PDA

View Full Version : Dacron=Polyester?

Newtire
04-08-2010, 08:42 AM
I just wanted to see if I screwed up & bought the wrong stuff or not at the fabric store in town. I was looking to buy some dacron filler so bought this big bag of pillow stuffing and noticed it said that it was "Polyester" after I got it home. Is this the stuff most folks who use filler in the loads use or did I get the wrong stuff?

04-08-2010, 08:50 AM
Yes, same stuff. The only difference is that it comes in various forms- thin sheet batting, random tufts, large mass, thicker sheets, various loft ratings, etc. I've found the "high loft" or extra high loft" in sheets that are about 3/8" thick to be the easiest for me to use.

Hardcast416taylor
04-08-2010, 09:32 AM
About 20 years, or so, ago I responded to an offer on the side of a Javelina lube box for Dacron. I think I sent them .50. They sent a double sized lube box packed so tight I couldn`t get any out till I cut the box. You know how insulation expands when you cut the roll open, that`s what happened here. I`m still using that huge wad of Dacron/polyester now.Robert

Johnch
04-08-2010, 07:07 PM
Seveal years back
I bought 15 of those white Christmass tree aprons for $ .50 each in mid Jan
As they are a polester batt

I use about 1 a year

I am set for a few more years

But if you look around , many times you can find polester batt in 1 form or another dirt cheap

John

shotman
04-08-2010, 07:21 PM
I have a VERY large supply of Kapoc if any of you want some It is very flameable
seems that the small flat rate box is best

Newtire
04-08-2010, 08:30 PM
Thanks all you guys and thanks shotman for the kind offer. Looks like the
bag I got will last me one heckuva l-o-o-o-on-g time though!

So thanks again. Had to laugh at the post about cutting open the box of expanding dacron.

HangFireW8
04-08-2010, 09:12 PM
Dacron is a registered trademark. Polyester is what it is made of. If the manufacturer is not licensed to the the registered trademark, they just call it Polyester.