PDA

View Full Version : $25 score. 5 gal bucket of range scrap.

ScottJ
04-15-2010, 09:20 PM
Went to shoot earlier this week at an indoor range I haven't been to in years so my brother could try my SW9VE.

I asked the owner about his scrap lead. He usually sells it for 10-20 cents a pound to guys who dig it out of the trap.

But he had a 5 gallon bucket that he'd collected and picked most of the jackets out of since he was thinking of starting to cast. Agreed to sell it to me instead. Great guy. I might have to think about a membership even though I can shoot in my back yard free.

The bucket weighs 145 pounds.

I assume it's too soft for general casting using my wheel weight loads. I was thinking I'd mix it 50/50 with the WW if I ever get into casting hollow points.

wiljen
04-15-2010, 09:28 PM
might be great water dropped as it is. I'd sure try it before I alloyed it with something else.

ScottJ
04-15-2010, 09:31 PM
might be great water dropped as it is. I'd sure try it before I alloyed it with something else.

Yeah, I was thinking in low-pressure stuff like .380 and .38 spl it might be good.

Certainly not in my envelope-pushing .44 mags.

RayinNH
04-15-2010, 09:33 PM
I find the range scrap to be quite good for lower velocity handgun loads like .38 Special, .45 ACP, .44 Special and .45 Colt...Ray

Fugowii
04-15-2010, 09:48 PM
Be sure to check it for live rounds. I've heard too many horror stories lately of folks
getting a round in their mix.

Fugowii
04-15-2010, 09:51 PM
Went to shoot earlier this week at an indoor range I haven't been to in years so my brother could try my SW9VE.

I asked the owner about his scrap lead. He usually sells it for 10-20 cents a pound to guys who dig it out of the trap.

But he had a 5 gallon bucket that he'd collected and picked most of the jackets out of since he was thinking of starting to cast. Agreed to sell it to me instead. Great guy. I might have to think about a membership even though I can shoot in my back yard free.

The bucket weighs 145 pounds.

I assume it's too soft for general casting using my wheel weight loads. I was thinking I'd mix it 50/50 with the WW if I ever get into casting hollow points.

Don't assume that. My WW comes in around 10 BHN and I smelted a bucket of range
berm scrap and that came in around 10 as well. This particular range doesn't get a lot
of .22 use so that is why I think it came in at that number. That plus scraping the
lead from the surface of the berm that got exposed by the rains was the reason I got
the big pieces of lead instead of the .22 fodder.