PDA

View Full Version : I made me a pot today hope it works

Bkid
04-16-2010, 04:00 PM
I made me a pot today. I found an old Map gas tank,cut it in half. Drilled some holes and added a handle. I hope it works,

Hardcast416taylor
04-16-2010, 04:04 PM
Looks good! What are you using as a heat source?Robert

Bkid
04-16-2010, 04:25 PM
Looks good! What are you using as a heat source?Robert
185,000 BTU turkey fryer. Deerslayer turned me on to the link at Turkeyfryers.com.It should be here soon as the UPS guy shows up.

dragonrider
04-16-2010, 05:39 PM
"185,000 BTU" That should do it :roll:

mooman76
04-16-2010, 06:40 PM
Might work better if it wasn't quite so deep otherwise it looks great.

357maximum
04-16-2010, 06:48 PM
Might work better if it wasn't quite so deep otherwise it looks great.

Mooman has a very valid point. lead and lead alloys are alot easier to flux when the container is wider than it is deep, they also flux more completely. Felix could describe the why scientifically, but I call it :roll: the surface area oxi-confluxion principle. [smilie=1:

Bkid
04-16-2010, 06:50 PM
Do you guys think I should cut it some more? It is 9 inches deep.

Blackhawk Convertable
04-16-2010, 07:13 PM
Don't cut it any more. Full of WW's, it will smelt down just fine.

jmsj
04-16-2010, 08:35 PM
Bkid,
My smelting pot is a similar size to yours (8" wide X 10" tall), I fill it completly to the top with wheel weights and put a lid on it and it melts down in 20 to 30 minutes. The only thing that is a little more work is getting the clips out at the beginning. But my pot is a bottom pour so the valve mechanism is also in the way too. I flux w/ sawdust and stir w/ a long dry wooden stick and stir/scrap the the bottom and sides really well. I bet your pot will work fine. jmsj

Bkid
04-16-2010, 09:15 PM
Don't cut it any more. Full of WW's, it will smelt down just fine.
Thank you for the help.

Bkid,
My smelting pot is a similar size to yours (8" wide X 10" tall), I fill it completly to the top with wheel weights and put a lid on it and it melts down in 20 to 30 minutes. The only thing that is a little more work is getting the clips out at the beginning. But my pot is a bottom pour so the valve mechanism is also in the way too. I flux w/ sawdust and stir w/ a long dry wooden stick and stir/scrap the the bottom and sides really well. I bet your pot will work fine. jmsj

Hey there JMSJ thanks for the help too! My pot measures 10" wide by 9" so it sounds real close to yours.I may try it half full or fill with WW`S TO see how it holds the weight first. Where are you in NM?

Bkid
04-16-2010, 11:56 PM
"185,000 BTU" That should do it :roll:

Is that to much? I caught the eyeroll.

D Crockett
04-17-2010, 12:29 AM
I would not trust that handle on it with it full of melted lead D Crockett

Bkid
04-17-2010, 01:07 AM
I would not trust that handle on it with it full of melted lead D Crockett

I agree on that. I did pick it up full of dry WW`S and it held. I would only pick it up empty or very close to it.

mooman76
04-17-2010, 09:18 AM
I was thinking from the picture that it was bigger than it looks. I was figuring it was way bigger than needed. I'd hate to fill something up that full and spill it some how, but if it's only 9" deep, it's smaller than I though. Try it an see how it works for you, you can always cut it down latter if you find it is bigger than you thought.

fishnbob
04-17-2010, 09:19 AM
Bkid,

How do you flux with sawdust? Doesn't the wooden stick burn? Is this a preferred method of fluxing in a large quantity of WW's and does it smoke like hell? I would like to try it next time I smelt a bucket of WW's.:redneck:

RKJ
04-17-2010, 09:46 AM
How do you flux with sawdust? Doesn't the wooden stick burn? Is this a preferred method of fluxing in a large quantity of WW's and does it smoke like hell? I would like to try it next time I smelt a bucket of WW's.:redneck:

I used a wooden stick in my smelting pot (SS pot on a 1000W hotplate) it chars the wood but doesn't burn it up, but my LEE production pot turned up (it's probably set too high but it works great and setting it lower seems to let the bottom spout gunk up) burned it to a crisp. :) Time for a trip to Walmart.

Bkid
04-17-2010, 09:48 AM
I was thinking from the picture that it was bigger than it looks. I was figuring it was way bigger than needed. I'd hate to fill something up that full and spill it some how, but if it's only 9" deep, it's smaller than I though. Try it an see how it works for you, you can always cut it down latter if you find it is bigger than you thought.

I would hate to spill it also. I tested it out with dry WW`S and it is pretty stable. Not sure if I will fill it the first time. Maybe go about 3/4 full. I want to live to smelt another pot. [smilie=l:

dragonrider
04-17-2010, 11:35 AM
It is a lot but not too much, it will handle a larger pot than what you have. And speaking of handles, don't use that one to lift that pot with any lead in it. Once you have hot lead in the pot do not add any more ww's until you empty the pot, then start a new melt.

Bkid
04-17-2010, 11:43 AM
It is a lot but not too much, it will handle a larger pot than what you have. And speaking of handles, don't use that one to lift that pot with any lead in it. Once you have hot lead in the pot do not add any more ww's until you empty the pot, then start a new melt.

I will only use the handle to remove an empty pot for sure. I can carry it with dry cold weights full ,and I would never carry it with molten lead in it with these handles. That is not safe. I will only fill pot with dry weights and empty . Then refill like you said for sure. I know from the horror stories I have read here. Thank you for looking out for me Dragonrider. I am nervous as H*** so I am going to do all I can to stay safe.

imashooter2
04-17-2010, 12:22 PM
I like my smelting pot to be wider than deep for stability. Be very careful with that one, especially with the reduced area of the bottom ring. Standing in a 100 pound puddle of molten metal is generally considered a bad thing.

As for the turkey fryer... you can turn a high BTU unit down for low BTU output. You can't turn a low BTU unit up to make high BTU output. Your purchase will be just fine.

Bkid
04-17-2010, 12:34 PM
I like my smelting pot to be wider than deep for stability. Be very careful with that one, especially with the reduced area of the bottom ring. Standing in a 100 pound puddle of molten metal is generally considered a bad thing.

As for the turkey fryer... you can turn a high BTU unit down for low BTU output. You can't turn a low BTU unit up to make high BTU output. Your purchase will be just fine.

I think you and I are on the same wave length. I notched slots on the bottom to hold the pot more securley. I agree. I wish it was a bit wider. I could weld something to it for more stability. I think the notched bottom will now hold better.

Echo
04-17-2010, 02:31 PM
I have no knowledge on the subject, but must ask those who do - Is that Map bottle strong/thick enough? Looks pretty thin to these un-trained eyes.

imashooter2
04-17-2010, 02:57 PM
Way more steel there than required for the amount of lead it can contain.

Hardcast416taylor
04-17-2010, 03:01 PM
I would give some thought to making a handle out of 1/4" steel rod and curl it thru the side holes so it won`t come out. Carrying unmelted weights is one thing, but molten lead is in a liquified form and is not as stable to move or carry. Imagine slopping water out of a container, now heat that liquid up to about 650 degrees - see what we are trying to say about moving molten lead? It may sound ridiculous, but I use a 1" dia. by 8" long magnet to remove the top floating steel clips. A leather glove is used to wipe the clips into a box. It actually is less sloppy than dipping out with a spoon. Be careful whatever you decide upon doing.Robert

oregonshooter
04-17-2010, 10:26 PM
http://oregonshooter.com/share/first_smelt_06.jpg

8" dia x 12" bottom pour.

Turkey fryer takes 2 hours to melt a pot of soft wheel weights. The burner stand in front that the muffin pan is on uses a true HP regulator and melts the same amount in 10 minutes.

If you have a thin wall pot I think the turkey fryer is probably going to do it, but 3/8" pipe like mine takes a little more BTU.

I like the tall pot because it allows me to fill up to top and not add more while smelting until that batch is poured out. I melt it, flux (stir with stick) then turn off heat and pour it out before starting the process again.

One cycle is about 50-70lbs worth of ingots.

PS. That handle is not to be used when the pot is hot IMO. Weld something stout like my pot has if you plan to move it.

Bkid
04-17-2010, 11:08 PM
http://oregonshooter.com/share/first_smelt_06.jpg

8" dia x 12" bottom pour.

Turkey fryer takes 2 hours to melt a pot of soft wheel weights. The burner stand in front that the muffin pan is on uses a true HP regulator and melts the same amount in 10 minutes.

If you have a thin wall pot I think the turkey fryer is probably going to do it, but 3/8" pipe like mine takes a little more BTU.

I like the tall pot because it allows me to fill up to top and not add more while smelting until that batch is poured out. I melt it, flux (stir with stick) then turn off heat and pour it out before starting the process again.

One cycle is about 50-70lbs worth of ingots.

PS. That handle is not to be used when the pot is hot IMO. Weld something stout like my pot has if you plan to move it.
That is a very nice set up you got there. I like your handles much better. I would not use my handles,ever with hot molten lead in the pot. Empty it will work good enough to move from point A-B if still hot. I filled it up with weights and it held but I would never pick it up with hot metal. I have a 185,000 BTU Fryer to heat it up . My pot is not nearly as thick as yours either. I think it will work ok, I can not wait untill I get my Thermometer to start smelting. Is that a giant Thermometer on your pot?

oregonshooter
04-17-2010, 11:26 PM
LOL, yes that is an 8" dial on a 4" long thermometer!

I misread it when I ordered it, thinking I was getting a 4" dial and 8" length. I have since removed it all together and just watch the melt for temp issues. It works well as a cover on my Lee pot though. :)

I also have added a sliding top to the pot and a T-handle to the pour gate as it sticks just a hair too much for hand tension with that old brass dial I had on there.

One advantage of only filling and pouring verses refilling is I can control the temp better, at least from going too high as the volume decreases. I think most do not do it this way, but after 50-70lbs of ingots I'm ready to take a break anyway.

Bkid
04-17-2010, 11:47 PM
LOL, yes that is an 8" dial on a 4" long thermometer!

I misread it when I ordered it, thinking I was getting a 4" dial and 8" length. I have since removed it all together and just watch the melt for temp issues. It works well as a cover on my Lee pot though. :)

I also have added a sliding top to the pot and a T-handle to the pour gate as it sticks just a hair too much for hand tension with that old brass dial I had on there.

One advantage of only filling and pouring verses refilling is I can control the temp better, at least from going too high as the volume decreases. I think most do not do it this way, but after 50-70lbs of ingots I'm ready to take a break anyway.

Is it easier not to have to laddle it to the molds? Yea after a full pot , I might want to take a break myself. I guess it will depend on how long it will take to pour the whole pot into ingots. I got some painter sticks to stir/flux the pot .

oregonshooter
04-17-2010, 11:58 PM
I made the pot as my first. I'm a newb here as of last year. Many said go with a short fat pot (after I showed what I had already done) and it made sense, but as used above it works better I think.

You can pour as fast as you can move the molds and there is no mess. I copied mine off plans here on this forum but have access to a lathe, tig, plasma cutter, etc. and the material was free. If I didn't I'd have gotten a Harbor Freight cast-iron pot and make a bottom pour out of it before doing the ladle.

I ladle out of a Lee pot into my boolit mold and it sucks! I'll be buying a Lee bottom pour next and using the other pot to pre-heat my ingots and the only ladling will be from that pot to the bottom pour. :)

Bkid
04-18-2010, 12:04 AM
I made the pot as my first. I'm a newb here as of last year. Many said go with a short fat pot (after I showed what I had already done) and it made sense, but as used above it works better I think.

You can pour as fast as you can move the molds and there is no mess. I copied mine off plans here on this forum but have access to a lathe, tig, plasma cutter, etc. and the material was free. If I didn't I'd have gotten a Harbor Freight cast-iron pot and make a bottom pour out of it before doing the ladle.

I ladle out of a Lee pot into my boolit mold and it sucks! I'll be buying a Lee bottom pour next and using the other pot to pre-heat my ingots and the only ladling will be from that pot to the bottom pour. :)

Nice job on the bottom pour system. Makes me think again about using a laddle.

cbrick
04-18-2010, 11:11 PM
Yep, saw dust. It's all I use whether melting WW or casting boolits. I cover the melt about 1/2 to 3/4 inch deep and stir and scrape until it stops smoking, then skim off the ash. Works great.

Here's a Glen E. Fryxell article on fluxing: http://www.lasc.us/FryxellFluxing.htm

Yep, smokes. What it smells like depends on what type of wood the saw dust came from, mine kinda smells like a camp fire. I stir with a stainless slotted spoon, not a wood stick. With the amount of wood already in the pot a wood stick wouldn't really add much.

Rick

jmsj
04-18-2010, 11:41 PM
oregonshooter,
I've got a similar smelting set up. I copied mine from hotgun's article. I built mine on a taller stand and made it operate from a foot pedal so I wouldn't have to be stooped over when pouring ingots. I fill mine up all the way w/ wheel weights, when they melt I skim off the clips, stir and scrap real well, top off the pot again w/wheel weights, skim/stir/scrape and flux w/ sawdust. With this method I can get a full bucket of wheel wheights in one pot.
Hotguns asked me to post pictures of this setup but I have yet to learn how to post pictures. My 6 year old will probably have to teach me how.

Bkid
04-19-2010, 12:09 AM
oregonshooter,
I've got a similar smelting set up. I copied mine from hotgun's article. I built mine on a taller stand and made it operate from a foot pedal so I wouldn't have to be stooped over when pouring ingots. I fill mine up all the way w/ wheel weights, when they melt I skim off the clips, stir and scrap real well, top off the pot again w/wheel weights, skim/stir/scrape and flux w/ sawdust. With this method I can get a full bucket of wheel wheights in one pot.
Hotguns asked me to post pictures of this setup but I have yet to learn how to post pictures. My 6 year old will probably have to teach me how.

Take pictues , edit with paint or similar program . On paint click on view. Change 100% to 35% in both boxes. Then save. Then post and go to manage attachments. then hit browse, find your pictures so remember where you saved it to,usually in Pictures. LOL... Then click open on the pic you want to upload . then click upload. If you want to add more then one pic click browse again,find pic that was saved , then open , then upload. EASY!

Bkid
04-20-2010, 09:14 PM
I did it! My first Smelt. I will put up some pics after MMA Tonight. It was hotter than heck out there and a storm almost got me. I was prepared for it anyways. I waited for the storm to pass and finished up a 5 gallon bucket. I can put a lot of WW`S in this pot. I did the 5 gallon bucket in 2 hrs. Is that about right?

dragonrider
04-20-2010, 09:22 PM
Two hours is good. How many lbs did you end up with????

Bkid
04-21-2010, 12:40 AM
Two hours is good. How many lbs did you end up with????

I am not sure my scale does not want to cooperate. I got 54 muffin ingots from WW`S. I got 15 muffin ingots form stick on WW`S. 69 TOTAL ingots. Is that a good amount or not really?
Oh yea I got rid of the cheazy handle. Now I pick it up like KUNG FU. lol hehe he

Bkid
04-23-2010, 10:05 PM
I did some more Smelting today. I find it goes much faster if I do not fill the pot so high. I also noticed it is harder to keep heat management where I want it. I learned a lot today. I got the metal up to 780 degrees which is way to hot. I had to flux it a lot. Luckily I got all the clips and non lead WW`S out before it went over 650 degrees. I used some pinon wood to flux and it smelled great. I added some cedar on the next batch and did not fill the pot so high. It went much better. I stirred the pot very thoroughly after the flux, due to over heating melt. I may cut the pot down some tomorrow. It does make a good wind block ,so I am not sure.

part_timer
04-23-2010, 10:54 PM
Looks good. I think your doing a good job, keep it up.
If your going to cut it down think about just cutting down part of one side. That way you keep the wind block but have a smaller pot.

Bkid
04-23-2010, 11:38 PM
Looks good. I think your doing a good job, keep it up.
If your going to cut it down think about just cutting down part of one side. That way you keep the wind block but have a smaller pot.

That is a great idea.If I do,I could stick my Thermometer further down, and just clip it on. I hate having to hold in place. I am still not sure yet. I will sleep on it.[smilie=6:

jmsj
04-24-2010, 10:48 AM
Bkid
I made a lid to put on my pot, it seems to make it go faster. If you need to lower your thermometer into the pot, use a wire to make a hook to hang it on the side of the pot.
Your ingots look great.jmsj

Bkid
04-24-2010, 10:58 AM
Bkid
I made a lid to put on my pot, it seems to make it go faster. If you need to lower your thermometer into the pot, use a wire to make a hook to hang it on the side of the pot.
Your ingots look great.jmsj

Thanks bud, I did that exact thing today. I got tired of messing with it. I do have a lid, that I use in the beginning of the melt. I like to watch the temp closely after 400. I smelted this morning it was really nice outside. I can not wait to start casting,maybe this afternoon.:Fire: