PDA

View Full Version : Steel shot in mod 67 Springfield 12ga

blackthorn
04-05-2010, 09:43 PM
My friend found this cased mod 67 (3 inch chamber) in the crawl space under his house. It had been there for some time and it had quite a bit of rust showing. I got it cleaned up as much as possible and it looks like it will be OK to shoot. I can't find any indication of what choke it has. It will never look pretty again but it will make him a beater shotgun until he can afford something better (young fella with a family). What I need to figure out is if this gun is OK to use with steel shot. My friend inherited his grandpa's 308 Savage 99 and he got his first deer with it this year. He doesnt reload---yet---I'm working on getting him interested. Any help as to where to look or what questions to ask would be greatly appreciated. Have a great evening!

Firebricker
04-05-2010, 11:02 PM
You'll have to measure and make sure it's not full choke. I'm fairly sure it need's to be at least modified choke for steel but would have to check to be sure. FB

runfiverun
04-06-2010, 12:21 AM
smaller sized steel shot does fine in a full choked bbl.
one of the best duck guns i have ever shot was a browning pump trap gun with full choke.
use size 2 or smaller and you'll be fine.
you can measure a choke with an inside ball measurer.
you go past the choke measure the bbl's inside diameter then measure the choke constriction.
the more constriction the tighter the choke.
iirc and i'm not sure but @ .014 is a full.
most of the larger gunshops have the tool to measure a choke.
usually the bbl is marked also, however having a choke opened up is about 40 dollars.