PDA

View Full Version : MiHec .452 - 200gn Cramer Loading Info Needed

Fugowii
04-13-2010, 04:37 PM
I'm trying to load up some of these using WST. I have the Winchester loading data
for a 200gr LSWC (4.5gr WST @ 1.225") but nowhere can I find anything on a 200gr
LRN using WST. My observation is that this boolit needs to be seated a bit shorter
than 1.225". Great for me to use an obscure powder. Oh well. Anyway I see the
COL on a 200gr lead boolit in my Lee manual is 1.190 and it looks like the boolit
would seat to 1.190" Question I am asking is: What is your COL for this boolit?
Anyone using WST that can give me a heads up?

F

gray wolf
04-13-2010, 06:27 PM
I can't help with the powder----I use B/E and tite group.
With my barrel removed and used for a gage I get 1.185/1.188 for an OAL, 1.190 would work for me but I will use 1.185 to start so I have a little buffer for seating tool variance.
The OAL I have stated gets the back of my case about .005 below the end of the barrel hood.
I would check your barrel also because all barrel leads are not born equal.
I hope I helped some, others will help with this also.

Sam

Dale53
04-13-2010, 06:56 PM
gray wolf has the answer for OAL - remove the barrel from the pistol and use the barrel as a gauge. When the loaded round is dropped into the chamber, the bullet should be seated just deep enough to have the base of the case even with (or just SLIGHTLY under) the barrel hood. When using lead bullets (nearly all I shoot are cast lead) I like the base of the case EVEN with the barrel hood.

Dale53

Digger
04-13-2010, 09:38 PM
Hey Fugowii , currently using 7 gr of WST at a col. of 1.190 in my 1911 with Mihec's .452 and that is fitted to my barrel in my Charles Daly and my Springfield.
Seems like a good load as I don't have access to a chrony, but not to hard , not to light and is accurate and functions well.
Next few rounds I thought I would try 6 gr. again as before for some reason my loads were slightly inconsitant. Also these are full length sized with the Lee crimp die as I tried them in the barrel chamber just after seating the bullet and it was to tight for function.
Once you find your load you like , you will be impressed with Mihec's boolit .....:Fire:
(the usual ..use this information at your own risk. )
forgot to mention credit to graywolfs advice as that is how I did mine.

digger

Fugowii
04-13-2010, 11:44 PM
Hey Fugowii , currently using 7 gr of WST at a col. of 1.190 in my 1911 with Mihec's .452 and that is fitted to my barrel in my Charles Daly and my Springfield.
Seems like a good load as I don't have access to a chrony, but not to hard , not to light and is accurate and functions well.
Next few rounds I thought I would try 6 gr. again as before for some reason my loads were slightly inconsitant. Also these are full length sized with the Lee crimp die as I tried them in the barrel chamber just after seating the bullet and it was to tight for function.
Once you find your load you like , you will be impressed with Mihec's boolit .....:Fire:

digger

Thanks folks,

Digger, that seems like a rather beefy load! Winchester gives a 4.4gr to 5.1gr charge (min/max) for a 200gr SWC with WST @ 1.225".

F

gefiltephish
04-14-2010, 05:59 AM
Yeah. For this boolit I use 4.5gr WST @ 1.185 OAL. 7grains seems way over the top. Maybe he meant WSF? So far I only use WSF for 9mm, so can't comment on what charge would be used for 45.

Digger
04-14-2010, 07:45 AM
Okay guys...your on the money ! had a real busy day yesterday , just went out to my shop and checked my scales and my notes .... 3.8 gr wst ! How's that for being at the opposite end of the range! , as I just loaded up another batch last night. My Bad ! brain was on another load while typing here ......[smilie=b:
Obviously I do like my loads light , start out with the recommended min. and go up or down as per the gun.
Been using wst between 40 and 45 and like it a lot for these guns.
Don't mean to hyjack....geflltephish , how do you like the WSF ? as I have a new can on the shelf.

gefiltephish
04-14-2010, 06:06 PM
I wanted a slower powder for the 9mm because I was having too much trouble with light charges of faster powder, with my powder measure. After having 2 squibs previously, I also like how WSF fills up the case better and is easier to see. I now make sure I can see the powder level in every single case. Other than that, it shoots fine. I do get a lot of leading with this gun (XD), I may just give up and go jacketed. I've got a Mihec 9mm hp mold on the way, I'll reserve judgement till after I play with that for a while.

Fugowii
04-14-2010, 06:37 PM
Yeah. For this boolit I use 4.5gr WST @ 1.185 OAL. 7grains seems way over the top. Maybe he meant WSF? So far I only use WSF for 9mm, so can't comment on what charge would be used for 45.

I too used 4.5gr of WST @ 1.185" and it performed great at the range today. I was
told this was a clean burning powder and a good performer. Based on what it did today
I think I'm going to like WST. It's the cleanest powder I have ever used.

I tried 4.0, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 grain loads with a 225 cast boolit as well and I got the best
performance out of the 4.3gr loads.

Digger
04-14-2010, 07:02 PM
Excellent Fugowii ! , glad to hear somebody else is getting good results with Mihec's mold's + some WST.
I am also waiting in the wings for another pretty little shiny (for now) .358 from Mihec there gelfiltephish and will probably crack open that can of Wsf to try in it and also in the other Slovenian .401 that I have been using lately....;)
Thanks guys
digger

fredj338
04-14-2010, 07:58 PM

digger
That load would be way over pressure my friend. Using 5gr under a 200grLHP from Mihec or the Lyman Dev. it's running 900fps. I run them @ 1.230" OAL. WST is THE powder for the 45acp. Accurate, clean burning, low recoil, meters well, what more could you want?