PDA

View Full Version : If ya hunt bunnies....

Dave Bulla
04-07-2010, 12:16 PM
Ya might want to take a look at this video. Pretty slick.

http://mucc.org/mood/rabbit/rabbitclean.mov

Sorry if this is off topic specifically for bullet casting but I know some of you make your own shot pellets and bunnies are probably the most common small game of anything we hunt. Not to mention that low velocity cast bullets from many different type guns are perfect for small game hunting too. Anyway, I hate to see waste in the field and this is really probably the best way to clean a bunny you'll ever come across.

Dave

Harter66
04-07-2010, 12:25 PM
That'll never work its clearly way way to easy and far far too clean.

Definately slick. Ill bet that fella has done that more than once.

KYCaster
04-07-2010, 12:30 PM
OK, help me out here. Windows Media Player doesn't work with MOV files. What do I need to view this?

I'm just an analog kinka guy trying to get by in a digital world.

Jerry

StarMetal
04-07-2010, 12:34 PM
OK, help me out here. Windows Media Player doesn't work with MOV files. What do I need to view this?

I'm just an analog kinka guy trying to get by in a digital world.

Jerry

Joe to the rescue...you need VLC Media Player....free download off the nets, works great, no viruses and it plays movie dvd's too which lot of them Window's Media Player won't. Dig it up on Google.

markinalpine
04-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Joe to the rescue...you need VLC Media Player....free download off the nets, works great, no viruses and it plays movie dvd's too which lot of them Window's Media Player won't. Dig it up on Google.

http://www.videolan.org

One of the best for playing most video formats.

Mark :coffeecom

257 Shooter
04-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Wow that is a slick way to clean a rabbit. I will be using it next fall.

RBak
04-07-2010, 01:27 PM
Thanks, Mark!
Worked like a charm!

Actually the download and the skinning of rabbit both "worked like a charm".
I have never seen that part where you stuff the skin inside the belly cavity before, can't seem to get in my mind just how that holds all the guts inside the skin, but you can be your last nickle I will be trying this along about November.

Russ...

StarMetal
04-07-2010, 03:57 PM
Thanks, Mark!
Worked like a charm!

Actually the download and the skinning of rabbit both "worked like a charm".
I have never seen that part where you stuff the skin inside the belly cavity before, can't seem to get in my mind just how that holds all the guts inside the skin, but you can be your last nickle I will be trying this along about November.

Russ...

You're welcome.

Dave Bulla
04-07-2010, 05:20 PM
RBak,

Tucking the skin in on the belly is mainly to make a bump that you push with your hand. Also, it's not "inside" the stomach but rather it is tucked into the belly hide.The trick if you noticed it was to squeeze and twist with your thumb and fingers pretty hard as you pull on the back legs. Sort of acts like a squeegee and forces everything downward.

RBak
04-07-2010, 05:38 PM
RBak,

Tucking the skin in on the belly is mainly to make a bump that you push with your hand. Also, it's not "inside" the stomach but rather it is tucked into the belly hide.The trick if you noticed it was to squeeze and twist with your thumb and fingers pretty hard as you pull on the back legs. Sort of acts like a squeegee and forces everything downward.

Gotta watch that part a couple more times....I just looked at it again, and I could have sworn he tucked it in the "cavity"....if it's just tucked under the hide, how goes it clean the guts out and keep 'em all in that sking to throw away?
Thanks for pointing that out, this time I'm going to be watching, and listening, even closer.

Russ...

JIMinPHX
04-07-2010, 09:08 PM
That's a good quick fast way to do it if you want to grab the meat & then throw away the skin with the guts. I save my skins, so I think that I'll stick with my current method. Thanks for posting that though. It was interesting.

Dave Bulla
04-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Well RBak,

Now you've got ME wondering...

I just watched it again and there is one point where it sort of looks like he poked a finger into the belly cavity but when it shows him tuck the hide in, there is no visible blood or guts showing. I'm just not sure. I thought the whole process was done by the squeeze of thumb and fingers around the waist and sliding all the guts down but in his finished product, I don't see the thin belly meat hanging there. Maybe he does pop the belly muscle and rip it off along with the hide? I just found this video about a year ago and then kinda forgot about it. I never have tried it myself.

Gelandangan
04-08-2010, 11:08 PM
Is that rabbit diseases or something? :confused:
rabbit skin hereabout are much tougher than that guy's.

I have skinned hundreds of rabbits and
I never be able could just rip the skin or the head off the rabbits like he did. :?

Maybe I am weak.. :sad:

JIMinPHX
04-08-2010, 11:42 PM
I never just ripped one either. I assume that he sliced the hide before they started the video.

Dave Bulla
04-09-2010, 02:06 AM
Well, I've never used his method of dressing but I quit using a knife to skin rabbits years ago. Usually I just grab two handfuls in the middle of the back and pull in opposite directions. Most of it just comes right off. Also, if you notice, I'm sure the rabbit in the video is a very fresh kill as it is still super limp and that makes a difference. I don't doubt a bit that the grab and pull method he does on the legs would work just fine. Rabbits are quite simply "fragile" at best.

357maximum
04-09-2010, 02:27 AM
Make sure you leave one foot on the critter if you live in Michigan.....apparently our CO's cannot tell the difference between a squirrel/rabbit/wolverine/or a deer when the dead critter is naked.:D

Personally I just rip the hide off with bare hands then snip off the head and slit the guts out and de-feet with game shears (leave one foot for the CO's). I do not use a knife on squirrel or rabbit ever .....good ol game shears are always in my vest for the purpose. I used to use the method in the video until it "popped" the wrong direction one day........ewwwwwwwwwwwwww bunny urine and processed bark is not a good facial creme. [smilie=b:

RBak
04-09-2010, 09:39 AM
Make sure you leave one foot on the critter if you live in Michigan.....apparently our CO's cannot tell the difference between a squirrel/rabbit/wolverine/or a deer when the dead critter is naked.:D

Personally I just rip the hide off with bare hands then snip off the head and slit the guts out and de-feet with game shears (leave one foot for the CO's). I do not use a knife on squirrel or rabbit ever .....good ol game shears are always in my vest for the purpose. I used to use the method in the video until it "popped" the wrong direction one day........ewwwwwwwwwwwwww bunny urine and processed bark is not a good facial creme. [smilie=b:

Yep, pretty much the same thing here except for leaving a foot on.
For cleaning, I use a small pair of pruning shears that my wife used for Roses, real small, compact, and pocket size which sounds pretty much like game shears.
I have watched that video / movie several times, and the first impression is, "WOW that's nifty"!
But, for the life of me, I can't seem to grasp what he's doing with that fur from the hind legs and back when he's "stuffing" it down in front.....in fact, I think it's almost something of a misnomer for the guy talking to say "it's freezer ready", when the guy doing the work pulls and separates the skin from the meat, although it does appear to be skinned, gutted, and ready to go.

It may sound silly, but I'm still not giving up on this. You can bet I will be trying it come fall.

Russ

looseprojectile
04-09-2010, 06:39 PM
.357Maximum.
CO= Consientious Objector? Critter Orderly?
Oh, Conservation cOp. Here I just bury the whole thing. Hard to get one without disease.They do provide exercise for the dog though.

Takes me a while sometimes.

Life is good

buck1
04-09-2010, 10:58 PM
I have to try that!

Three-Fifty-Seven
04-10-2010, 09:52 AM
The cottontails here you can just rip the skin off, and put your foot on the head and pull it off, but the jack rabbits are tougher . . . I need a knife to get the skin started, but with both arms a tugging/yanking I can get the head off of a Jack Rabbit . . .

I plan on trying this on the next cottontail I get (we have a 12 mo season!) but I still would want to have a look at the liver after it was separated . . .

Charlie Sometimes
04-10-2010, 10:42 AM
I'll give this new way a try this fall- he sure made it look easy, didn't he?
I usually just squeeze them from front to back (like milking a cow) and pop all the guts out the back end. Saves a lot of weight carrying them around, and the hide protects the meat in the game bag that way.

A good pair of electricians side cutters work well for cutting the feet off at the joints too.

JIMinPHX
04-10-2010, 06:13 PM
I throw them in a zip lock bag, then throw them on dry ice in my backpack. That keeps any ticks or other critters from going too far awol & prevents spoilage. When I get home, I make one little slit in the skin on one leg, then use an air gun to blow the skin up like a balloon & separate it from everything else. Then I slit the skin at the 4 legs & the head. The skin basically just drops off the carcass after that. It's pretty quick & easy. A couple of guys from Portugal showed me that trick about 20 years ago. I've been using it ever since.

Charlie Sometimes
04-11-2010, 11:24 AM
It's usually cold enough here (Season is Nov through end of Feb) when season starts that you don't have to worry much about spoilage, warbils, or bugs. Cottontails aren't that tuff skinned either. You can pull just about anything off of one you want. They seem to be a very frail animal, but can run like H in front of the dogs (great fun!) and are pretty tricky. "Wood" rabbits run bigger loops, and are much faster, too. Grow to twice the size of average cottontails, at least. Five of those (the limit) in your game vest fill it up and are really heavy! Especially wit hthe guts in- hence the reason I squeeze them out before putting them in the pouch.

I think the guy in the video is pushing the guts out with the hide- after pulling the front legs off (he gave them to the dogs), there wouldn't be much to stop them from falling out the front when you get to the head. POP- it's all gone. Real slick- I'll have to try it.