PDA

View Full Version : Intro and Omaha Help Needed

bigbets
04-17-2010, 07:03 PM
Hello all.....name is Jacob Betsworth and I am a deputy sheriff here in Omaha, NE and new to reloading. Just recieved my Dillon 550 and started collecting wheel weights. Noticed some users here from the Omaha area and hoping someone in the Omaha area would be willing to help me with getting into bullet casting. I would just like to see it done once or twice and get some advice from someone with a little experience.

Any help from the local Nebraskans would be awesome

Thanks

Bigbets

btroj
04-17-2010, 07:18 PM
I'm in Bellevue. Send me a PM for phone number.

35remington
04-17-2010, 07:28 PM
I'm from Lincoln and get to Omaha pretty often, as my parents still live there, and I'm originally from there.

montana_charlie
04-17-2010, 07:29 PM
I am extremely pleased about two things regarding this thread.

First, I'm glad to see a newby asking for personal instruction...and get some.
Second, I'm glad that I misread the title of this thread. At first glance, I thought it was asking us to help OBAMA.

CM

44fanatic
04-17-2010, 07:48 PM
I am extremely pleased about two things regarding this thread.

First, I'm glad to see a newby asking for personal instruction...and get some.
Second, I'm glad that I misread the title of this thread. At first glance, I thought it was asking us to help OBAMA.

CM

My eyes saw Obama also...LOL

Welcome to the site. Lots of great help and experience here.

bigbets
04-17-2010, 11:08 PM
pm sent btroj. And the Obama thing made me :-P

04-18-2010, 08:21 AM
Yep, I saw it too. Have we become conditioned? Will Omaha never look the same?

Bigbets, looks like you have some helpful casters living nearby. This forum and Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook have been my mentors. Casting solo from the onset can become frustrating.

Good luck to you and enjoy.

Three-Fifty-Seven
04-18-2010, 08:29 AM
Casting solo from the onset can become frustrating.

Good luck to you and enjoy.

And Exhilarating too when that first boolits drops out all shiny that you just made! (Like WOW somehow I got it right!)

Welcome to the Board BigBets!

Bill*
04-18-2010, 08:47 AM
I'll help ya in exchange for a PBA (get out of jail free) card ;-)
Just kidding....Welcome to the forum BigBets

timkelley
04-18-2010, 09:58 AM
I'm afraid Omaha is doomed, I saw Obama too.

Three-Fifty-Seven
04-18-2010, 10:27 AM
Lokos lkie we hvae aolt of dsyliexc poplee hree . . . I unrstadend that as lnog as the frist and lsat letter of ecah wrod is rgiht, our brian can stiarghten it out!

For example . . . below is how the above should read for "normal people"

Looks like we have alot of dyslexic people here . . . I understand that as long as the first and last letter of each word is right, our brain can straighten it out!

Or is it that we have a lot of Obama lovers here? [smilie=l: [smilie=b:

I do agree that a few hours with a person that knows what it takes to cast will make the beginning more fun!:grin:

bigbets
04-18-2010, 07:02 PM
Thanks for all the welcomes gents...and any Omahan's needing Glock or AR-15 gunsmithing I would be happy to assist. I am I certified armorer in both and build more AR's than I care to count.:veryconfu

Bigbets

lead4me
04-19-2010, 07:43 AM
I saw Obama & thought this guys in the wrong forum. That guys beyond Help!! But welcome to the Family. Be careful though this casting is more additive than smoking.

longhorn
04-19-2010, 08:31 PM
Bigbets--a word of friendly advice, and yes, I know what it's worth: I run a Dillon 650 myself, and love it's speed, but I'm glad I didn't start with a progressive. See if you can find a 550 user locally to help you set up the machine and show you how he/she operates it. I think the progressives require a little different "manual of arms" than a single-stage press. Easier to get into trouble with a press than a casting pot, IMHO. I taught myself to reload and to cast, and I've had a couple of hard lessons along the way. Murphy was an optimist.

btroj
04-19-2010, 11:27 PM
I agree entirley on the progressive not being the best for a beginning reloader. Way too easy to make a BIG mistake.
I have a 550 so I can help you there too.

Brad

AZ-Stew
05-03-2010, 03:00 PM
Lokos lkie we hvae aolt of dsyliexc poplee hree . . . I unrstadend that as lnog as the frist and lsat letter of ecah wrod is rgiht, our brian can stiarghten it out! :grin:

Are you making fun of the way I normally type? :kidding:

Thank God for spell check.

Regards,

Stew

KCSO
05-05-2010, 01:09 PM
PM Me with contact info as I come to town quite often and my brother lives in town. I still have a coouple buckets of lead there I haven't brought home.