PDA

View Full Version : First 1911

Nate1778
04-10-2010, 10:34 AM
Should be picking up my first 1911 next week and need to start to get some reloading gear on its way here for it. In the past I have always ordered the Lee 2 cavity molds and when I found a bullet I really liked I would then buy the 6 cavity version for mass production. I am thinking about just starting with the 6-cavity and am considering this one. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=110378
Whats your thoughts on the bullet if you have used it in the past. I use a similar bullet in my .38 and like the holes it punches. Any input would be great, would like to stay in the 180-210 grain range for target. Thanks

runfiverun
04-10-2010, 10:40 AM
that is more for 45 colt, however, many acp's will feed a boolit of that shape just fine.
both of mine will feed 160 gr rnfps, 2 different 200 swc's, 225 rnfp's, 230 rn's,and 250 rnfp's.

243winxb
04-10-2010, 10:44 AM
This one > 452-200-SWC http://www.leeprecision.com/html/catalog/bullmol2.html

Nate1778
04-10-2010, 10:54 AM
Its either this one or Lee's TL TC bullet in consideration. This is for paper punching so accuracy and hole clarity is what I would like. The TC works well in my 9mm but looses accuracy pretty great after about 25 yards. Accurate up to that though and I understand a lot of that has to do with the bullet design. These are just two I am looking at, if anybody else suggest another I am all ears.

missionary5155
04-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Good morning
Not knowing what type cal. 45 1911 you are getting I would hesitate to say any thing but a round nose will work. They are NOT all created = .
But with some ramp polishing and possible a little chamber mouth work most any shape with a good magazine will feed.
Trubcated noses all feed in my 1911īs but all have been polished and some have had the mouth edge removed. But a RN will normally feed in all.
I have pretty much settled on the 200 grainers RN or TC for all my shooting. I use 30-1 for hunting / defense and 50/50 for just plinking about. 6-7 grains Unique seems to be my favorite loadings.
Depending on the particul pistol you will have OK accuracy (5" at 25 yards) or maybe a real keeper. Mine have all run the gamet. My worst is an origonal Colt from 1918... my best is a Auto Ord that has been tightened up but still very reliable. The rest fit in and would be more than sutable for what they were designed to do. My FAVORITE is my Remington Rand. 1943 vintage and in descent shape for a arm that endured 2 years war then other assignments for numerous years.
But they work and will outlast all of if you do the basic maintanence and do not decide it is a magnum in disguise.

Nate1778
04-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Sorry, this is supposedly a lightly used RIA Tactical model. Looking forward to it but have no ammo for when I pick it up, and I refuse to buy factory ammo.

StarMetal
04-10-2010, 11:11 AM
First off it would be nice to have bullets ready when the gun arrives but I really wouldn't assemble any ammo until I had the gun in hand. That way you can pull the barrel and try you ammo for fit. Too many times I've read here where members have loaded hundreds of rounds ( and not tried one in their barrel) only to find out they didn't chamber or something else was the matter.

Next the most common 45acp bullet for paper punching and accuracy are the 185 to 200 grain semi wadcutters. That's what I use, they are accurate, they cut nice full holes.

Like these:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=187705

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=621168

archmaker
04-10-2010, 11:24 AM
That is what I am shooting out of my 45, for IDPA. It seems to provide good accuracy but I want to spend some more range time, last time I was limited to only shooting standing and had to rush.

Shooting an IDPA match I have about two jams per match, I believe a lot of that is my fault as I am still learning how to feed an autoloader. Also it is a new 45 to me and I have only had it for about a year, but there was long period of no shooting.

I am guessing I am at the 600 rounds through the gun at this point. Jams are happening less frequently and I have figured out one of the reason for the jams. (I think I am not getting enough crimp all the time, causing a forced jam - where the round is forced in the chamber by the slide but the slide does not close all the way, making it hard to open the slide)

Echo
04-10-2010, 11:33 AM
I agree with the above recommendations. I use a Lyman 452460 200 gr SWC in both my .45's, my house gun and my wad gun, and they feed and fire nicely, and they are similar to the SWC's mentioned above. Be sure to leave 30-40 thousandths of the shoulder of the SWC protruding - it will engrave a little bit when chambered, reduce endplay, and improve accuracy.

SciFiJim
04-10-2010, 11:37 AM
Nate, the mold you specified ( the Lee 452-200rf) is the first mold I bought when I started casting. I use it in my Kimber Compact and it runs very well. The only issue I have is that it shoots low for me. I need to try a heavier boolit to see if that will raise the POI.

Nate1778
04-10-2010, 11:39 AM
Well I have a bit a time to get the reloading parts as some of them are on back order at Midway. I use Midway due to the C&R discount. So I should have the gun long before I cast the first bullet. This is one of those guns that I "shouldn't" buy right now, but its a hard bargain to pass on. Lets put it this way, it will have to be snuck into the safe, if you know what I am talking about. I am just not knowledgeable (to the specific hiccups and best bullet) in this caliber and looking for some good bullet ideas. Thanks for the info thus far guys and taking it to heart.

HeavyMetal
04-10-2010, 11:49 AM
The Lee 200 grain Rf looks like a good mold but I have no experience with it.

Were I to be buying my first 45 mold this would one of my first choices.

What I do have is a pair of the Lee H&G 68 clone molds as well as a pair of the GB "Ball" copy mold from a year or so ago.

The Lee H&G copy cuts a nice clean hole, can't imagine the RF does it better, and feeds clean and smooth in every 1911 I try it in So dn't be afraid of it.

Let us know what you buy and how it works.

StarMetal
04-10-2010, 12:00 PM
The only problem with a RN is that they don't cut a nice hole in the target. Other then that they are accurate and feed the best. I also feel the SWC's are better on taking game with.

gray wolf
04-10-2010, 02:22 PM
Slug that barrel for the right fit.
Sorry for the short post but it's important.

gefiltephish
04-10-2010, 07:21 PM
The Lee conventional lube 200 swc has a narrow meplat that does not always like to feed in my RIA. This is the only boolit I've tried that this gun doesn't like. My ramps have been polished by Arnel. Other 200 swc's seem to feed fine though, even the Lee TL, but I haven't had much success with tumble lubing.

Matt_G
04-10-2010, 08:21 PM
I second Echo's recommendation of the Lyman 452460. Great boolit!
I know it's not a Lee and you can't get it in a 6-cav but it's worth considering. At least you can get it in a 4-cav.
Having said that, with the way Lyman QC has been lately (read seemingly non-existent) I would be leery of buying a brand new mould of theirs.
Another fine boolit for the 45 ACP is the Lyman 452488. Neither one of these boolits have ever given me cause to complain.

Keep on eye open for used 4-cav moulds for these two boolits.
If you ever get one in decent shape, you'll be glad you did. Be warned however, if a decent 4-cav 452488 shows up here, you best beat me to it cause I want one. All I have is a 2-cav and Lyman has discontinued that boolit. :(

If you would like to try these boolits Nate, let me know via PM. I'd be happy to send you some 452460's and/or 452488's for you to test once you get your gun in hand.

Nate1778
04-10-2010, 09:16 PM
Thanks Matt, I might take you up on that. I know on my 9mm I bought 4 2-cavity molds for it before I found that "bullet" to order a larger mold. I don't want to do that anymore.

HangFireW8
04-10-2010, 09:47 PM
Depending on the particul pistol you will have OK accuracy (5" at 25 yards) or maybe a real keeper. Mine have all run the gamet. My worst is an origonal Colt from 1918... my best is a Auto Ord that has been tightened up but still very reliable.

I have to chuckle at this because my worst 1911 was an AO and the best two are Colt's. Nothing wrong with your experience, it just goes to show that each gun is a physical law unto itself and no one brand always produces a winner.

-HF

pistolman44
04-11-2010, 12:39 AM
Get a good taper crimp die. use this die as your fourth die. The 3rd to to seat bullet. As said remove your barrel and after taper crimping drop the bullet into the barrel to see if it chambers. If tight or don't go all the way in then adjust your taper crimp die for more tighter crimp. Sizing to .451 shouldn't give any trouble. If I was you I have a gunsmith throat and polish the barrel for you.

mpmarty
04-11-2010, 01:13 AM
Nate congrats on the new 1911. I've got the RIA tactical too and it eats anything I feed it. Currently the LEE 230 gr. TLTC over a hefty load of RedDot.
Buy extra magazines from RIA if you can they are great.

dubber123
04-11-2010, 05:22 AM
Nate, if you would like some 200 RF's to try in your gun before you buy a mould let me know. My brother did not have much luck in his S&W 1911 with them, but thats just his gun. I have shot them over a heavy charge of Power Pistol powder from my 625 revolver, and they shot very well at 50 yards.

Phillip
04-11-2010, 02:46 PM
Hi Nate

The 45 Auto is pretty forgiving on what you feed it. The only times I have encountered jamming or feed problems with my modified colt, is either the boolit is seated to deep in the shell case, or I have the wrong weight recoil spring installed for the load.

If your going to go with the Lee molds, I would go with This One (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=336035)

As for load, its pretty cookie cutter, there are listings all over for it. But depending on load or boolit weight, you my want to change your recoil spring.

This is average list that I start out with:
625-750 FPS = Light Recoil Spring
725-875 FPS = Medium Recoil Spring
850+ FPS = Heavy Recoil Spring

35remington
04-11-2010, 05:07 PM
Keep in mind that the 200 RF is not intended for the 45 ACP, and has a nonstandard feed profile and overall length.

Which means that while it may feed in many guns, other designs are more likely to feed in most guns.

Keep in mind varying spring weights are themselves nonstandard. Heavy springs increase the battering of the lug feet on the barrel; there's no free lunch, and heavy springs may increase the odds of malfunctions, as will extra light springs.

The 1911 runs best when it's run with the spring rates and loads it's designed to run with, and nonstandard bullet designs and heavy spring rates get away from that.

This should hardly be surprising.

DLCTEX
04-11-2010, 05:57 PM
My old Auto Ord. digests anything from 185 to 255 gr. boolits well in all nose shapes. My sons 1911s are picky, with a Springfield requiring RN only. I really like the 200 RF, but you need to try them in your gun to see if it likes them.

fredj338
04-11-2010, 07:18 PM
I have that bullet mold, nice 45colt round for CAS & does shoot in several of my 1911, but the various 200grSWC are likely to work a bit better. That big flat point & short OAL can cause feeding problems in some guns.

Nate1778
04-12-2010, 07:58 AM
Thanks guy, I may take a couple of your offers up to see how they feed.

Cherokee
04-12-2010, 08:58 PM
SWC cuts a nice hole for target shooting. You might try the 200 gr SWC. I personally have been using the TC design in my 45's for over 30 years, with a few SWC's thrown in for variety. Of the several + 45's I have owned or shot with my TC ammo, never had a feeding problem - they should feed like ball RN.

boomboy
04-13-2010, 01:40 AM
Congrats! IMHO 1911 is the only waty to go! Just a thought though.... round nose is more forgiving of dirt and grime. I know it is off topic but the lee 1000 progressive a great buy and a real time saver.

mike in co
04-13-2010, 01:45 PM
The only problem with a RN is that they don't cut a nice hole in the target. Other then that they are accurate and feed the best. I also feel the SWC's are better on taking game with.

i have never had a target complain............................

( yes crisp round holes are easy to see, but not all 45's will feed semi wadcutters)

mike in co

mike in co
04-13-2010, 01:52 PM
go to the for sale section, and in the want section, ask for some sample boolits.

make some dummies and hand cycle them.

make a couple of loaded and shoot them.

it took me a couple of moulds to get ONE that would work in TWO diff 45's at the same oal/same load.

ohh and the 1911 was designed around a 230 rn....just remember that.

mike in co

Nate1778
04-13-2010, 04:15 PM
OK picked it up and its a peach, gentleman was as good a guy as someone could do a transaction with. I got a PM to a buddy of mine that has a 1911 and may have some bullets to try, if not I will probably PM those whom have offered up samples. I appreciate your guys help and I am totally happy with this gun, if it shoots half as good as it looks I am going to be grinning ear to ear.

Matt_G
04-13-2010, 04:19 PM
Glad to hear you have the gun in hand and you're happy with it. :drinks:
Keep us posted.

Nate1778
05-05-2010, 01:07 PM
Finally got some loads downrange. I bought two molds the 230g TLTC and the 200g TLSWC. I was also fortunate enough to be able to try some of the boollits that started this thread thanks to dubber123 and his generosity in sending me bullets at no cost, thanks. First on those, they did not do well, so I got to say thanks to dubber for saving me the cost of the mold. They would not even go half way into battery.

I did really enjoy the 200 SWC though and they were ACCURATE. Below is a pic, now these are from about 10 yards and I felt really good with the group, mind you I always have that one stray. Pushing them with 8g of AA#5 and a CCI LPP, makes for a fairly active load and I may think about backing it off a bit for comfort. I will check for leading this evening as I am quickly figuring out field stripping a 1911 is not as easy as a Glock. Not knocking it in the least, its just to difficult to break it down after every group or two when you on the clock.

Only problem I had with either of the two bullets, is going full into battery. I had probably 8 out of 50 rounds not even go click due to it being a wee bit out of battery. They did not feel sticky coming out but may have been to long. I am at 1.18 right now. Should I go shorter or adjust my crimp a bit more. Also, like in 9mm should I back off powder the shorter the cartridge?

Thanks for the advice guys.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w157/nate1778/0505101228b.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w157/nate1778/0505101228a.jpg

Matt_G
05-05-2010, 02:05 PM
I have loaded my Lyman 452460's as long as 1.205" and not had problems. Not sure how that boolit compares to what you're using.
One thing to check is the outside diameter of the case mouth after crimping. With many pistols, anything bigger than .470" can cause the "wee bit" out of battery problem.

With regards to powder charge versus length, what is the OAL given for that load in your manual? If you go shorter than that, yes I would back off the powder. Of course it depends on how much shorter you go. Just a few thou shouldn't make a big difference IMHO. I could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time. :lol:

Nate1778
05-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Sorry, left that info out, and I don't have the manual (Lee's) in front of me but I believe it was 1.21. The 1.18 is the longest it will go before I contact the lands.

dubber123
05-05-2010, 03:49 PM
My brothers S&W 1911 had difficulties with the 200 RF's I sent you also. With the short nose, I generally relegate them to use in the 625 revolver. I did not weigh the batch I sent, but most fall at at 215 grains, which was a nice surprise. I'm sure you will find a design that you are happy with. One good thing about the .45 bore is there is no shortage of designs to try.

Nate1778
05-05-2010, 04:04 PM
Yeah Dubber thanks again, there is a SA long colt in the future, and that bullet will be on the top of my list.