PDA

View Full Version : Trying new ho-made lube

RICKLANDES
04-16-2010, 12:24 PM
I just brewed up a batch of 4 parts beeswax and 4 parts rendered whitetail tallow and a 1/10 part olive oil. I will be using it as a BPCR boolit lube for .458 postells.

I render out the tallow for mixing with birdseed and as it is heated and reheated it will harden more and more until it is almost like wax; it will snap when a small piece is broken. This cooked down tallow is what I used in the mix. I am hoping it will allow a better distribution of the lube through out the barrels length.

I know this is not a new mix; just thinking if anyone else has tried this mix with any success or FYI's I should be aware of...I do not care to go re-making wheels.

As a side note I got the beeswax from Randy rat here in the vendor section. He's a good guy and the product was better than I had hoped. Also nice to do some biz with another fellow from WI. (No disrepect for any other vendors...just seemed like doing business with one of the neighbors :))

Rock
04-16-2010, 12:26 PM
Ho-Made-Lube? I thought this was a family rated forum.....

RICKLANDES
04-16-2010, 12:31 PM
Dang there ya go findin' out all my secrets.
Good help is too hard to find these days to go gettin' after the staff....

Buckshot
04-17-2010, 02:02 AM
.............Should work as all they had for lubes for a couple hundred years were natural oils and waxes. Of course those were BP velocities and you make no mention of what you're planning on using it for. I'm really not one to be too enthused about making my own lube, so I never strayed far afield. I did make ups some beeswax & vaseline and used it in a .43 Spanish Rem RB and it did a fine job with WW alloy slugs to 1600 fps.

.............Buckshot

looseprojectile
04-17-2010, 02:35 AM
I mixed up equal parts beeswax and white tail fat and added a glob of lanolin. The lube is very sticky and white. Runs through the Lyman sizer without heat.
Has worked good in all I have used it in so far, rifles and handguns.
Friend supplied the deer fat and I rendered it and the whole house smelled like a goat for a week or two.
After I mixed it up the mice in the shop chowed down on it till I put a cover on it.
Don't know how they got out of the can after greasing up their feet. It may be that sticky is the catch word here.
Don't want to leave any lube grooves filled and exposed.

Life is good

pistolman44
04-17-2010, 11:40 AM
I get good results with this home made lube. 1#Beeswax-1 tube lithium greese-4oz.Parafin wax.

AZ-Stew
04-17-2010, 07:02 PM
Well, guys, his first post says he's going to use it for a BPCR and a heavy boolit. Using a petroeum-based lube with BP is not a good idea.

Now, I realize it's fun to make your own and have success with it, but for your use, Rick, why not just get some SPG? It's proven effective for your intended use and is a whole lot less trouble to obtain.

Just my $0.02.

Regards,

Stew

Post # 1776! That's the spirit!

RICKLANDES
04-19-2010, 08:56 AM
I like SPG, but I also like to experiment with various options. I have no delusions about creating a better product than SPG. I think Mr. Garbe has got it spot on by all reports. :)

With current laods I am getting fair accuracy on a cooler day (40-50) and not so good on the warmer 60+ days. I am using the blow tube for extra moisture in each case. I wanted to see if the more "greasy" tallow would help keep the fouling soft all the way to the muzzle. I am not using a grease wad at this point and really do not want to if not neccesary.
The SPG is a little pricey too, albeit nice to work with.
The resultant lube from my mixing is quite firm and will be fun to try. I only shoot BP out of the rifle and have little interest in shooting it with anything else at this point.
Also I had a fair lot of the deer tallow rendered out and was not going to mix it with seed for the birds anymore this year.
Thank you for all your input gentlemen... I will keep you updated.