PDA

View Full Version : Pan Lubing Hollow base boolits

steg
04-17-2010, 07:13 AM
I have a bunch of 405Gr RNHB boolits that I want to pan lube, question is how to keep the lube out of the hollow base.............steg

Green Frog
04-17-2010, 07:59 AM
I have a bunch of 405Gr RNHB boolits that I want to pan lube, question is how to keep the lube out of the hollow base.............steg

I pan lube a fair number of hollow base minie balls for N-SSA use, so this is the way I am able to keep the hollow bases clear. I start with a clean pan... I use a brownie tin I bought for the purpose. Then I arrange the bullets (base down, of course) in the tin, about a half a bullet diameter apart. I melt my lube in a double boiler until it is fully liquified, then gently pour it into the pan to the height of the top lube groove. After the block of lube cools to the point of beginning to pull away from the tin, I quickly turn the whole thing over onto several layers of newspaper, then I push the bullets out through the lube block one at a time, base first. It is important (with my lube, at least) to complete the process while the lube is slightly warm so it will stay in the grooves well. At most I get a little lube around the bottom of the skirt of the bullet which easily wipes off if it is a problem. That's how I do it, a method taught to me by Dale53, and I can definitely say it works! HTH

Froggie

pistolman44
04-17-2010, 11:33 AM
I use a kitchen turkey baister to add the melted lube in to the pan. That works for me doing HP's.

steg
04-17-2010, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the info Guys..................steg