PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Gas Checks?

Bass Ackward
07-14-2006, 10:34 AM
I decided to order some 44 GCs with a Midway order that I placed and I missed the Hornady sale (if that's what you want to call it) on 44 gas checks. So I decided to buy the last box of Lymans because they were $6.00 cheaper.

My Lyman checks are no longer like Lyman checkes of old. They have the crimp lip inside just like the Hornady's. We have known that Hornady has been making Lyman and RCBS checks for the longest, but I didn't know they were just like the Hornady checks.

I also don't know if this applies to all calibers or what, just that my 44s were basically Hornady checks in a Lyman box at a discount to Hornady prices.

added: Now there is a $10 difference in price. Can you believe it?

cherok9878
07-14-2006, 11:15 AM
Check out Midsouth shooters supply, 44 cal,Hornady GC = $27.93, Lyman = $24.28
30 & 35 cal, $19.99.
Midsouth has, in most cases, been cheaper than Midway. Not knocking Midway, I have ordered a ton of stuff from them. Very good service.

redneckdan
07-14-2006, 11:19 AM
I have an account at both midway and midsouth. I will gather identical shoping carts at each store and buy the cheaper one. Midway is usually cheaper on presses and such tools. Midsouth seems to be better on moulds and components.

Bass Ackward
07-14-2006, 11:24 AM
Oh I know. but I had to get some stuff that I could only get from Midway and was already paying the charge. My Lyman checks were 23.99 which was cheaper than MidSouth at the time. And Mid South just seems to come in under Midway most times anyway. But I just looked at Midway today to make sure what I was saying was correct and 44 Hornady checks are now like $34.

Bottom line is that I used to avoid the Lymans. If they are the same as Hornady's in every caliber, then I simply buy the cheapest brand available no matter what name is on the box. Cause this is rediculous.

LET-CA
07-14-2006, 11:57 AM
I get my 44 Cal gas checks (Hornady) for $20 a box from Widener's Shooting Supplies. I just checked their price - still $20/1000 I bought two boxes within the last month.