PDA

View Full Version : Casting issues with size

BeemerMark
04-11-2010, 06:05 PM
I'm using all Lee equipment and am casting a 230 gn .452 bullet in a 6 cavity mold. The alloy is a 50/50 mix of Linotype and Lead. Bullets look great but the size is all over the place - 229 to 234.5 gns and the diameters differ by about 0.006.

My rifle bullets are always identical, this is the only pistol mold I have.

Colorado4wheel
04-11-2010, 06:57 PM
Sounds like bad fill out. Look at the sticky about "Leementing"

mooman76
04-11-2010, 07:00 PM
Sounds like you're not closing the mould all the way sometimes. It only takes a hair. I heard if you squeeze the spue handle at the same time as the mould handle that it can force open the mould a hair and you will get inconsistancies like you are having.

jsizemore
04-11-2010, 07:23 PM
When the mold is closed, hold it up to the sky or a light source and make sure the mold is closing properly, after it is up to temp.

BeemerMark
04-11-2010, 07:30 PM
When the mold is closed, hold it up to the sky or a light source and make sure the mold is closing properly, after it is up to temp.

If the mold was closing tightly wouldn't I have flashing? I don't even have a hairline where the mold halves meet.

HeavyMetal
04-11-2010, 09:50 PM
I think the best advice would be to take a good hard look at your technique.

Bottom pour or are you dipping?

Alloy?

Temp?

Pre heating mold and using a hot plate to keep it up to temp?

Fluxing? are you? What are you using?

It really does sound like poor fillout. The trick now is to figure out if it's you or the mold.

Consistancy is the key here: do everything the same way each time. If you need to change something, and this is key, only change one thing at a time until you decide if it works for you or not.

Once you get consistant boolit weight, plus or minus 2 grains, then you can decide if the diameters are off or if they've fallen into line as they should.

The first change I will recommend will be to use saw dust as a flux and get yourself a 1/4 inch pine dowel from the hardware store to stir the alloy with.

Store the sawdust in an air tight container it will absorb moisture.

runfiverun
04-12-2010, 02:01 AM
and keep your thumb off the sprue cutter.

RodneyUSAF
04-12-2010, 04:43 AM
I was having this problem too. I had to remove the wooden handle off of the sprue cutter lever to remedy it. My gloved hand couldn't find a comfortable way to hold the mold without hitting the handle otherwise. The two or so inches of shank left is enough to open the sprue plate with a little muscle.