PDA

View Full Version : 340 Savage 30-30

crazy mark
07-16-2006, 12:43 AM
Took my 10 year old Grandson shooting today as he wanted to shoot a 30-30. I had recently put a receiver sight on this rifle and was pleasantly surprised with the results. I shot a 2.5" group off hand at 50 yds. The GS didn't do as well but after the 2nd shot he wasn't worried about it kicking him. This is an beater I picked up with a cracked stock and most of the bluing gone and extra holes in the receiver but a good barrel and action. Glad I decided to keep it and reglue the stock. Mark

dk17hmr
07-16-2006, 01:16 AM
Good to hear. I have a the same gun cracked stock and all, except I mounted a Weaver K3 on it. I cant get it to shoot cast bullets (havent tried very hard) but it likes a hot rod 110gr Jacket Hollow point. I am inbetween trading it or selling, I like the gun but it is takin up space in my gun cabinet and I have no real need for a bolt 30-30.

My uncle mentioned to me that he might pick up a 30-30 for his daughter to shoot, she is handicapped. But with her handicap she would be hard pressed to shoot a lever action, she was born with only her thumb on her right hand and the hammer on a lever action might cause some grief, so the rifle might go to that way.

DK

Jack Stanley
07-16-2006, 10:43 AM
Other than being a little rough around the edges . Those rifles seem to shoot pretty well . I had a 30-30 once and one of my neighbors has one in .222 Remington . Since I'm a lefty , I really prefer the lever but for general blasting fun I like almost all the bolt guns .:-D

Jack

BOOM BOOM
08-03-2006, 03:30 PM
HI,
Some folks here have good things to say about this little gun.
My niephew Matt even has 1 in 30-30 ackley improved, which he likes alot.
My dauther Veronica has 1 in 30-30.

Bucks Owin
08-03-2006, 05:59 PM
Yep, I had one at one time. Shot just fine but was kinda hard on the eyes IMO..

(Wish I still had it though....)

Dennis

Buckshot
08-04-2006, 01:18 AM
................DK, your issues with it may be the bore and groove. Some of them had rather odd combinations that a 'normal' 30 cal cast slug might find a smidge disconcerting :-)

The first time my daughter went deer hunring she used a M340 that belonged to my buddy's brother. Wouldn't shoot fer spit. The I discovered that the crown was a mess. It was like it had been crowned once, then the pilot removed from a crowning tool and hit another lick.

After I got permission to have it fixed it shot extremely well. I even tried to buy it but no sale.

................Buckshot

Four Fingers of Death
08-04-2006, 03:32 AM
Are they the crappy looking rifle with the magazine that looks like the panelbeater made it? They bob up here every now and then, usually 22Hornets or 222s I think. I may have the wrong rifle, if I had of seen a bolt 30/30 I probably would have bought it. I live in hope of picking up a 788 in 30/30. mick.

dk17hmr
08-04-2006, 03:17 PM
Mine shoots pretty good with J-Bullets, I havent really wanted to shoot cast out of it although I have a surplus of .30 cal bullets, I have 4 Ideal .30 cal molds casting from 154-200gr.

It shoots 110gr hollow points into a 2" group off hand at 50 yards. Which is good enough for me.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/dk17hmr/Image003-1.jpg
Im starting to think I dont want it anymore, Im not a 30-30 fan, although a great round its like a bellybutton. Plus Ill have that 243 and 45-70 barrel for deer hunting on my NEF.

Jack Stanley
08-04-2006, 09:34 PM
Keep it around DK . Even with the new varmint barrel coming , the time will come when you'll want to slither up on the woodchucks down in the brush. Those light weigh hollow points will give you a great deal of entertainment :Fire:

Jack

swheeler
08-10-2006, 04:47 PM
I picked this one up last Saturday at a local Pawn Shop, Spingfield 840E, bluing is in great shape and the stock still has most of original finish! I think he took me to the cleaners tho, yugo 48, Carcano and the 30/30 200.00-67.00 each. he-he-he
Just about forgot, for 10.00 more he threw in a set of M17 Binos with the case 7x50's, sure wouldn't want to pack em very far!

Jumptrap
08-10-2006, 08:48 PM
I picked this one up last Saturday at a local Pawn Shop, Spingfield 840E, bluing is in great shape and the stock still has most of original finish! I think he took me to the cleaners tho, yugo 48, Carcano and the 30/30 200.00-67.00 each. he-he-he
Just about forgot, for 10.00 more he threw in a set of M17 Binos with the case 7x50's, sure wouldn't want to pack em very far!

swheeler,

Two questions:
first could you show a left side pix of the 340's action...like to see how it is D&T'd.

and second; want to sell those heavy bino's for a nice but reasonable profit?

9.3X62AL
08-10-2006, 09:29 PM
S Wheeler--

I'd say you did just fine!

swheeler
08-10-2006, 09:54 PM
JumpTrap; I think you can see this picture good enough< if not I will get one to you when the sun is out better. I got the binocs because some ***** stole the bushnells out of the Jeep, I got these in the house for safe keeping, I'll pass but thanks for the offer, if I ever do I'll remember you asked. Bet you know how to use all those hash marks in them, they sure look quality built, diopter on each eye piece and they are clear- but just like packing another rifle.

oh ya , the tape is to prevent cyber theft

Al; I think I did dandy this time, they have been at the same location for years and are finally locking it up for good, hate to see the oldtimers cave in, but gotta eat. Everybody wants to live here because of all the pretty trees and rocks, but they don't taste very good to eat.
Scot

Char-Gar
08-10-2006, 11:52 PM
I picked up a Springfield version at the hock shop about two years ago and paid $110.00 for it. I snaged a Lyman peep sights for another $15.00 on Ebay. It shoots cast very well. The chamber does have a very slight egg about half way up the case on one side. You can't see it, but can find it with a micrometer. All it does is make you full length size the cases each time. Oh yes.. it is a 30-30.

Jumptrap
08-11-2006, 01:05 AM
JumpTrap; I think you can see this picture good enough< if not I will get one to you when the sun is out better. I got the binocs because some ***** stole the bushnells out of the Jeep, I got these in the house for safe keeping, I'll pass but thanks for the offer, if I ever do I'll remember you asked. Bet you know how to use all those hash marks in them, they sure look quality built, diopter on each eye piece and they are clear- but just like packing another rifle.

oh ya , the tape is to prevent cyber theft

Al; I think I did dandy this time, they have been at the same location for years and are finally locking it up for good, hate to see the oldtimers cave in, but gotta eat. Everybody wants to live here because of all the pretty trees and rocks, but they don't taste very good to eat.
Scot
Scot,

excellent photo, thanks much. My guns are older and are factory D&T'd for a peep but nothing for a scope mount. I was interested in how high the holes were above the woodline. Those old bino's are fine quality and while a PITA to carry, are great for the truck, house or 4 wheeler. I have a set of Steiner 7x50 militarys and they are great glasses..but heavy as lead. I have a hard time keeping the kids away from them...and wouldn't mind finding an old set of navy issue glasses...those hash marks were used by FO's when calling in artillary.....I haven't got a clue how to make proper use of them, but I have a pal that was an FO in Viet Fking Nam in 66-67 and I am sure he would gladly explain the finer points of those hash marks and grid coordinates for me. I missed that party by 11 months.

swheeler
08-11-2006, 10:17 AM
JUmp; my mother had a Stevens 30/30 when I was a kid, it had a butterknife bolt handle and a shorter barrel 18 or 20 IIRC, sure would like to know where its at, been 40 years ago last seen, a win 94 also. Yep we were a 30/30 family until the four boys started growing up, they always kept us fed.

Jumptrap
08-22-2006, 05:44 PM
JumpTrap; I think you can see this picture good enough< if not I will get one to you when the sun is out better.
Scot

Scot,

I need to know what size the scope mount holes are drilled and tapped to. I have mine ready to do....but have no idea what size drill and tap I need to use.

Anybody know? It is larger than 6-40, I know that.

swheeler
08-22-2006, 06:21 PM
Jump; I just pulled one out and am pretty sure it is 8-32, but I don't have anything in that size to try, it measures .160" OS dia. A 6-48 screw will push into the hole easily Scot

Scrounger
08-22-2006, 06:46 PM
Jump; I just pulled one out and am pretty sure it is 8-32, but I don't have anything in that size to try, it measures .160" OS dia. A 6-48 screw will push into the hole easily Scot

8-40 is far more likely.

swheeler
08-22-2006, 07:18 PM
OK, bore brush is 8-32 and it won't thread in, too coarse. I dug out pitch gauge and looks to be 8-36, but danged hard to tell with that tiny screw.

StarMetal
08-22-2006, 08:46 PM
I'll take door #3, Art, Most scope base screws that are in the #8 size that I've seen are 8-40. Jump just type in what size drill needed for 8-40 thread or tab in google, I bet it will tell you. Off the top of my head it's a 20 something in the numbered drills. Remember my SKS mount came with 8-40 screws and I drilled and tapped it.

Joe

Jumptrap
08-22-2006, 09:42 PM
Thanks fellers. 8-40 sounds right to me. Hopefully I can find one at the hardware and get it done. I have 2 of these 340's and I'll practice on the lesser one first! Then, I have to find an ejector and spring, and a trigger return spring as well. I bought this barreled action for $27..can't complain too much. I just wonder what the morons do to lose the small parts.

StarMetal
08-22-2006, 09:48 PM
I don't think you'll find those screws at a hardware store, besides you'd be better off stopping at a gunsmith and buying two, they are hardened screws too, not those soft ones.

Joe

Jumptrap
08-23-2006, 01:05 AM
I don't think you'll find those screws at a hardware store, besides you'd be better off stopping at a gunsmith and buying two, they are hardened screws too, not those soft ones.

Joe

Joe,

I don't need the screws...I need a drill and a tap. If all else fails Brownell's can deliver in a couple days.

Uncle R.
08-23-2006, 03:53 PM
I knew a fella years ago that hunted with a .30-30 Model 340 with the butterknife bolt handle. This fella was no kinda gun nut - dang rifle was stone ugly with nasty rust pitting inside and out, and the stock looked like it had been dragged behind a truck. It had a side-mounted cheapo scope that rattled when you shook it and wouldn't group on a 5 gallon bucket at 100 yards.
I cleaned it up for him and mounted a Bushnell 2-1/2X on it. That durn thing shot better than it had any right to - like close to 2 MOA with factory ammo. Those rifles were way better than their price OR their looks would suggest.
I won't be buying one myself, though - they hurt my eyes and I guess my .30-30 model 788 will serve the same purpose. :-D

Nrut
08-23-2006, 07:51 PM
Frank Marshall spoke highly of these rifles when he wrote in the CBJ years ago......

Char-Gar
08-24-2006, 05:38 PM
You won't find gun screw, taps and drills at your local hardware or home improvment store. If you have an industrial supply store that caters to the machine shop trade there is a good chance they will have them. Brownells is always a good surefire source for these things.

TCLouis
08-26-2006, 09:10 AM
Jantz Supply in OK has gunsmith drills and taps and sight/mount screws as aell as knife making supplies.

For whatever reason, most scope/sight screws are NOT any standard that one can find at the hardware, nor a pretty good machie supply outfit.

As an aside DoAll supply in Nasville does not even have a City Counter anymore, one can just order stuff from the facility!

I buy, when I can, from folks who EMPLOY local folks.

Four Fingers of Death
08-26-2006, 11:46 AM
[QUOTE= I guess my .30-30 model 788 will serve the same purpose. :-D[/QUOTE]

I've been on the lookout for one of those for yonks. Mick.

swheeler
08-26-2006, 08:31 PM
looks like my 30/30 is going to shoot like others in this rifle- first attempts with cast- I like it!