PDA

View Full Version : Ladle pouring, do's and don'ts?

Canuck Bob
04-16-2010, 01:32 PM
I am starting to load CB for a 444 Marlin, .535 RB for my flintlock, and soon a 303B. That is it as family obligations will keep a limit on my gun hobby for years to come.

I am collecting lots of cast off and thrift store items to start cheap. I have the smelting WW set up covered. I will be using an old but very stout hotplate and cast iron Dutch oven for the casting pot. I'll be hand or pan lubing and sizing with the LEE push through dies.

I tried a search for ladle pouring but could use everyone's help here. I will be pouring 300 LFN 44 CB's for the 444, .535 balls for the muzzleloader, and a 175 spitzer for the 303. I am considering one of the ladles with the little spout. It will be for these CBs only as I've got some sturdy SS soup ladles for ingots.

Thanks in advance.

BABore
04-16-2010, 01:59 PM
Get the RCBS ladle. It has a larger capacity than the Lyman and has a dross scraping fin on the bottom. Most of the new ones have an adequate sized pour hole. Older ones didn't always. I like the size between 0.160 and 0.180 for a high flow rate. Helps on larger boolits. The ultimate ladle is the Rowell #1, 1 lb bottom pour ladle with short handle. I file a V-groove in the pour spout for a finer control. Not all molds can be poured well with a Rowell. Some need a pressure pour which is where the RCBS comes in handy.

Canuck Bob
04-16-2010, 03:09 PM
What is a pressure pour? Thanks

montana_charlie
04-16-2010, 03:14 PM
Every once in a while you will see a true antique dipper on eBay which has a spout on it. I guess it was one of those which inspired Lyman (back when it was Ideal) to make their 'classic' dipper.
Of the two made today, either will suit your needs. Even the Lyman holds twice as much lead as you will need for your biggest bullet.
CM

Trey45
04-16-2010, 03:19 PM
Pressure pour is when you put the sprue hole directly on the spout of a bottom pour to fill.

RP
04-16-2010, 03:44 PM
I was think a presure pour was when someone was watching you making you nervous. lol I tried the presure pour with my bottom pour pot you got to watch out for streams from leaks with a pot. Iam not sure but I would not think you have that problem with a ladle but watch out for it.

GLL
04-16-2010, 03:58 PM
I also use an RCBS ladle with the hole bored out ! I own a Rowell #1 but rarely use it.

Jerry

Mk42gunner
04-16-2010, 04:07 PM
I use an RCBS ladle, because of the fin on the bottom. I rest the ladle on the alloy while melting to drive off any moisture; plus it makes it easier to pour with a hot ladle.

Robert

mooman76
04-16-2010, 06:47 PM
Someone in the selling section was selling some ladles he mad for a real good price and they looked good too. I just use the Lee and it works well for me.

Ohio Rusty
04-17-2010, 07:00 AM
Quite a while back I posted a thread about pouring round ball without any voids or bubbles: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=147243&highlight=Ohio+Rusty#post147243
This might help for your .530 ball.
Ohio Rusty ><>

calaloo
04-17-2010, 07:49 AM
I cast for accuracy rifle. Assuming the mould is hot and ready and you are right handed here is the procedure that I use. I flux every 50 or so bullets. More often if I think it is necessary. I ladle pour using a Lyman ladle.

Hold the mould in your left hand and the ladle in your right. Fill the ladle with melt and move the mould over the pot. turn the mould so the sprue hole is facing to the right. place the ladle spout into the sprue funnel and smartly turn the mould and the ladle upright maintaining contact. If the ladle was filled with enough alloy some will spill over. This insures the same pressure each time. hold the mould and ladle together for about five or six seconds then seperate the two. Wait several seconds after the sprue hardens before pushing the sprue plate open with your gloved right hand. If the sprue starts taking too long to harden let the mould cool a bit.

If every thing is kept clean and hot enough (but not too hot) and the same procedure and timing is used every time it will be unnecessary to weigh bullets. One must remember that every mold is a law unto itself and must be learned.

Canuck Bob
04-17-2010, 03:15 PM
This is much appreciated info, thanks. I will be casting as cheap as possible for awhile so I can shoot alot. We are not financially strapped as many are these days but we adopted two girls from China and thier future comes first. Besides daddy is trying to teach them to be cheap.

Cheap worried me because after reading all the threads regarding $400 pots and lubrsizers with $300 molds I began to think that my methods would produce an inferior bullet. I simply hate an inaccurate rifle or load. The LEE manual talks about a guy who set a world record using a LEE Loader, gotta like that.

I am beginning to understand that there are benefits to ladle pouring and controlling how CBs solidify. Casting bullets really ramps up the education and fun factor for a shooting hobby.

I am a lefty does that change anything?

Wayne Smith
04-17-2010, 04:47 PM
Being a lefty only changes in which hand you hold what. It's a two handed proposition in any description.

putteral
04-17-2010, 04:58 PM
Also a Lefty and also very conservative with my casting expenses. I found a cast iron dutch oven at a garage sale for $5, bought a cheep soup ladle at Walmart, drilled 1/4" hole near the top. Works great with my 6 cavity molds. Was given a coleman propane stove. I only ladle cast. Never have smelted ingots. Cast as needed. I do not think I can cast for much less.

Von Gruff
04-17-2010, 05:54 PM
My casting equipment cost me very little because I am a make it myself if I can sort of guy. I made my own laddle from an old suop spoon. Using a small ball peen hammer I deepened and shaped the dish of the spoon then squeezed and tapped a pouring spout in it. Hacksawed a split in a piece of 3/8 rod and rivited the spoon handle in then pinned a wooden handle on for comfort.
Have always thought I should have a "store bought"item but this has worked for 10 years or so on every thing from 160gn bullets up to 400gns without a hitch so it will remain on the bench.

Von Gruff.

Marlin Junky
04-17-2010, 06:06 PM
Not all molds can be poured well with a Rowell. Some need a pressure pour which is where the RCBS comes in handy.

Got to disagree with you on this Bruce. Although it takes some practice, you can "adjust" the pressure with a Rowell ladle by changing the height of the pour. It helps save time and "set-up" by keeping notes about pouring height with specific molds. Now with that said, I only cast .30, .35 rifle and .44 boolits but I can't image a better ladle for the big .45 rifle boolit than a Rowell#2.

MJ