PDA

View Full Version : Old BL-C

rbstern
07-15-2006, 04:17 PM
Was at a gun show today and one of the vendors was unloading some old stock primers and powder.

One of the powders was a sealed can of Hogdon BL-C Lot 2...the old style can with the pryable tin lid. Dated 1973. Opened it, looked good, smelled good...can I trust it to be good?

I picked it up to use in 30-30 loads.

Is the modern BL-C(2) different from the old stuff in terms of loading formulas?

RayinNH
07-15-2006, 11:10 PM
rbstern, recently there was a similar question. It was answered by Sir Felix.http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=8015&highlight=blc2

I think it will answer your question...Ray

swheeler
07-15-2006, 11:29 PM
Actually I think Felix answered on BL-C(ball C) not BL- C Lot 2 which was slightly slower in speed. The C stands for cool- lower flame temp

357maximum
07-22-2006, 05:31 PM
Was at a gun show today and one of the vendors was unloading some old stock primers and powder.

One of the powders was a sealed can of Hogdon BL-C Lot 2...the old style can with the pryable tin lid. Dated 1973. Opened it, looked good, smelled good...can I trust it to be good?

I picked it up to use in 30-30 loads.

Is the modern BL-C(2) different from the old stuff in terms of loading formulas?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am still loading out of the black and purple cans of BL-C (lot #2) and it is the same as the new stuff. Same+Same

I have 15 cans left all the same lot # 48 made in 1977... It came to me one day a few years back, through a friend and the price was right= 1.00/LB so I bought the 23 cans he had and am still sending lead with it. .223, 30/30, 35 rem

Michael

StarMetal
07-22-2006, 06:27 PM
If it smells like fresh powder does, that is like ether or acetone, not an acidity smell, and if has no "brown" dust like smoke come off it when pouring it, then's it good.

Powders are made in lots and they number them. Althought the formulas for each batch are the same there may be slight differences. It's a known fact that old 2400 and Unique ( possibly more) are different burning rates then the current new ones, thus old BLC2 might be different. But why ask here, you should know better to work up your load with different lots of powders, especially one it that is old.

Joe

rbstern
07-22-2006, 10:49 PM
But why ask here, you should know better to work up your load with different lots of powders, especially one it that is old.

Joe

Just looking for an indicator of how conservative I should start. :)

Thanks, all.

felix
07-22-2006, 11:02 PM
Start with RL7 loads (30-30) and work up. None of the BLCs were faster than RL7as far back as I can remember. ... felix

wheezengeezer
08-29-2006, 05:25 AM
not too many years ago i had the pleasure of shooting up a lb of bl-c that my granddad had bought in the early fifties. still good! if you had 2 new cans of identical powder but of a different lot number you still need to work up when switching from one to the other.

454PB
08-29-2006, 12:46 PM
I've been using ball powders for 35 years, and have never seen any deteriorate. I have had to dispose of several cans of IMR powders, one was only 20 years old and still sealed. All my powders are stored together, so it was not caused by storage method.

I like the IMR powders, but it's the one type that I do not buy in large quantities.