PDA

View Full Version : 58 Big Boar

George Tucker
04-09-2010, 03:24 PM
Ive got my share of caplocks and Flintlocks, but i always wanted a 58 cal. I was in a Gun Shop the other day, and a guy mentioned he had a TC 58 Big Boar,, said he would take $300.00 for it, so now i have a 58 cal, iam a happy camper, George.

saz
04-09-2010, 04:31 PM
Ive got my share of caplocks and Flintlocks, but i always wanted a 58 cal. I was in a Gun Shop the other day, and a guy mentioned he had a TC 58 Big Boar, that was in his house that was new and unfired, said he would take $300.00 for it, so now i have a 58 cal, iam a happy camper, George.

You STOLE that rifle!!!! :kidding: I have seen unfired in the box bigboars go for 450-600 dollars and REALLY beat up ones go for no less than 300..... GOOD FIND! Enjoy that .58!

Greg in Malad
04-09-2010, 07:25 PM
That's a great deal! Did he have another one? At that price I'll take two.

missionary5155
04-09-2010, 09:13 PM
Good evening
Sounds like you you have your hearts desire.
58īs is a fine hunting caliber. I plopped plenty of whitetails with mine. I know for sure a .57 ball sitting on 85 grains with break the spine of one nice doe and penetrate completely through the chest of the bigger doe standing 3 feet away. Sure made for alot of work but I would not have thought I would ever get the opportunity to do so. This shot was with my Zouave at 30 yards.
My 58 flinterīs (2) have never had that chance.

smoked turkey
04-09-2010, 09:34 PM
I was in a local gun shop today and told the owner to keep his eyes out for a 58 bore. Reading these makes me want one all the more!! The TC 58 Big Boar would be just the ticket, at $300 ofcourse.
George could you post a picture of yours for us to see?

nicholst55
04-09-2010, 11:21 PM
Reading this makes me want to finish up my Edward Marshall .62 flintlock and go shoot it!

Hellgate
04-10-2010, 12:49 AM
I've always liked the58s. I've been looking for a Big Boar and have everything BUT one. Got a Zouave, St. Louis Hawken, Musketoon, and a Buffalo Hunter. The 2 deer and one elk I got did not go far. So far, have not recovered any lead.

Tom W.
04-10-2010, 03:12 AM
I"ve been wanting one for some time now....Enjoy yours!

George Tucker
04-10-2010, 03:34 AM
Thanks Guys, i dont have the knack for posting pics, i can send a pic to one of you guys, if you would post it for me, George.

saz
04-10-2010, 04:30 AM
That's a great deal! Did he have another one? At that price I'll take two.

AMEN!!!

"I've always liked the58s. I've been looking for a Big Boar and have everything BUT one. Got a Zouave, St. Louis Hawken, Musketoon, and a Buffalo Hunter. The 2 deer and one elk I got did not go far. So far, have not recovered any lead."

You are missing a Kodiak SXS in .58. You will love it.

DwarvenChef
04-10-2010, 04:32 AM
I'm still beating myself up for passing up a new big boar for 350 about 5 years ago... Now I'm beating my self up again for remembering that I passed it up... [smilie=b:[smilie=b:[smilie=b:

wilddog45
04-10-2010, 07:11 AM
I got my T/C Big Boar when they still made them for $225 new, in the box. It's a shame they quit making them as it is my favorite big bore. It's kind of fun being able to blow 2" branch's off trees. I mainly shoot roundball out of mine but I wish T/C made a mold for their maxi hunter for the 58, at 550gr it was a whopper.

northmn
04-12-2010, 10:30 AM
I got my T/C Big Boar when they still made them for $225 new, in the box. It's a shame they quit making them as it is my favorite big bore. It's kind of fun being able to blow 2" branch's off trees. I mainly shoot roundball out of mine but I wish T/C made a mold for their maxi hunter for the 58, at 550gr it was a whopper.

Reminded of a deer I shot at with a 58. I walked it up and it turned to look at me. I made a quick shot and watched a sapling slowly fall over (it was the only one between the deer and me. Should have felt proud as it took a good shot to directly hit that sapling to make it fall over like that. The deer ran a ways with its tail up and stopped to look at me for a minute while I started to reload. It then trotted off. Wherever the ball went it did not hit deer.
CVA made a variation of the Mountain rifle in a 58 that would be another good find.

Northmn

swamp
04-13-2010, 12:28 AM
My favorite 58 is the Parker/Hale Musketoon. Like the short length and handiness of it.

The boolits I use most in it are the Lyman semi wadcutter style and a NEI # 575-500.

If I did it right the pic is the NEI boolit. The mould is Walt did.

dualsport
04-14-2010, 09:37 PM
Last week I got a used mold for my .58 Zouave. For the last 25 yrs. or so it's just been the old style Lyman Minie 575213(?) or patched round balls. Thought I'd try something new, it's a Lee 472 gr. modern minie hollow base. I've not been able to get a good cast yet, but have only dabbled. The mold blocks don't want to line up, and when I get it shut good it still casts off a bit. It is an old tired mold, but I like old stuff. Anyone using this conical in their .58? It looks like it would scrape the fouling pretty good when being rammed down the barrel. The thing looks a bit like a giant wadcutter, ought to wreak havoc on a critter or a paper target.

mooman76
04-15-2010, 12:18 AM
I have used that mould in the 50 but not the 58 and it did good. I do have the Lee 58 mould that is a copy of the original minie. It shoots good enough for minute of deer but I wouldn't be target shooting with it but I don't have a very tight twist for my 58 hawkin.

hamour
04-15-2010, 12:34 AM
I bought a 58 bigboar with a peep sight from the custom shop at tc. Then put a Green Mountain drop in roundball bbl on it and have never looked back. The GM bbl is a much better RB gun, but the shorter Bigboar bbl is nice for hunting. RB are plenty heavy and recoil with minies is not to my liking.

You will like the 58 for hunting.

Keep your eyes open over at the muzzleloading forum want adds and you can pick up the ocasional .58 or .62 caliber bbls for the Bigboar. Not to mention you can learn a lot abour RB shooting. Be careful of the flintlock bug as it bites hard over there.
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/pp-classifieds/index.php

wilddog45
04-15-2010, 05:44 AM
Does GM still offer the roundball bbl? What is the twist?

roverboy
04-19-2010, 08:27 AM
Anybody ever seen a H&R (Huntsman I think) .58? I know its a inline but nice rifles. Kinda unique. A friend of mine has one that he's never fired. It belonged to his father.

RBak
04-28-2010, 12:50 PM
Does GM still offer the roundball bbl? What is the twist?
The .58 Big Boar is another muzzleloader I have always wanted, just never got me one of those "round-tuits" like I should have, early on.

In fact, I have been looking for a .58 drop-in barrel for my .56 SB but apparently they are few and far between. The last time I looked at GM they did have one in flint, and IIRC the twist is 1:72
They do have just the barrel if you fit the breech plug, drill the flash hole, and do the rest by yourself....which many folks do.

ToTW has "supposedly" had the .58 cap-lock "drop-in" barrels on back-order for some time now, and Dick at Pecatonica LR says I shouldn't hold my breath as we may have seen the last of 'em.

I have a 1861 3-Band Colt in .58 and it is just fine...if ya like a really looong barrel.
I believe that twist is 1:77 IIRC, but what I would really like to do is put a 33" .58 cal drop-in on the old .56 Renegade.

Of course I've been saying this for what seems like forever, and I ain't no closer today than I was back when.

Russ...

Swampman
05-01-2010, 09:51 AM
I had a .58 caliber GM drop in round ball barrel for awhile. I wish I'd kept it.