PDA

View Full Version : .50 BMG "Ferret" Rifle

BruceB
04-14-2010, 11:44 AM
Some months ago I posted about a deal which I'd been offered on a .50 BMG (Browning Machine Gun cartridge) rifle. That transaction fell through when the owner got cold feet.

The same rifle became available again, and this time I ended up as its new owner. It's a bolt-action single shot, essentially a .50 BMG upper built on an AR-15 lower receiver. The lower receiver provides ONLY the firing controls, and all stresses are handled purely by the upper unit. Barrel length is around 32", plus about four inches for the muzzle brake. The action is nice and smooth, and the rifle seems to have very little wear...no big surprise there! According to my bathroom scale, weighing myself with/without the rifle gives a net weight of 22 pounds.

It came with a complete un-used RCBS .50-caliber package, meaning a press, dies, and priming assembly...about $500-plus from Midway. Also included were a Forster neck-turner, Lyman .50 case-trimmer, and a bunch of new-unfired brass and 80 loaded rounds. A Leupold VX-III 6.5-20X scope is mounted (similar scope is over $800 at Scheels' Reno store yesterday).

A friend is bringing along a Hoch custom .50 BMG mould when he visits this weekend, about 800 grains in bullet weight, I believe. .50 gaschecks will be a problem. 800 grains of wheelweights should do fearsome damage to a ground squirrel, I betcha.

Researching the load data available on the web is a bit daunting. In full-power guise, one pound of powder will yield about TWENTY-EIGHT loaded rounds! Primers (CCI #35) are about thirty cents EACH. Fortunately, 500 CCIs also came in the deal for the rifle.

I intend to have some cast-bullet loads available for the "entertainment" of all shooters at the Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot in late May. That should be a "blast", indeed!

mike in co
04-14-2010, 11:52 AM
nice job bruce,

800 gr of ww at a time, and 250 gr of powder....ouch.

mag44uk
04-14-2010, 12:15 PM
Photos please!
Tony

45nut
04-14-2010, 12:40 PM
Finally something bigger than my 500A Square will be fired at NCBS ,, without using a lanyard ?

BruceB
04-14-2010, 08:45 PM
Well, I took the .50 Ferret out and fired thirty rounds today.

The ammo is factory-duplication stuff from "Talon", whose reputation is pretty good, although I don't know if they're still around.

Some gents came over from the 100-yard range next door to find out, "What in HELL are you shooting????" They saw a round touched-off as they approached, and said about five feet of fire was visible in bright sunlight. I believe it. Had some trouble seeing impacts on the 400-yard berm, because getting the area back in the scope took too long. Putting a sandbag behind each bipod leg helped a lot with controlling the recoil.

I finally zeroed the beast 3" high at 100, then clobbered one of the 400-yard gongs....when I got the rifle back on target, the gong was GONE, and its support arm was swinging wildly, and then IT dropped off, too.

The whole thing is...exhilarating, I guess I'd say. Urny told me that it wouldn't be as bad as my un-braked .416 Rigby, and he's correct about that. The recoil lacks the horrible SNAP of a 400-grain bullet at 2600+ fps in a ten-pound rifle. It's considerably slower and longer in duration. However, there is a LOT of disturbance, and my glasses and muffs took a beating on every shot. I can hardly wait for the next opportunity! This one is gonna get shot, and shot, and shot...especially if I find a cast-bullet load that works.

What fun.

Faret
04-15-2010, 11:11 AM
Nice stock frank I have the same one. Wish I had your 3" brake.

BruceB
04-15-2010, 11:22 AM
"I finally zeroed the beast 3" high at 100, then clobbered one of the 400-yard gongs....when I got the rifle back on target, the gong was GONE, and its support arm was swinging wildly, and then IT dropped off, too. "

On re-reading this, I thought I should mention that I am involved in maintaining this range, targets, etc., and that I know the gent who does repairs/welding/new targets for our shooting pleasure. I WILL be making amends for the shot-down gong, I can assure y'all.

Just didn't want anyone thinking that I'm one of the "couldn't care less" crowd.

bruce drake
04-15-2010, 12:32 PM
BruceB,

With a name like Bruce, we know you would do the right thing.

Bruce

Fixxah
04-15-2010, 06:45 PM
http://www.break.com/usercontent/2008/2/50-cal-Vs-Goats-453514.htmlMight be good on ferrets but how about goats?

It puts a smile on my face knowing our boys are doing it to Taliban.:lol:

I am shooting my friends Serbu in my avatar.

Marlin Junky
04-15-2010, 08:50 PM
http://www.break.com/usercontent/2008/2/50-cal-Vs-Goats-453514.htmlMight be good on ferrets but how about goats?

It puts a smile on my face knowing our boys are doing it to Taliban.:lol:

Are those goat varminters in the video using some sort of frangible ammo? That destruction at long range is unbelievable.

MJ

rockrat
04-15-2010, 09:00 PM
BruceB PM sent.

McKee Boykin
04-15-2010, 09:52 PM
Damn, it skins them too!!

snuffy
04-16-2010, 01:43 AM
http://www.break.com/usercontent/200...ts-453514.htmlMight be good on ferrets but how about goats?

It puts a smile on my face knowing our boys are doing it to Taliban.

Goats this time? That same video has been said to be 50 cal snipers rifles shooting the taliban. Actually it's from new mexico, those are prairie dogs. It shows up at least once a year,,,---goats ha ha.

Fixxah
04-16-2010, 07:00 PM
Nice to know they are aware of target AND what's beyond. Lots of fail in that video.

Snuffy, I'd give you +rep if I could.

Blammer
04-16-2010, 09:57 PM
awesome!

I think I have some 512L GC's left if you need some PM me.