PDA

View Full Version : Bullets sticking in an aluminum mould

KirkD
04-11-2010, 10:26 PM
I've been having no problems using steel moulds, but last week I tried a double cavity Lee mould for 500 grain 45-70 bullets, and the bullets seemed to often stick in the mould. I'd have to whack the mould with the wooden club several times to get the bullets to fall out. What do I need to do to make the bullets come out easier from an aluminum mould?

docone31
04-11-2010, 10:33 PM
I have had that happen on Lee molds.
I cast through a nut on top of the cavity. When it solidifies, aka freezes, I then take one casting, put valve lapping compound on it and rotate it by the nut on the sprue. I cast several, as when I do the last ones, I want to have some the same size to even out the cutting.
On most, I have soaked it in mineral spirits for at least a day. I go two. That works most times. I do not smoke my molds. I found that made a mess and they stuck.
Try some lapping compound. It makes a difference.

montana_charlie
04-11-2010, 10:39 PM
What do I need to do to make the bullets come out easier from an aluminum mould?
A magnifying glass.

Carefully examine the edges of the cavities. Look for pointy burrs that need to be gently removed, and look for a rolled edge that turns down from the face into the cavity. the lightest form of 'scraping' is what I would use to get rid of both.

If that doesn't help with the sticking, do your best to measure the depth of each half cavity. It may be that one side is deeper than the other. That will grip the bullet (on the deep side) because it is wrapping around the shank slightly.
The only good cure for that is to send it back for replacement.

CM

whisler
04-11-2010, 10:44 PM
I yhought Lyman molds were iron or steel??????

Buckshot
04-12-2010, 12:37 AM
I tried a double cavity Lyman mould for 500 grain 45-70 bullets, and the bullets seemed to often stick in the mould.

.............Lyman doesn't make aluminum moulds. Maybe Lee?

...........Buckshot

DLCTEX
04-12-2010, 01:52 AM
Use the search function and find threads on "Leementing" for all you need to know about making a mould drop boolits.

KirkD
04-12-2010, 09:57 AM
Thanks, fellows for that advice. Also, my mistake, it is a Lee mould, not a Lyman. My apologies. I'll got to my first post and correct that.

sqlbullet
04-12-2010, 10:15 AM
Lee molds frequently need some TLC. This is a common problem. You need to cast a few bullets with good fill out, and then find some way to chuck them onto a drill. Casting though a nut with the sprue plate open is one. I have also carefully drilled a small pilot hole and then screwed a wood screw in.

Once you have a bullet on a spindle you can chuck into a drill, do so. Coat the bullet with a little tooth paste. I am sure valve lapping compound works too, but hopefully we all have tooth paste around the house already. Put the bullet in the mold, gently close the mold on it, and then use the drill to spin the bullet, slowly, in the mold. It will be a little sticky at first, but will soon settle in. I then give it the spurs for about 10 seconds, and repeat with a fresh bullet on each cavity, twice.

Next using an old toothbrush scrub mold thoroughly with some water,and rinse well. Dry, heat and cast. On my molds after this treatment, the bullets usually fall out without even a tap.

steg
04-13-2010, 03:46 PM
Lee-menting does work wonders on a Lee mold, plus the carefull removal of the small burrs makes you think you are using a different mold than the one you started with. So far the only Lee mold that I didn't do anything past deburring it was a 405gr hollow base round nost, it seems that the built in hollow base part actually holds on to the boolit when opening the mold and the boolit ends up sitting in place on the hollow base piece of the mold, requiring that the mold just needs to be turned over and the boolit just drops out. I was relieved that it didn't require Lee-menting as this boolit pours through the tip and one little slip, that these shaky old hands are good at, could have ruined the mold. BTW I use automobile buffing compound when I do my Lee-menting.................................steg

Marlin Junky
04-14-2010, 02:17 AM
If your melt temperature is over about 750F and you're casting at a pretty good rate you could be over heating those little aluminum blocks even though your boolits show no signs of frosting.

MJ

KirkD
04-14-2010, 07:39 AM
Great advice here, men. Thank you.