PDA

View Full Version : tumble lube with gas check ???

troy_mclure
04-08-2010, 09:56 PM
im assuming that you dont want lube between the boolit and the check?

keebo52
04-08-2010, 11:59 PM
Simple. Mount the gas check then tumble lube.

mooman76
04-09-2010, 12:38 AM
I wouldn't think it would matter since the check is crimped on and maybe that sticky cr@9 would help. But then again I don't do checks.

wallenba
04-09-2010, 12:51 AM
I've never tried that. Some problems that I can see might be; the lube cooking between the check and boolit when fired, loosening it maybe. A bad fit, or a lop sided fit from uneven dried lube. Seating a check on an unlubed boolit may eventually foul the die with lead.

armyrat1970
04-09-2010, 06:55 AM
Well I tumble lube. And with my Lee sizers, you need to lube before you size. They also seat the gas checks when sizing. I then tumble lube after sizing to again lube the part of the boolit that has been sized.
So in my opinion, yes.
Then, it may depend on the gas check. I use the Hornady, that crimp on when sizing.
If you use the Lyman checks you can probably lube, size, wipe the base off and push the check on with your finger or a light tap with something.

Whistler
04-09-2010, 07:26 AM
And with my Lee sizers, you need to lube before you size.

Why? I always size the bullet when I come home from casting, then lube it and it dry over night before lubing it again and letting it dry yet another night before packaging in boxes in my reloading corner.

armyrat1970
04-09-2010, 07:45 AM
Why? I always size the bullet when I come home from casting, then lube it and it dry over night before lubing it again and letting it dry yet another night before packaging in boxes in my reloading corner.

Hi Whistler. If you read the instructions for a Lee sizer, you should lube before sizing. Then relube after sizing. And gas checks can be seated during the sizing step.
If that is recommened by the manufacture, I will follow their instructions and not take the chance of messing up my sizers.
If you feel you can size your boolits without lubeing, go for it.
I lube them and after 24hrs I size but after relubing I may let them set for a couple of days before I put them up for loading. I have some 45s and some 357s that have been setting for almost a week now. Think it may be time to put them in the ziplock bag and start another batch this coming weekend.

Doc_Stihl
04-09-2010, 08:32 AM
I tumble lube, then seat my checks during the sizing process and relube. Never had a problem.

milkman
04-09-2010, 08:54 AM
I tumble lube and use free-chex. I use a very light coat of xlox and seat the check just before sizing. I like to have some xlox under the check, it helps stick the check on after it dries. At least that's my story till I can think up a better one.
milkman

mpmarty
04-09-2010, 09:11 AM
I spray boolits with case lube, seat check and then size in LEE push through sizer. Then tumble lube w/mule snot.

XWrench3
04-09-2010, 11:41 AM
what i do is tumble lube with l.l.a. that is thinned down so there is some lube on the boolit. i use a lee sizer which will also install the gas check. but you are supposed to have lube on the boolit when you size it. after i size and crimp on the gas check, then i tumble lube again afterwards with full strength l.l.a. i have never had a gas check come off that i know of. i have only recovered 3 boolits with gas checks. but for certain, none have come off in the bore.