PDA

View Full Version : processing beewax

jballs918
07-14-2006, 05:04 PM
well guys i got some what of a good deal off ebay for some very raw beewax. its dark and it looks like it it has dirt and heads in it. is there a way to filter this over then boiling it and letting it fall to the bottom. thanks guys

Topper
07-14-2006, 05:22 PM
What has worked for me is cheese cloth.
I double the layer and lay it over a clean coffee can, held in place with a rubber band. Be sure it sages to form a funnel.
I then melt the beeswax and pour it through the cheese cloth.
If the first run doesn't clean it, then I repeat the process.

db2
07-14-2006, 05:25 PM
I have used chesse cloth. I wraped the bees wax in it, then put it in the boiling water. After wax liquefied, slowly pull the chesse cloth out of the water, then toss into the trash.
I have read that panty hose works, however I have not tried that.
db2

jballs918
07-14-2006, 05:56 PM
hmm both good ideas i read boiling works i will give that a try and see on a small amoount. i may boil it then screen it i would think that would be ok. would screening it pull enough stuff out to make it safe for the barrel. i know impurites are not good for shooting alot. any ideas or thoughts on this matter

jballs918
07-14-2006, 07:18 PM
had a thought, would a fish net for a inside tank work for this. if so i got like 4 of them

jballs918
07-14-2006, 07:21 PM
and also has anyone ever tried diatomaceous earth for a filter. i read about that also

LET-CA
07-14-2006, 07:41 PM
and also has anyone ever tried diatomaceous earth for a filter. i read about that also
You'd end up with big ball of very polluted wax. Pouring it hot through cheesecloth is the cheapest easiest solution unless you have access to a temperature controlled pressurized filter like the pros use to process large quantities of wax. It doesn't have to be pretty to be effective. You're just getting the big lumps of critter and dirt out.

db2
07-14-2006, 10:15 PM
What I have seen after boiling my wax is dirt on the bottom after it hardens back up, and dirt in the bottom of the pot. After I get the wax out of the pot I then scrape off the bottom of the wax with an old butter knife. I Also found out, to much wax in the pot makes it really hard to get out of the pot. I try to keep the wax at about 1 inch thick.

IMHO I do not believe that there would be anything suspended in the wax that is going to hurt your barrel any more than what is suspended in the lead of the cast boolit.

db2

alamogunr
07-14-2006, 11:08 PM
What I have seen after boiling my wax is dirt on the bottom after it hardens back up, and dirt in the bottom of the pot. After I get the wax out of the pot I then scrape off the bottom of the wax with an old butter knife. I Also found out, to much wax in the pot makes it really hard to get out of the pot. I try to keep the wax at about 1 inch thick.

IMHO I do not believe that there would be anything suspended in the wax that is going to hurt your barrel any more than what is suspended in the lead of the cast boolit.

db2

This has been my experience too. Next time I'm going to try the cheesecloth or pantyhose method. If the wax will go thru the pantyhose, I think that it will filter out more trash than cheesecloth.
John

waksupi
07-15-2006, 12:30 AM
Jason, I believe that is very abrasive. Not what I would think to use in a barrel.

redneckdan
07-15-2006, 12:58 AM
I boil the wax in a pot of water. Once the wax is molten and has boiled for a good 5 minutes, kill the heat and let it settle. The wax will float to the top, the shmuzt goes to the bottom, ladle off the wax. Or let it get hard and just break the chunks off.

Lloyd Smale
07-15-2006, 06:01 AM
I just melt the raw wax in one can then ladle it into another that im making lube in. The majority of the junk settles to the bottom of the pot. I just throw the little on the bottom thats full of junk away. LIke was said earlier theres probably nothing in it thats going to hurt your barrel. Probably more dust in the air that hits your lubed bullets then the small amount in the little bit of lube that used on a bullet. Ive got guns with over 10000 rounds through them using lube made like this and the barrels still look like new.

Last Spike
07-16-2006, 03:07 AM
Just another idea, when one puts the wax in the pot to melt, add some water also. That way when the wax heats up, the dirt falls into the water layer with the wax floating on top of the water and the dirt. One then doesn't have to worry about dirt and wax mixed together at the bottom of the pot and we never had to strain the wax through cheesecloth. Worked quite well for me and my dad when we were involved in beekeeping.

Joel Lehman
07-18-2006, 10:58 PM
For safety I always use a double boiler when I melt beeswax. I use a 1 lb coffee can inside of a 3 lb coffee can filled with water.