PDA

View Full Version : FP v/s HP on same boolit; which one is more accurate?

Onty
04-12-2010, 05:00 PM
I noticed that many folks like HP boolits, and one of the most desirable are Cramer and RG ones that could cast both; FP and HP.

Which version is more accurate when same mould is used to cast them?

44man
04-12-2010, 05:19 PM
I noticed that many folks like HP boolits, and one of the most desirable are Cramer and RG ones that could cast both; FP and HP.

Which version is more accurate when same mould is used to cast them?
Neither. Both will be the same.

Blammer
04-12-2010, 05:27 PM
I'm testing that now, so far no real winner.

45 2.1
04-13-2010, 10:20 AM
You would need a really good setup to test that. With the stuff available you will find little difference provided the HP is concentric.

1Shirt
04-13-2010, 10:26 AM
I, like most others really don't know, but do know that most jacketed match rifle blts are HP, so there must be something to it. And besides, a clean well centered HP when loaded is just plain prrrty to look at. I tend to think that HP'ing puts the balance point(for lack of a better explaination) a little to the rear of the projectile and that may be a factor of stability.

That said, a big flat nose on a hard large cal (44 and above) will punch a clean hole in paper that you can see, and punch a clean non expanded hole in game that is often wider than some 30's or smaller that have expanded. End results that satisfy the user are all that count anyhow.

1Shirt!:coffee:

Wayne Smith
04-13-2010, 10:52 AM
I have Mia's 44/444 and I have shot 3 of each @ 25yds. out of my SBH. Two distinct groups about 3/8" apart, both slightly horizontal. I'm guessing HP the low group, FP the high group (heavier boolit, longer dwell time in barrel) but both groups were the same size.

Eutectic
04-13-2010, 11:31 AM
Neither. Both will be the same.

While this may USUALLY be the case.... It is not always the 'case' and shouldn't be offered as a 'positive' statement.

Example??

Let's take a primadonna I've worked extensively with as of late. A Winchester Model 92 in .25-20 WCF.
The ol' gun would only do about 2" at 50 yards with 85gr cast G.C. This with an excellent bore..... But I have found the 1 in 14" twist lacking in several .25-20's now with the heavy weight bullets.... another story.
Having the luxury of a small lathe, I sometimes modify boolits for testing my speculations.... (not a bad idea) SO.... I shortened my weighed, visually perfect samples one band and recut the gas check shank for a 67gr boolit. My boolits now averaged about 1 1/4" at 50 yards. This was about ten separate groups, including a couple of ten shot ones. So good data.
I wanted a small game load with a little more 'smack' for snowshoe hares..... SO... I took some 67 grainers and drilled them HP with a #44 drill .150" deep. The boolit was now 64grs..... So I went out back to see if the little 92 was sighted in with this slight modification. (I don't call it primadonna for no reason!) It was dead on and I looked at a 3/4" group! I shot all that I had loaded of the modified HP version on the same target. THE 20 ROUNDS WERE IN 7/8" AT 50 YARDS!!!
Now I'm a little stubborn..... I have shot the solid flat nose version against the HP version three different times and the results have been the same... the HP is way more accurate. HUMMM??? I struggle that the small center of gravity change could make any difference.... BUT IT DOES!

Blammer's answer is the correct short version.... You only find the answer on the target; not on the keyboard!

Eutectic

44man
04-13-2010, 11:37 AM
While this may USUALLY be the case.... It is not always the 'case' and shouldn't be offered as a 'positive' statement.

Example??

Let's take a primadonna I've worked extensively with as of late. A Winchester Model 92 in .25-20 WCF.
The ol' gun would only do about 2" at 50 yards with 85gr cast G.C. This with an excellent bore..... But I have found the 1 in 14" twist lacking in several .25-20's now with the heavy weight bullets.... another story.
Having the luxury of a small lathe, I sometimes modify boolits for testing my speculations.... (not a bad idea) SO.... I shortened my weighed, visually perfect samples one band and recut the gas check shank for a 67gr boolit. My boolits now averaged about 1 1/4" at 50 yards. This was about ten separate groups, including a couple of ten shot ones. So good data.
I wanted a small game load with a little more 'smack' for snowshoe hares..... SO... I took some 67 grainers and drilled them HP with a #44 drill .150" deep. The boolit was now 64grs..... So I went out back to see if the little 92 was sighted in with this slight modification. (I don't call it primadonna for no reason!) It was dead on and I looked at a 3/4" group! I shot all that I had loaded of the modified HP version on the same target. THE 20 ROUNDS WERE IN 7/8" AT 50 YARDS!!!
Now I'm a little stubborn..... I have shot the solid flat nose version against the HP version three different times and the results have been the same... the HP is way more accurate. HUMMM??? I struggle that the small center of gravity change could make any difference.... BUT IT DOES!

Blammer's answer is the correct short version.... You only find the answer on the target; not on the keyboard!

Eutectic
True, but rifles and handguns are different animals. I did shoot better groups with hollow point rifle bullets. It still comes down to what your gun likes. Many rifles shot better with a solid nose too.

Lloyd Smale
04-13-2010, 02:21 PM
Like what 44man said the gun is the big variable more so then any bullet design. Every single gun will like something differnt.

mike in co
04-13-2010, 03:49 PM
I, like most others really don't know, but do know that most jacketed match rifle blts are HP, so there must be something to it. And besides, a clean well centered HP when loaded is just plain prrrty to look at. I tend to think that HP'ing puts the balance point(for lack of a better explaination) a little to the rear of the projectile and that may be a factor of stability.

That said, a big flat nose on a hard large cal (44 and above) will punch a clean hole in paper that you can see, and punch a clean non expanded hole in game that is often wider than some 30's or smaller that have expanded. End results that satisfy the user are all that count anyhow.

1Shirt!:coffee:

they really are not HOLLOW POINTS...they are not designed for expansion, but the end result of bullet manufacturing. the current term is OTM....open tip match.....casue you are not suppose to shoot combatants with "hollow points".

mike in co
04-13-2010, 03:52 PM
I struggle that the small center of gravity change could make any difference.... BUT IT DOES!

Eutectic

like all else ..it all depends...but in a fat short boolit, the hp does move the cg back..and does seem to help in accuraccy.............

you will only know when you try...

mike in co