PDA

View Full Version : Boogered-up bevel base boolit

awaveritt
04-15-2010, 11:41 AM
After reading this thread today( http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=81497 ) regarding the timing of opening the sprue plate, I have a related, but different problem. On my Lee 358-158 RNFP 2 cavity mold, I have some distortion on the beveled base of the boolit. I think it occurs primarily in the rear cavity but it leaves a sharp edged teat, as if the sprue plate is too loose (it doesn't seem to be) or the sprue hole isn't sharp enough. After reading the thread I referenced above, would waiting a bit longer fix this or do I have some other problem. I assume this is problematic only in beveled-based designs. Any suggestions?

geargnasher
04-15-2010, 03:28 PM
Sounds like either a bent or loose sprue plate, or a ding in the mould blocks. If the teat is left where the sprue hole was, check for "daylight" between the sprue plate and blocks. If the teat is a "horn" sticking out in the bevel area, you have a ding in the blocks at that point allowing the lead to flow into it. This is common on Lee moulds if you let the sprue plate swing over the blocks before closing them, there is so much slop in their handles that the plate can ding the right side block if it's allowed to swing near the "closed" position before the blocks are closed.

Gear

steg
04-15-2010, 03:47 PM
From your description, it's hard for me to tell just exactly what the problem is, I am thinking maybe a bit of lead flashing on the top of the mold is what you are refering to as the problem. that being the case, you could be cutting the sprue too soon, or your sprue plate could actually be sprung. remove it and check it out with a straight edge. I really doubt that it is because of it being sprung, if it were, the casting farthest away from the pivot point of the sprue cutter would usually be the one having the problem. If it is coming from the tip-side of the boolit, in only one small place, and is thicker than lead flashing, then you may have a dent in your mold body, this can be seen with a close inspection. Good luck, keep us posted.....steg

awaveritt
04-15-2010, 04:07 PM
If the teat is a "horn" sticking out in the bevel area, you have a ding in the blocks at that point allowing the lead to flow into it.

Geargnasher: You got it. That's what I'm trying to describe. I'll have to do a closer inspection when I get home tonight to see if there may be a ding in the block. I'll try to post a pic of some of the worst offenders to give you guys a better idea.

lwknight
04-16-2010, 09:16 AM
If your not in a world class competition , just shoot em.

mooman76
04-16-2010, 06:54 PM
You could probably dress it up abit by taking the mould apart and running the sprue plate and top of the mould on some emory cloth on a flat surface. I got some used moulds off ebay for deal because they were abused abit and the BB part seemed to take a beating and wasn't completely round any more. It helped a little.

Echo
04-17-2010, 09:44 AM
How about removing the BB portion of both cavities of the mold? Or maybe just the one cavity? I haven't done it myself, but have read posts here describing the procedure. I know BB boolits are easier to load into a case, but I don't use them, and have heard that they tend to be less accurate than their PB brethren.