PDA

View Full Version : AZ Constitutional Carry bill passed!

Three-Fifty-Seven
04-09-2010, 09:08 AM
Howdy!

We finally have passed the right to carry law here in Arizona! which basically says if your legal to own a hand gun, you may carry it, even if it is concealed without a permit!

AZ-CDL (which if your not a member and live in AZ you should be!) writes:
SB 1108, the Constitutional Carry bill, passed the House Third Read on April 8th by a vote of 36-19 with 5 Representatives not voting. This was the final vote for this bill in the Legislature. We made history today, and none of this would have been possible without YOUR involvement. To see the final vote tally for the bill, check here:
http://tinyurl.com/y9yx264

SB 1108 eliminates the prohibition and penalties for law-abiding adults who carry a concealed weapon without a permit. The bill has been sent back to the Senate and from there will be transmitted to the Governor for her consideration. A letter to the Governor, urging her to sign SB 1108, has been prepared and is waiting for you at AzCDL's Action Center:
http://azcdl.capwiz.com/azcdl/issues/alert/?alertid=14907736

There is also a million gun march on Phoenix 4-19 noon - 2pm see you there!

Down South
04-09-2010, 10:26 AM
That's GREAT!!!!! I look forward to other states following the same path.

44mag1
04-09-2010, 10:41 AM
so now what do I do with my CCW??

Dennis Eugene
04-09-2010, 10:50 AM
If by CCW you mean your Concealed Carry Weapon you carry it concealed. If by CCW you mean your concealed carry permit you keep it as it may allow you to still carry in other states. Here in Alaska we have had concealed carry with out the permit for several years now, how ever I have kept my permit current so as to be permitted to carry in other states I may visit. Dennis

jlchucker
04-09-2010, 10:53 AM
Way to go Arizona!! Over the past couple of weeks I've run into about 4 different folks from Vermont, my state, who are in the process of fleeing here and moving there. I never thought of going to AZ, and wondered about the gun laws there. Picking a State to flee to is tough for us here, because we've never had any gun laws other than felons can't have them. More States need to follow the lead of AZ.

44mag1
04-09-2010, 01:51 PM
Way to go Arizona!! Over the past couple of weeks I've run into about 4 different folks from Vermont, my state, who are in the process of fleeing here and moving there. I never thought of going to AZ, and wondered about the gun laws there. Picking a State to flee to is tough for us here, because we've never had any gun laws other than felons can't have them. More States need to follow the lead of AZ.

Move to AZ, buy a NICE house cheap at a foreclosure sale. After all these vacant houses are sold we can get back to a "normal" economy.

Three-Fifty-Seven
04-09-2010, 03:07 PM

I was born in Springfield, VT, moved away in 07 . . . to sunshiny AZ!

Your AZ CCW permit, still will allow you to carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol, providing you are not consuming alcohol, (while people who don't have a permit, legally can not) and it makes buying a gun easier as you don't have to get a background check for each gun . . . also allows you to carry in other states that reciprocate with us!

looseprojectile
04-09-2010, 04:23 PM
we in Washington will enjoy that freedom. Sour old female democrat Governor sees no need for guns, or freedom for that matter. I feel sorry for those that live in States or cities where it is hard or impossible to get a license.
I read that the legislature here just recently vetoed raising the sales tax. Small favors.
I don't have much money to spend so it don't cost me much for taxes.
I have had a concealed carry license for fifty years and have never had to show it to a cop. When I first got my license it cost a buck and a quarter, It is now forty, I think. I may not renew as a cost cutting measure. Cost cutting needs to be a compulsory course in schools and colleges.
It's about revenue and controll. And it is about growing government to use all the money that they collect, and collecting more, and, and, and.
Don't get me started!!!!
I don't know whether I would move to Alaska or Arizona. I don't like the cold:coffee:.

Life is good

44fanatic
04-09-2010, 05:30 PM
I need to move back to AZ but the wife hates the desert.

123DB...Noticed you live in Cochise County, I used to be stationed down there at Huachuca. Loved being able to go out into the desert and shoot. Heck, who knows, maybe I will end up out there, dropped a few job apps that way. How easy is it to find lead, or do you have all the sources tied up?...LOL

Three-Fifty-Seven
04-10-2010, 03:30 PM
There are still some ww left . . . but I end up buying most of it . . . no free lunch no more!

I live over South of Willcox . . .

Three-Fifty-Seven
04-10-2010, 03:32 PM
I don't know whether I would move to Alaska or Arizona. I don't like the cold:coffee:.

Life is good

You won't like AZ . . . it gets cold here! :mrgreen:

[smilie=s:

44fanatic
04-10-2010, 04:13 PM

[smilie=s:

Can attest to that...December of 2000, was outside for about 30 minutes marching troops to class and had two inches of snow on my back.

AZ-Stew
04-10-2010, 04:22 PM
I just hope they don't drop the CCW permit as a cost-cutting measure. I'd prefer to keep mine for the reasons stated by Diesel.

Regards,

Stew

Bad Water Bill
04-10-2010, 05:06 PM
And here in Illinois Mayor Daley keeps saying over my dead body. Well he might have a heart attack on TV when Otis wins his Supreme Court case in May.[smilie=l:

04-10-2010, 06:37 PM
Arizona has always been near the top of my "Gonna' Move To" list, once I'm able to leave California. It just may have moved up a notch.

Three-Fifty-Seven
04-10-2010, 10:19 PM
Is this just for Residents of Arizona ?
From what is posted here it reads like any US Citizen visiting Arizona who is legal to own a firearm, can carry concealed. Yes or No ?

Bill,

Yes, it will cover any US citizen that can legally own a hand gun. (21 years old, no felony conviction . . . blah blah blah)

Bad Water Bill
04-10-2010, 10:40 PM
I fell in love with AZ when I landed at the Phoenix airport in 1961. It took 1/2 hour taxi ride to get to downtown on a 2 lane road. What did you people do to my nice LITTLE town? :smile:Yes I have open carried there for many years. Maybe in a year or 2 I can move down there.

Houndog
04-11-2010, 08:19 AM
Wellll
This IS bad news for Kalifornicate! A bunch of the street thugs will be relocating there! You know, all that stuff about hazardous working conditions, and it just went up in Arizona a bunch! Good for you folks, and good for your government for enforcing what the 2nd Amendment is!

Three-Fifty-Seven
04-11-2010, 08:27 AM
Just so you know . . . theres gonna be a "Million Gun March" on Phoenix April 19 at Noon

Arizona is going to have its own "Second Amendment March" on Monday, April 19, to coordinate with the massive gun-rights rally expected in Washington D.C. http://www.secondamendmentmarch.com

What I hear is that a lot of people are planning to take their safely holstered sidearms out for a walk... to the state capital from High Noon to 2 p.m. No one is organizing this thing, it's pure grass roots, no speechifying, no sound stage, just brown bag lunches on the lawn. Lots of lunches on the lawn. With beach blankets and folding chairs.

In Arizona, with all the firearm freedoms we enjoy, it'll be more like a celebration of our rights and "the shot heard 'round the world" than a protest rally against the evil elitist anti-rights bottom-feeding bigots clustered in D.C. The battle at Lexington/Concord occurred on April 19, 1775.

In fact, local politicians who will be in session during this picnic are not particularly invited. Actually, we do have some excellent very pro-rights politicians in this state, and some will likely show their faces and press the flesh.

I plan to just descend on the capital and bring a hero sandwich, to hearken back to America's heroes past and present (plus, I really like hero sandwiches even though they're fattening). Will I see you there? This is no time to sit on the sidelines.

I'll also bring some homemade signs, something about our gun rights, just like most other people will do.

By the time people swing by in Phoenix (1700 W. Washington, just west of Wesley Bolin Plaza), the D.C. event will be nearly over due to the time difference. So we'll know how well that went as long as we get our info anywhere but the lamestream "news" that suppresses such things. (The 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. east coast rally is 7 a.m. - 1 p.m. local time here.)

:mrgreen:

Dframe
04-11-2010, 11:58 AM
Great news. Unfortunately I live in the peoples republic of Illinois where private citizens are not permitted to cary.

klcarroll
04-11-2010, 12:46 PM
Great news. Unfortunately I live in the peoples republic of Illinois where private citizens are not permitted to cary.

There are NO "Private Citizens" in the P.R.I.!!!

You exist to support the State and its goals and objectives; ....Consequently ANY consideration of your "privacy" or "private life" is generally counter to the collective good!

You should be content to joyfully work your 60 hours a week to support the vision of our leaders like Chairman Daley and the recently departed Grand Exalted Governor Blagojevich!!! (For only they truly see "The Shining Path"!)

:kidding::kidding::kidding:

Kent

Wayne R. Scott
04-11-2010, 03:19 PM

[smilie=s:

This is true. I lived in Phoenix for 10 years and twice in that time we had winter storm warnings. The first time we had to wear socks for a day and the second time we could only stay in the swimming pool for 30 minutes.

Wayne

Bad Water Bill
04-11-2010, 04:30 PM
Wayne
I drove down the main hiway out of Phoenix one time and it was so warm the ORANGE fruit was BOILING. This was in March:smile:

klcarroll
Don't forget our present license plate maker Georgie Ryan. (please let me out early cause my wife is sick) It didn't bother him one bit how many people had to take 1/2 doses of their medication because he raised the price of everything he possibly could.

jmsj
04-11-2010, 07:21 PM
Well done Arizona !!!!
We have concealed carry here in NM, but usually it cost about $300.00-400.00. I was able to get a permit for less but It kind of ticked me off to have to pay for something that was already my right to do. Congradulations for getting it done right.
Now that Arizona has got it done right, maybe citzens all over the country will demand their rights. jmsj

Three-Fifty-Seven
04-15-2010, 08:55 AM
Howdy all!

The Governor still has this sitting on her desk! This needs to not get vetoed!

I sent her another note urging her to sign this!

Everybody needs to contact her as she needs to hear from us.

Alan Corwin wrote:

Would you like to encourage your governor Jan Brewer to sign the Constitutional Carry bill? Your voice matters, especially since elements within the government-mandated CCW-trainer cartel are seeking a veto! I kid you not. The law expanding our freedom threatens their rice bowl, so they abandon freedom (with mealy-mouthed excuses like we're too stupid to exercise our rights without them)! Plus, anti-rights bigots are pressing to defeat the bill (no surprise there). Plus, false conservatives are revealing their true colors and seeking to kill this fine freedom-enhancing bill.

SPEAK RIGHTEOUSLY:

You know I'm a words guy.

I think we give up ground in the gun-rights debate when we talk about concealed carry.

Concealed means you're hiding something.
You have something to hide.
People who conceal things may be up to no good.

The AP story on Constitutional Carry relied on saying our guns are hidden.
We have guns to hide. This does not help. It hurts. It's a slur.

What I want is to carry a firearm discreetly.
I'm glad we are close to getting discreet carry in Arizona.
The right to bear arms discreetly is an important right.

When I'm armed, under routine circumstance in public, there is value in being unobtrusive.

Although open carry has its merits, and I'm looking forward to the open-carry picnic scheduled for the capitol on April 19 at noon, being unobtrusive often is a good thing.

You won't find "concealed" or "hide" escaping my lips.
And when I'm discreetly armed, you won't know it.
Because being unobtrusive is a good thing in this day and age.

If the law is enacted, when I put out my announcement about it nationwide, you'll see careful use of language that defies the hate mongers and hoplophobes in the "news" media covering the story. And you will not see that we are now "allowed" to carry discreetly. You'll see we are now free to be discreet. Hopefully, eventually, some of them will pick up on it. I certainly hope you all will.

discretionary carry? courteous carry? considerate carry?
compassionate carry? decent carry? American carry?
subtle carry? handbag carry? normal carry?
Constitutional Carry
Freedom To Carry
Arizona Carry

ACT NOW!

Rockydog
04-15-2010, 09:00 PM
Sounds like it's a little late:

Ariz. rancher killed, likely by illegal immigrant
Thursday, April 01, 2010

A prominent Arizona rancher likely was killed by an illegal immigrant, but there's no evidence to suggest there was any confrontation that led to the shooting, sheriff's investigators said.

Robert Krentz, 58, was a third generation rancher who was inducted into the Arizona Farming and Ranching Hall of Fame one year ago. He has served as president of the Cochise-Graham Cattlegrowers Association.

"We know this," Cochise County Sheriff Larry Dever said at a news briefing. "Robert was shot. His dog was shot. He was in an all-terrain vehicle and he never got out of the vehicle. "There is absolutely no reason this had to happen other than the bad intentions of one sick, sorry individual that we hope to be able to catch up to very quickly," Dever said.

Krentz was found shot to death just before midnight Saturday on his property about 35 miles northeast of Douglas. Dever told the Arizona Daily Star retaliation may have a role to play in the death. The newspaper said the victim's brother told the Border Patrol there had been drug-smuggling activity on the ranch.

The newspaper said agents discovered 290 pounds of marijuana on the ranch. Eight illegal immigrants were arrested in connection with the alleged activity, the newspaper said.

Sheriff Dever said it appears Krentz tried to drive away after he was shot but lost consciousness about a thousand feet from the scene. Investigators said they found foot tracks leading away from the area. They said they followed them for about 20 miles to the Mexican border.

“The cold-blooded killing of an Arizona rancher is a sad and sobering reminder of the threats to public safety that exist in our border communities,” said U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords of Arizona’s 8th Congressional District.

"If, as suspected, this tragedy was connected to smugglers or drug cartels, the federal government must respond appropriately," Giffords said. "All options should be on the table, including sending more Border Patrol agents to the area and deploying the National Guard."

Minutemen member Chris Simcox said news of the death was unsettling but not a surprise.
"There's a war going on in Mexico and its spilling across our borders," Simcox said. "He's been working with Border Patrol for years, begging and pleading for help with his property being vandalized and his home being robbed," Simcox said.

"He's always been a humanitarian," Simcox said. "He always gives water and food to the people he finds in distress which seems to be the case last night and he called his wife and said he was giving some water to illegals and said to call Border Patrol."

Source: Arizona Daily Star

wistlepig1
04-16-2010, 12:37 AM

[smilie=s:

I was born (1948) and raised in Goodyear, Az--tell me about how cold it is in Arizona and there isn't any dust storms too!:kidding::kidding:

Way to go Az on the new law!

Three-Fifty-Seven
04-16-2010, 10:06 AM
Sounds like it's a little late:

Ariz. rancher killed, likely by illegal immigrant
Thursday, April 01, 2010

Yep . . . for Robert, but there are still a few of us left who that care.

On April 13th she wrote:

"Statement by Governor Jan Brewer
Phoenix – As Governor of the State of Arizona, my highest priority is the safety and security of our citizens. I met late today with Arizona ranchers, and heard their concerns, which I deeply share. Arizona roads and open spaces have become thoroughfares for illegal alien traffic and smuggling operations — drugs, arms and humans. Recently, an Arizona rancher in southeastern Cochise County was shot and killed, with evidence suggesting the crime was part of border-related criminal activity. With regard to border security, I am not taking “No,” for an answer from the federal government. I visited the area, and I’ve seen firsthand what needs to be done. I’ve communicated with President Obama and repeated my numerous requests for additional troops. I will NOT accept the notion that border security is a responsibility of Arizona and the other Border States, but I will do what is necessary to protect this great State if additional federal assistance is not forthcoming.”

Found here: http://azgovernor.gov/dms/upload/PR_041310_StatementbyGovernorBrewer.pdf