PDA

View Full Version : water dropping, how high should i be?

troy_mclure
04-07-2010, 10:07 AM
[smilie=1:

anywho, what container do you guys drop your boolits into.

im using a plastic mixing bowl with steep sides and there is still a considerable amount of splashing. the pot is a couple of feet above and to the left of the water but with my luck ill have a large drop land in my pot and explode it.

45 2.1
04-07-2010, 10:13 AM
anywho, what container do you guys drop your boolits into.
5 gallon plastic bucket with 4 gallons of water in it. Set the bucket on the floor to your side about 120 degrees off your pot and drop into it.

im using a plastic mixing bowl with steep sides and there is still a considerable amount of splashing. the pot is a couple of feet above and to the left of the water but with my luck ill have a large drop land in my pot and explode it.

high standard 40
04-07-2010, 10:15 AM
Cover the opening of the water container with a loose fitting piece of cloth then cut some slits in it for the bullets to fall through near the center. That should control the spashing for you.

sargenv
04-07-2010, 10:16 AM
I use a 2.5 gallon bucket about half full of water usually with a small towel on the bottom to cushion them hitting the bottom.. I drop them from about a foot above the bucket, sometimes closer.

Recluse
04-07-2010, 10:18 AM
The closer you have the mold to the water when dropping the boolits, the less (chance of) splashing you'll have.

:coffee:

fecmech
04-07-2010, 10:19 AM
Same Same for me, 5 gal bucket full of water on the floor to my right. I stand to cast with the pot on a work bench. Cut the spru, turn to the right, drop the bullets into the bucket, repeat. Occasionally a splash will hit the mold but by the time I get back to the pot the water is evaporated off the blocks.

Colorado4wheel
04-07-2010, 10:22 AM
Get a 5 gallon bucket. Get two towels. Towels that don't have a folded over sewn edge. Take one towel and cover 70% of the top with a sharp downward slant, Use the other towel and cover about 50% of the top with another sharp downward slant but not touching the other towel. Use a string and a rod/screwdriver. String goes around the top, rod tightens the string so the towels can't move. This makes a offset opening that water has zero chance of coming out of. I tried the slits and I still got splashing.

prs
04-07-2010, 10:23 AM
You should not be high when working with hot metal.

prs

Hank10
04-07-2010, 11:13 AM
I cast standing with the 5 gal. bucket , bucket sitting on a chair, on my right, towel over bucket, big rubber band holding towel snug, slit in center of towel,
no splashing
H10

parson48
04-07-2010, 12:10 PM
PRS beat me to it! This is definitely a job that calls for a clear head.

troy_mclure
04-07-2010, 01:03 PM
the high thing was a joke! lol

OLPDon
04-07-2010, 01:59 PM
5 Gal buck on chair next to me a little more 1/2 full of water and 3" or more inches of packing peanuts floated on top no splash and no marks on Boolits. I have found much easer then the Towel trick.
Don

parson48
04-07-2010, 02:19 PM
I use the loose-cloth-with-a-slit method mentioned above. It works for me.

Crash_Corrigan
04-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Packing peanuts are the way to go. Free and easy to store. A couple of gallons of cold water in a 5 gallon bucket, a layer of peanuts (color selection optional...although I tend to favor Minty green) and you are good to go.

No splashing, no dents in boolits and you have found a 2nd use for those pesky peanuts that Midway is so fond of sending you in cartons. Over time those peanuts will get busted up some and get reduced in size.

The resulting minty green peanuts are perfect for soil conditioning. You have heavy clay soil that does not allow water to percolate through it.....add some mashed and mangled peanuts. They do not break down but they do add volume to the soil and allow air to move through and again you are doing your green thing. There don't you feel better....you have found a third use for those peanuts.

Now if you mix some of those peanuts with 2nd or 3rd hand loob grooves..........

Colorado4wheel
04-07-2010, 02:55 PM
Wouldn't the hot bullet start to melt the peanuts as they passed by?

mike in co
04-07-2010, 06:33 PM
Same Same for me, 5 gal bucket full of water on the floor to my right. I stand to cast with the pot on a work bench. Cut the spru, turn to the right, drop the bullets into the bucket, repeat. Occasionally a splash will hit the mold but by the time I get back to the pot the water is evaporated off the blocks.

that is what i use to say also...

right up till my one and only visit by the tinsel fairy....scar has only recently gone from my left hand.

if water hits the mould, with it close to close i blow thru it...

then back to casting.

5 gal bucket/4gal water. 2"layer of shipping styrofoam peanuts

mike in co

sniper7369
04-07-2010, 07:00 PM

Same here. I've dropped thousands of boolits like this with no problem.

Greg in Malad
04-07-2010, 07:10 PM
A one gallon mayo jar with a sponge floating on top. The bullets drop onto to sponge and roll off the side, no splashing. Cut the sponge small enough that it can move when the bullets roll off the side.

gebudjr
04-07-2010, 07:58 PM
torn up pieces of foam, floats and moves out of the way when hot lead is droped. I cast with 2 gallon bucket between my legs while Im sitting on a high stool.

Wireman134
04-07-2010, 08:00 PM
the high thing was a joke! lol

A couple beer's and a few tokes should do it...LOL

DLCTEX
04-07-2010, 09:33 PM
4 gal. in a 5 gal. bucket and foam peanuts. The boolit does not touch the wet peanuts long enough to burn them, like passing your had through a flame. If you are casting a lot of large boolits a smaller amount of water will start to get warm.Some put ice in the water, but I don't think it's necessary.

Lead Fred
04-07-2010, 09:46 PM
water dropping, how high should i be?

Just dont inhale......

The lead fumes

deerslayer
04-07-2010, 11:55 PM
An old t-shirt on a 5 gallon bucket with a hole in the middle made into a cloth funnel is what I came up with attached with a large furnace zip tie.
Kudos to GEBUDJR casting with a bucket between his legs. I have missed the bucket a few times so I don't think that would be good for me.

armyrat1970
04-08-2010, 06:09 AM

That's my experience. I usually fill my 5 gal bucket to 6 or 4 inches below the top and drop the bullets about 6" above the water line. I get a little splash at times, as I feel it on my fingers. But by the time I pour more alloy in the mold I have no water on the mold, or in the cavities that would invite a visit from the tinsel fairy. Hasn't happened yet at least.
I don't keep my bucket close to my casting pot and my pot is always much higher than my bucket.