PDA

View Full Version : .458 Win

RugerFan
04-14-2010, 02:01 PM
In another forum, someone speaking of the .458 Win posted " ...hardcast won't cycle well in a bolt gun." Really? I had never heard that. Is there any truth to this like maybe in certain types of bolt actions (i.e. Mausers etc) or is the poster full of BS?

Hardcast416taylor
04-14-2010, 02:09 PM
Could be the boolet nose design. I use water quench, linotype and "stiff" wheel weights (lino added) with no problems feeding in my .375 H&H, .416 Taylor, and all other large calibers I cast for. The nose design can cause problems, but I`ve never heard of the alloy hardness causing feeding problems. If the boolet is seated out to far into the rifleing that could be his problem.Robert

Doc_Stihl
04-14-2010, 02:15 PM
I had a bit of a hard time getting a .458WM to feed lead. What I found to be the problem was the nose profiles. My Lee 500 RNFP-GC wouldn't feed well. After comparing the profile/length with a 510 and 500 JRN I ended up using a factory crimp die and crimping on the second drive band(leaving an unlubed groove exposed) and never had another feed issue. It was just too short. Shot better too.

Nothing to do with the material, all to do with the profile.