PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with 351 Win. SL?

javelinaboy
04-06-2010, 02:32 PM
I obtained a 1907 Winchester Self Loader, in 351, a couple of years back, and with help from a friend that is a pretty fair gunsmith, have got the old girl up and running.

So far have killed two white tail does and a coyote with it.

My buddy is making brass by turning about 20 thousandths off the rim of 357 Mag pistol brass, and then slightly opening up the extractor groove.

The load we worked up is 14.0 grains of 2400 behind a 180 grain, coper plated bullet.

Have not done any chronograph work, but the round functions the action with no problems.

What I am looking for is any information on the availability of molds in this caliber, as my supply of copper plated bullets is dwindling, and I like using the little rifle.

Right now I carry it as a back up gun on my Guided Javelina hunts.

fourarmed
04-06-2010, 06:00 PM
Do a search. There was an extensive thread in the last year or so on the .351.

javelinaboy
04-06-2010, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the information, I looked it up, some interesting info, except that brass can be made for the 351 using 357 Mag cases, 357 maximum are not neccessary.

I know some time back, a former client sent me info on a company that is/was offering either molds or cast bullets for this caliber and I am trying to find out if anyone else has any information.

mtnman31
04-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Hopefully this isn't too much of a hijacking - anyone have any experience with the self-loader after market magazines? Are they reliable and worth the money? Original magazines aren't all that common and cost a pretty penny. Just curious about the function and quality of some of the after market mags.

beagle
04-06-2010, 10:06 PM
Look at castpics/articles by members/Cast in the .351 SL. The .357 Mag cases will be a bit short but will probably work. Max cases are better. In my rifle, .357 Mag dies load ammo that chambers and shoots just fine. Nice old rifles and no doubt many deer have fallen to them. Mines like carrying a crowbar around and does kick some for a cartridge that size. Throws brass all over the place as well./beagle

javelinaboy
04-06-2010, 11:48 PM
I have a 5 round after market mag I got from numrich, it works fine as long as OAL cartridge length is kept to a minimum.

357 Max cases may be better, but are harder to find.

As far as noticeable recoil, I normally shoot a 375 H&H, so I don't notice the recoil from the 351.

45nut
04-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Can someone with 351 cases try loading them in a AR-15 mag for grins? Curious here...

KCSO
04-07-2010, 11:43 AM
Might want to check out this months Guns and Ammo too, good article on 351.

Charley
04-07-2010, 05:13 PM
.357 Mag will work in some cases, but for proper length the .357 Max is the way to go. My rifle doesn't need an extractor cut on the brass, functions fine with just the rims turned down. Easy enough to lap out a Lee sizer to .352, and have at almost any 180 grain cast .357 bullet.

beagle
04-07-2010, 09:31 PM
Someone here, Grumble (I think) had a .351 that someone had chambered and modified to take the .357 Mag case without it's being altered. You just loaded a .352" bullet in it.

The .38 AMU case works all right as is but is way too short./beagle

levallois
04-09-2010, 11:14 AM
I haven't had very good luck with the aftermarket mags. Spend the extra money for a factory mag; they are built like a tank and I've never had one (I've had at least eight over the years) misfeed with proper ammo. The cast bullet mold is the Lyman 350319; these are fairly rare but they are out there.

I've never used either of my 351s for hunting. However, the reports from the 1930s about this cartridge when used on men is fairly impressive - knock down/punch through power far exceeds it's paper ballistics. Is that what you've found with critters as well?

John

mtnman31
04-12-2010, 12:06 AM
I've seen some of the 351 Win specific molds selling on fleaBay and you are right, they end up costing a mint. For what people are paying for them, I'd just as soon have a mold custom cut for me. It would end up costing the same, if not less and you wouldn't be taking a gamble on the quality of the mold.

I'd like to get a .401 Win SL. I see them selling for reasonable prices, just haven't been able to find one that really caught my attention. I don't want to settle on the first one that comes along.

Does anyone know of a particular tang sight made for the Winchester 1907's and 1910's? i.e. a specific manufacturer and part number, even if it is discontinued. I'd like to get one but haven't really done much research on it yet.