PDA

View Full Version : Can ya cast or swage soft steel?

20nickels
04-06-2010, 06:48 PM
I have access to a fair amount of soft steel in the form of wiper blades from used laser toner cartridges. I remanufacture them for a living and have been taking the used blades to the scrap yard. Anyway I assume it's steel, it's magnetic and bendable. There is a plastic "wiper" attached to each one with a strong adhesive.

Can I efficiently cast or swage boolits out of these?

deltaenterprizes
04-06-2010, 06:51 PM
not with home equipment

sagacious
04-06-2010, 07:15 PM
Cast bullets from soft steel? Unfortunately, no.

Efficiently swage bullets/jackets from soft steel? Probably not. It's possible to swage jackets from soft steel, but doing it efficiently at home, and at reasonable cost, is not likely to be practical in this case. Steel suitable for wiper blades may not be at all suitable for drawing into jackets.

I wish I had more positive suggestions, but that's a practical perspective. I applaud your thrift, though! :drinks:

20nickels
04-08-2010, 02:59 PM
Tks for the replies. I knew it was a shot in the dark, but FREE material got my wheels turning.

It must take some heavy machinery to make the imported steel bullets from abroad.

Shiloh
04-08-2010, 03:15 PM
not with home equipment

+1

You'll be ghetting in WAY over your head. Keep it simple.

Shiloh

ETG
04-08-2010, 03:32 PM
Tks for the replies. I knew it was a shot in the dark, but FREE material got my wheels turning.

It must take some heavy machinery to make the imported steel bullets from abroad.

I think you may be refferring to the 7.62x54R pulled bullets that are being sold for 308. There is a HUGE difference between forming the steel jackets and making the bullets verses just resizing them to 308. Still, there is just something about shooting steel jacketed bullets that goes against my grain.

Green_Canoe
04-09-2010, 10:18 AM
You can make all the steel bullets or cannon shells you want if you buy this machine: http://www.coldheader.com/

The company I work for is currently making inspection equipment for 20mm and 30mm cannon shells made on equipment similar to this.

There is a huge difference in the manufacturing equipment between steel jacketed 7.62x54 bullets and 20mm and 30mm cannon shells. We've inspected steel jacketed 7.62x54 bullets in the past as well.

MtGun44
04-10-2010, 12:16 AM
US 7.62NATO ammo uses steel jackets with a copper alloy layer on the outside and inside.

No barrel harm with the jacket covered with a copper alloy layer. The rifling can't tell the
difference - the only part that hits the bore is copper alloy.