case would be setting the pressure for that bullet. If you seated it too deep then pressures would increase and could do so dramatically especially in the 40 S&W. I always assumed, bad thing, that that is why the recommended COAL dimensions are given. I don't hesitate to increase the COL but can't remember ever decreasing them for that reason. I don't think it is trial and error but I could be wrong.

And this is a 158 grain RN 38 special bullet.

johnho
04-18-2010, 01:39 PM
found some information on it, just seat it to the crimp groove and forget it. thanks anyway.

MtGun44
04-18-2010, 03:38 PM
Johnho,

You are correct, as far as it goes. Definitely do not take a max load and push the bullet/boolit
significantly deeper in the case without reducing the powder charge.

Certainly, in cartridges where there is plenty of powder space and the boolit has a prominent
crimp groove - like the Keith designs in the magnum pistols, you crimp almost always in the
groove.

Now - the are a lot of cartridges that have critical length requirements, primarily the semi
auto cartridges. These are often critical on seating depth for mag fit, feeding from
mag to chamber and for fit into the chamber - avoiding a failure to close.

These boolits typically do not have a crimp groove, my guess is because there is the definite
need to change the COL for different mags, barrels and designs even with the same
cartridge.

Revolvers (other than the prominent exception of the Model 28/27 S&W N frames with
short cylinders in .357 Mag) typically are not critical on COL (LOA). Semiautos often
are very critical and each boolit/boolit often needs a substantially different LOA even
in the same gun.

So - for a lot of revolver examples, I agree - crimp in the groove if the boolit was intended
for that cartidge. For most semiautos my original answer stands, but should have been
clarified as primarily for semiautos.

Bill

johnho
04-18-2010, 03:54 PM
Thanks Bill, I have a better understanding.

John