PDA

View Full Version : I need some input.

wallenba
04-11-2010, 12:47 PM
Recently I decided to expand my casting to include my rifle. I cast some Lyman # 311672 160gr boolits for my Ruger M77 .308. Following the Lyman manual I seated them to O.A.L. of 2.635. This depth left the top lube groove exposed just at the top of the top driving band. I decided to just do a slight factory crimp there, but now I'm thinking that there might not be enough lube on the boolit. They are 19 BHN over a light load of sr 4759 (18.5gr). Is there enough lube in just one groove ?:?

runfiverun
04-11-2010, 02:13 PM
plenty of rifle boolits only have one lube groove.
if you are using a harder lube the lube don't pick up stuff easily.
i doubt you need the crimp.

DLCTEX
04-11-2010, 02:19 PM
You don't say what lube you are using, but if you are using a good lube it should work OK. I generally just lube them all with a harder lube and leave it exposed, but it is a pain to keep it clean.

wallenba
04-11-2010, 03:05 PM
You don't say what lube you are using, but if you are using a good lube it should work OK. I generally just lube them all with a harder lube and leave it exposed, but it is a pain to keep it clean.

Orange Magic lube. I thought it would be OK for about 1600 FPS, and it was already in the lubrisizer. I formerly loaded only J's in the rifle and don't know what the norms for cast are.

wallenba
04-11-2010, 03:10 PM
i doubt you need the crimp.

OK, I wondered about the crimp, since the uncannaleured jacketed ones I was using were never crimped, and the fact these are for plinking only and will be loaded one at a time. But then, with the small charge I'm using, I thought it might need more time for pressure to build.

jlchucker
04-11-2010, 03:44 PM
OK, I wondered about the crimp, since the uncannaleured jacketed ones I was using were never crimped, and the fact these are for plinking only and will be loaded one at a time. But then, with the small charge I'm using, I thought it might need more time for pressure to build.

If pressure building is a concern, you might try just bumping them a little in a Lee factory crimp die. The rifle ones work on a collet system, which exerts force on the case mouth from the sides. I wouldn't try to crimp hard into the lead, although you could--but if you set your crimp die to just bump them a little bit, you'd be applying a little squeeze from all the way around. I've done this, thinking I was doing something to equalize the building of pressure. Like Runfiverun says though, I doubt if you need to do this, but you could try it and see if it has any effect on your groups.

Shiloh
04-11-2010, 04:02 PM
[QUOTE=DLCTEX;866941]You don't say what lube you are using, but if you are using a good lube it should work OK. I generally just lube them all with a harder lube and leave it exposed, but it is a pain to keep it clean.[/QUOTE

+1 to your boolit lube. May I suggest Larsens Lubes?? http://www.lsstuff.com/index.html Link at bottom of the page.

I have used commercial rifle boolits before I started casting. Lube groove was exposed. Worked fine.

Shiloh

canyon-ghost
04-11-2010, 04:09 PM
I agree with Shiloh, Carnuba Red is a very good high velocity lube. My 7mmTCU loves it, that the pistol in the avatar. It's 15.8 grains of SR4759 to 200 meters. Only uses a slight taper crimp or none at all. I've had it up to 16.5 grains and that was too hot, no pressure problem except a bit too much. Carnuba Red I use with heat, but it's slick, really slick. I found a chemist online to tell me to use acetone, should I need to dissolve it. It's the hardest vegetable wax in the natural world.
Ron

PS: you'll like the smell of White Label lubes better too.

wallenba
04-11-2010, 05:36 PM
Thanks guys, you all helped my confidence in the cartridge make-up alot. I think next time I'll not crimp, and set the sizer up to fill the top lube groove too. These will be for range use only and can stay in the box til used, so barring any fumbles to the ground, they'll stay clean.

On the plus side the mold made excellant boolits after about 10 pours, and loaded they are within 0.002 concentric!