PDA

View Full Version : H & G number 56 experience

hammerhead357
04-12-2010, 11:51 PM
Several years ago I purchased a used H & G 2 cavity mould numbered 56. This mould dates from the California years. It has sat unused for all this time. Well today I got it out, degreased it and preheated the little jewel.
Alloy was just WW with nothing added 715 deg avg. temp. I had to cast about 8 times before it started to throw good boolits. This is a multi groove wadcutter for the 38 cals. I only cast about 24 good boolits and chose 2 from each cavity to check out.
The results were interesting. I didn't take any pictures due to bad lighting in the reloading room, but will try later.
Measurements were all 90 deg. from parting line, base band avg dia .3606 and the 2nd and 3rd driving band was .3598. Then the front driving band was .3501 and the wadcutter shoulder was .3461.
I had never encountered a tapered design from H & G and Tom Dugas only has a line drawing on his reference page for the H & G moulds.
Now I will say that I didn't care for the sprue plate pivot and stop screws since there is no way of securing them to keep them from turning in use. If I were to use this mould much I think I would send it to someone to have screws placed to stop the pivot and stop screws from turning during use. Other than that the mould is good and no more of a PITA to use than anyother mutigroove wadcutter is. Avg. weight was 146 grn......wes