PDA

View Full Version : Leading in .45 ACP

NHlever
04-16-2010, 12:09 PM
Though I have cast boolits for many years, I have very little experience with semi auto pistols. Recently I bought a High Standard Crusader with the 3 1/2" barrel. I really like the gun so far, and it seems really accurate for a small gun. I didn't have a suitable mold (and I have lots of molds!) so I purchased some 200 gr SWC BB "hard cast" boolits. I'm loading them at 1.225 OAL over 5 grains of Bullseye. The load is accurate, and pleasant, but it leads the first inch, or so of the barrel pretty badly. Any ideas on what I can do with this boolit? I'm embarrased to say I haven't slugged the bore,(but I will after lunch) or actually miked the boolits, but they are supposed to be sized at .452 which I thought might be large enough........ of course it would be a bear to make them larger now! :D

RICKLANDES
04-16-2010, 12:29 PM
I cannot but help to think it may be the new barrel. I would consider giving it a very good cleaning and a polish with some JB bore cleaner.
You may have a bit of machine marks that need a little TLC.
With your noted "experienced" casting back ground it only seems to make sense since it does not seem to impact others arms you work (play) with...

gray wolf
04-16-2010, 12:29 PM
Check to see if the barrel has a little lead right after the chamber ends, or if the rifle-ing begins directly after the chamber. If there is no space ( rifle-ing begins right after chamber )
Seat bullets a tad deeper. This MAY be a problem I don't think so but check it anyway.
#2 Slug that bore and measure those bullets, They should be at least .001 over bore diameter. Leading as you describe is most time an undersized bullet. Bad lube would be leading near the muzzle.
OK now you know what I know, I hope it helps. I am sure there will be others in our fine casting family that will help also.

NHlever
04-16-2010, 12:49 PM
Though I haven't checked it closely, I do think the transition from chamber to rifling is rather abrupt, and I doubt that the finish on the rifling is match quality. So far, I've been putting 10 jacketed rounds though it after every 50 cast. I do think that part of the problem is a slightly rough bore. I'll try the JB Past thing too since I have some! Does the load sound about right to you guys?

NHlever
04-16-2010, 04:36 PM
OK, the bore slugs .451 so I'm OK there. I did find that the first part of the rifling was a bit rough on the edges so I gave it a thorough going over with JB bore compound, and it does look better. The "lead" is pretty short, and abrupt, and I have to be careful of my seating depth for function......... won't quite lock up often if I seat boolits a bit too far out.

mpmarty
04-16-2010, 10:39 PM
NH what die are you using to seat and crimp your loads?

lead4me
04-17-2010, 08:00 AM
In my .45 Dan Wesson I've found that even with correct boolit size if I make em too hard they lead the throat. Same charge, boolit, size & OAL But softer 7/8 bhn and leading goes away. Run em up too 14bhn leading comes back.

NHlever
04-17-2010, 09:53 AM
NH what die are you using to seat and crimp your loads?

I'm using an RCBS three die set with a taper crimp die. Funny you should mention that because I was thinking last night as I was preparing 100 cases that maybe I should try seat / crimp in different operations. My gun is sensitive about the amount of crimp, so I have to have some, or it won't quite chamber some rounds.

NHlever
04-17-2010, 09:55 AM
In my .45 Dan Wesson I've found that even with correct boolit size if I make em too hard they lead the throat. Same charge, boolit, size & OAL But softer 7/8 bhn and leading goes away. Run em up too 14bhn leading comes back.

Hmm, interesting. I have some 200 gr rnfp's that are about 1-16 tin / lead, maybe I should try some of them. The boolits I have been shooting are commercially cast so they are pretty hard.

35remington
04-17-2010, 10:14 AM
Examine your finished reloads. It is possible that, if you seat and severely taper crimp in the same operation, that the case mouth is "plowing up" some lead as the bullet is seated all the way to its final location.

Look to see if this is happening.....not saying it is, just that it might be. That would possibly explain some of the leading if it is. Of course, hardness and lube could indeed be the cause, but I'm just narrowing the list of possibles.

NHlever
04-17-2010, 10:26 AM
Examine your finished reloads. It is possible that, if you seat and severely taper crimp in the same operation, that the case mouth is "plowing up" some lead as the bullet is seated all the way to its final location.

Look to see if this is happening.....not saying it is, just that it might be. That would possibly explain some of the leading if it is. Of course, hardness and lube could indeed be the cause, but I'm just narrowing the list of possibles.

Yes, this did happen on my first reloads. I am so used to loading for the magnum revolvers that crimp is kind of embedded in my brain I guess. I'm learning that just straightening out the bell is probably enough with these loads, but they do have to be nearly .470 to chamber.

chris in va
04-17-2010, 10:33 AM
Probably won't help you, but...I air drop my 230 grain RN and get pretty much zero leading in my Sig. Someone pointed out to me 45ACP doesn't need to be hard and they were right.