PDA

View Full Version : Wheel weight cleaning process

Lt.
07-12-2006, 06:44 AM
Am a new member and would like the forum's expertise on the proper method of cleaning wheel weights for pouring ingots. I have the following equipment: A Lee 20 lb. electric bottom pour pot, a small bullet ladle, a Lyman ingot mould, thermometer, and a 5 gallon bucket of wheel weights. What is the process and do I need any other equipment?

Hi-Performance Bullet Coatings
07-12-2006, 07:45 AM
Welcome aboard and may I suggest that use the search feature of this forum. I think you'll find all the info you need can be found there.

44woody
07-12-2006, 10:13 AM
LT you will need a heat source and a pot to melt it in (DO NOT USE ALUMINUM POT TO MELT LEAD IN THE POT WILL COME APART ) a ladle, ingot moulds and a magnet to take the clips out and an old spoon to take the crud out of the mix flux can be most anything from candle wax to old used moter oil I like to use beeswax for my flux if you need any more help feel free to pm me with your questions 44Woody

NVcurmudgeon
07-12-2006, 01:16 PM
44woody has recommended a good smelting equipment list. I would suggest a large, perforated kitchen spoon as faster than a magnet for clip removal An unusual source of flux is a stick. I use a stick about 1/2" X 2" X 12". The square corners help to scrape out crud while I stir.

Bucks Owin
07-12-2006, 01:41 PM
I follow Glen Fryxell's advice and throw in a tablespoon of hardwood sawdust when fluxing. Apparently it add's some trace ingredients like tannin (?!?) and more importantly, it forms a barrier against the loss of tin in the mix....

You can find a lot of Glen's articles at the "Los Angeles Silhouette Club" website. Interesting reading!

FWIW,

Dennis

Marshal Kane
07-12-2006, 05:19 PM
Am a new member and would like the forum's expertise on the proper method of cleaning wheel weights for pouring ingots. What is the process and do I need any other equipment?I find it convenient to use a turkey fryer with propane tank and a cast iron pot to melt the wheelweights prior to fluxing. Then I pour the clean alloy into the ingot moulds. You may use any other heat source and cast iron or steel container (so long as it's not an aluminum pot) to convert the wheelweights to ingots. I don't take any special steps to clean the wheelweights, any crud left in the melt is skimmed off after fluxing. While everything is melting and giving off smoke, stand well back or downwind from the smoke. That stuff is not good to breathe. Usually the smoke will disappear after the wheelweight clips are removed. Best to use your casting furnace with clean ingots for casting bullets only.

robertbank
07-12-2006, 05:23 PM
What ever you do don't use your Lee Pot to melt the wheelweights. I use a Coleman stove and an old iron pot that holds about 10 lbs of metal. The tablespoon to pull out the clips works for me. I don't bother cleaning the wheelweights either. I do it outside and just heat them up to liquid temp. and pour into 1 lb ingots. I flux a couple of times once the clips are removed.

Take Care

smokemjoe
07-12-2006, 09:28 PM
Dont use beeswax toilt seals to flux with, Its the worst thing I ever uses, The lead stuck to the clips and the lead did not mix well, Hope that help, Smokemjoe

GregP42
07-12-2006, 09:29 PM
I find it convenient to use a turkey fryer with propane tank and a cast iron pot to melt the wheelweights prior to fluxing. Then I pour the clean alloy into the ingot moulds. You may use any other heat source and cast iron or steel container (so long as it's not an aluminum pot) to convert the wheelweights to ingots. I don't take any special steps to clean the wheelweights, any crud left in the melt is skimmed off after fluxing. While everything is melting and giving off smoke, stand well back or downwind from the smoke. That stuff is not good to breathe. Usually the smoke will disappear after the wheelweight clips are removed. Best to use your casting furnace with clean ingots for casting bullets only.

Marshal,

I think you meant you want to be upwind of the smoke. I always wear a respirator with organic filters in it, helps a lot for me.

Greg

ANeat
07-12-2006, 09:37 PM
It might help to let everyone know where you are located. If you dont have at least some of the required items already (Like a camp stove or a turkey burner) Its a bit much to get everything for one 5 gallon bucket of WW. If youre lucky someone may be close enough to where they could either exchange your WW for some ingots or smelt them down for you. If youre in SW Ohio I will.

Ill try to find a link to Goatlips web page. Its a great how-to on smelting.

Adam

ANeat
07-12-2006, 09:39 PM
Here it is http://goatlipstips.cas-town.com/smelting.html

Lt.
07-13-2006, 07:53 AM
ANeat and esteemed members,
Thanks for the great tips- especially Mr. Goatlips tutorial- for as it is said, "A picture is worth a thousand words!"

Marshal Kane
07-14-2006, 08:06 PM
Marshal,
I think you meant you want to be upwind of the smoke. I always wear a respirator with organic filters in it, helps a lot for me. Greg
I think you're right. Wouldn't want Lt. to end up being smoked meat. I know enough to git away from thet smoke. Thanks for bringing this up.

BoolitBullet
10-22-2013, 01:19 AM
When I tried to follow the link above, it resulted in an error. Through the magic of Google, I found where the page is located today http://goatlips.hrillc.com/goatlipstips.cas-town.com/smelting.html. Very worth the read for a beginner!

mikeym1a
10-22-2013, 05:27 AM
Welcome aboard and may I suggest that use the search feature of this forum. I think you'll find all the info you need can be found there.

I've been here for a while, and every time I try the search function, I never find what I'm looking for. I've happened on some interesting posts, but never what I wanted. That search function leaves a bit to be desired, IMO.

Lead Fred
10-22-2013, 06:49 AM
I dump them in pot, meltem down and skim the bad stuff out with a spoon

Sasquatch-1
10-22-2013, 07:55 AM
One thing to ask, Have you sorted the wheel weights? It appears everyone believes that you know that there are weights that should not be melted. If you have not sorted, grab a pair of diagonal cutters and go at it. The cutter will easily indent the lead weights but will not do too much to the zinc. The steel weights can be removed with a strong magnet if you have one and will not hurt your alloy if left in. They will float to the top. The zinc is what you have to worry about and if the temp get too high they will melt into your mix and mess it up.

I would also suggest getting one of the all metal Chinese style skimmers to get rid of the clips.

robertbank
10-22-2013, 12:05 PM
I dump them in pot, meltem down and skim the bad stuff out with a spoon

Yup...works.

Take Care

Bob

Airman Basic
10-22-2013, 04:03 PM
I've been here for a while, and every time I try the search function, I never find what I'm looking for. I've happened on some interesting posts, but never what I wanted. That search function leaves a bit to be desired, IMO.
Like lots of other sites' inhouse search functions, I find typing in your query, followed by typing castboolits, works much better. Kinda scary really.

novalty
10-22-2013, 04:09 PM
This is my setup. Not overly expensive. Think the fryer was on sale at Cabelas (Paid in points) 12" Dutch Oven was around $30 shipped from Harbor Freight (check for coupon codes). Ladle was from RayinNH, unfortunately he isn't making them anymore. Have 3 Lyman ingot molds, and a cast iron muffin pan, Dollar Store slotted stainless spoon, and large stainless spoon for skimming dross. Put 200 pounds of wheel weights through it on Sunday in just over 3 hours. The raised legs, help save your back quite a bit of grief. Loaded right up so the cover was sitting on wheel weights it eventually melted down to about 2/3's full.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m11/novalty1970/Reloading/Casting/IMG_6649_zps0ff9f383.jpg (http://s100.photobucket.com/user/novalty1970/media/Reloading/Casting/IMG_6649_zps0ff9f383.jpg.html)

Airman Basic
10-22-2013, 04:58 PM
Like lots of other sites' inhouse search functions, I find typing in your query, followed by typing castboolits, works much better. Kinda scary really.

Should have said Google. Brain fart.

groundsclown
10-22-2013, 08:14 PM
http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l613/groundsclown/index.jpg (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/groundsclown/media/index.jpg.html)

shadowcaster
10-23-2013, 02:10 PM
All of the above information mentioned above is good. You can make do with the simplest of setups. I started with a cast dutch oven, turkey fryer, some kitchen utensils, and cast iron molds. I soon found that I didn't like ladling ingots and built a bottom pour smelter on a budget.

Shad

BoolitBullet
10-29-2013, 08:52 AM

That is how I ended up digging up this old thread. :)

trixter
10-29-2013, 06:34 PM
I tried the 8 QT dutch oven and did ok with it, then I saw a thread with the cut 20lb propane tank and like the curved bottom much better lets you get almost all of the lead out. I don't want to get it all out because I smelt 99% range minings. Almost everything floats to the top But I find that I am unable to get all of the sand out so I leave a little lead in the bottom to float the next batch of 'crud'.

Sasquatch-1
10-30-2013, 06:53 AM
I used an old Lodge tea kettle for the first time yesterday. Not the easiest thing to find cheap. Takes a little longer to melt the scrap because I was stacking the lead on top of itself instead of spreading it out in a skillet. My Chinese style wire skimmer fits in the mouth of the pot perfectly for skimming out most of the garbage. Once I get the weight to a manageable level I can pour from the spout and leave all the dirt behind. The biggest trouble is I have to find a pair of gloves that I can grab the bottom of the pot with that won't char with the heat. Tried an old oven mitt and burnt the outer layer off.