PDA

View Full Version : 7MM Mag Question

Bigscot
04-05-2010, 06:34 PM
A friend of mine called me today with questions about a load for the 7 mag. He is planning a mule deer hunt next fall out west and wanted to know what bullet weight/load he should use. I told I did not know as I have only shot a 7 mag once about 20 yrs ago. I told him I would see what I could find out.

Anyway, what is a good bullet weight in 7 mag for mule deer? Is there a classic powder for it? He may want to just use...dare I say...factory loads, but is curious about the bullet weight.

Thanks,

Bigscot

S.R.Custom
04-05-2010, 09:17 PM
140 or 150 grain bullets over (what used to be IMR) 4350 powder. Any bullet heavier is built harder, and more suitable for elk.

And if I may add some editorial content: If he's planning on using a 7mm mag for deer, he must not anticipate on getting very close. Around here, for deer we use pretty much what everyone else does-- 30-30, .35 Remington, .243, maybe a .308. Any closer than 200 yards, and a 7mm Mag is going to ruin half the animal.

dualsport
04-05-2010, 11:56 PM
Maybe one of the light magnum factory loads? I think Hornady has one in 140 gr. Tell him to practice as much as he can, in field positions. Bullet placement is everything. If he sticks to a good broadside lung shot he shouldn't damage a bunch of good meat. Handloads from a book using starting loads should be plenty for deer.

Bigscot
04-06-2010, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the input. I was thinking the 140-150 range.

Supermag, it's funny you mention shooting deer too close and tearing them up. He is shooting the 7 mag instead of his 8 mm mag for that very reason.

I just though of one other question. Is a premium bullet necessary or will a "budget bullet" work?

Bigscot

runfiverun
04-06-2010, 12:12 AM
i'm going to assume he hunts deer where he is from.
he can easily use what works for him now.
in the 7mm's i use horn 139's at no more than 2900 fps.
if i go much over that velocity i use their bonded in either 156 or 139.
they still tear a deer up at close range though.
i pretty much standardized on the hornady interlock at velocities under 2900 for deer and elk.
broadside shots, shoulders ,whatever penetration and no drama.

StarMetal
04-06-2010, 12:17 AM
Heck, aren't all the bullets premium today? I'd try the 139 gr or the 154 gr regular flat base spire points. I shoot the 139 gr back East in my 7mm-08 for whitetail and it works great. I've had many friends that own the 7 mag and can't say I've seen any abnormal ruined meat on the them. The worse I seen for that was the 300 Win mag.

Old Goat Keeper
04-06-2010, 01:28 AM
I have hunted with my big 7 since I got it in 1966. And early on I settled on "my" standard load for it. It's 62 grains of IMR 4350 and a 160 grain Sierra boattail softpoint. That combo had taken over 100 whitetails from 10 years to over 600 years. It has NEVER failed me yet! It shoots very flat and always gives a pass thru under 400 years. Those Sierras are also a bargain price wise.

These are MAX in my rifle so you should work up ot them usisng good proceedures!

Tom

DLCTEX
04-06-2010, 06:54 AM
Old Goat, if you didn't mean yards, what is your secret for longevity?:bigsmyl2: My 2 cents is 150 gr.bullet.

Wayne Smith
04-06-2010, 07:43 AM
I have a friend who wants to go back to Africa for a plains hunt. I now have two boxes of Swift Fail-Safe 160 gr 7mm bullets waiting for his brass. When you go to Africa the cost of the bullet is a minor issue.

S.R.Custom
04-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the input. I was thinking the 140-150 range.

Supermag, it's funny you mention shooting deer too close and tearing them up. He is shooting the 7 mag instead of his 8 mm mag for that very reason.

I just though of one other question. Is a premium bullet necessary or will a "budget bullet" work?

Bigscot

Budget bullets will work... on the terminal end. But accuracy will leave much to be desired. As for loading, have him load to 7mm-08 velocities, concentrating on accuracy.

But there are other problems associated with using a magnum for deer, not the least of which is totin' the damn thing around. Magnums are long and heavy, and very slow to deploy when that buck pops up in the brush right in front of you.

Another potential problem is accuracy-- Magnums are typically throated long and twisted fast in deference to the long, heavy bullets typically used. Even if you use a premium bullet at reduced velocities, I can almost guarantee difficulty in getting satisfying groups at long range.

And lastly, there's that whole peer pressure thing. If your friend brings a long heavy magnum to deer camp, he''ll need to be ready to deal with the inevitable "armed for giant vampire mulie" jokes. As he's currently using an 8mm, he's probably already used to that, but I thought I'd mention it for the entertainment value.

Hardcast416taylor
04-06-2010, 11:56 AM
The load I developed for my 7 Rem. Mag. back in the mid 1980`s was as follows.

Federal brass trimmed to size
Speer 145 gr. s.p. boattail bullet
H-4831 max load according to the Speer manual
Federal mag. primers

Rifle used was a Kliengunther K-15 Instafire made in Seguin Tx

The load is quite warm, but puts 3 shots in the same hole at 250 yds. from a bench rest. This load accounted for a 15 1/2" antelope at 305 yds. and a nice 4 point (Western count) mulie at 275 yds. Both animals were 1 shot drops. I would start below my load and work up if you try it.Robert

Bigscot
04-06-2010, 03:34 PM
Super Mag, I use the "budget bullets" in my '06, .243, and my sons .270. They shoot better than the any Nosler BT or Partition. Another reason I use them here in N.C. is that our deer not that big (but getting bigger) and at the velocities of the above mentioned cartridges, a premium controlled expansion bullet is not needed.

BS

S.R.Custom
04-06-2010, 05:09 PM
Super Mag, I use the "budget bullets" in my '06, .243, and my sons .270. They shoot better than any Nosler BT or Partition...

At the risk of starting a flame war with others here, I'm going to agree with you and say most bullets out there will shoot better than the Noslers. I suspect too much gimickry in the construction sends 'em spinning a tad off-center. (Personally, Sierra is my bullet of choice for the best reasonably priced, mass-produced bullet.)

Speaking of Sierra... they make an interesting 130 gr. 7mm bullet. It's a softly constructed hollow point, designed specifically to expand at the lower velocities found in the 7mm TCU and similarly calibered single shot handguns. When loaded in a 7mm Magnum as a varmint bullet against coyotes, the results are, um... spectacular.

Tom W.
04-06-2010, 05:13 PM
140 or 150 grain bullets over (what used to be IMR) 4350 powder. Any bullet heavier is built harder, and more suitable for elk.

And if I may add some editorial content: If he's planning on using a 7mm mag for deer, he must not anticipate on getting very close. Around here, for deer we use pretty much what everyone else does-- 30-30, .35 Remington, .243, maybe a .308. Any closer than 200 yards, and a 7mm Mag is going to ruin half the animal.

:holysheepAmazing. I've been using a 7mm Rem mag from a Ruger #1B for the last several years, and most of my shots have been 100 yards or less. I get more damage from my '06 than the 7 mag..

GabbyM
04-06-2010, 07:56 PM
Hornady 154 grain spire point flat base. 5% to 10% reduced laod of IMR 4350 , 4831 or similar.
That would be similar velocity to my favorite 270 WIN load of the Hornady 150gr SP. The flat based bullet will drive a hole stright through. Light weight boat tails will knock a hole the size of a paint can out the back side of a deer.

The 7mm mag is like most of the medium caliber magnums. IMHO not as big a dog as most give them credit for. It will only push the 154 grain bullet 100 fps faster than a 270 win will push the 150 grain bullet. Where the big mag shines is with 175 grain bullets. But even then a 280 Ackley will match them. With the new powders out you can match 7mm REM mag balistics with the 280 and 270. Provided you have a 24" barrel on the 270 or 280's. Put a 26" barrel on a 280 AI and it just may out shoot a 24" 7mm mag loaded with factory ammo.

For 7mm REM Mag the Hornady book uses a 24" test barrel and gives a max velocity of 3,000 fps. With a reduced load of 61.1 grains of IMR 4831 yielding 2,800 fps.

Bigscot
04-06-2010, 10:27 PM
SM, which Sierra are you talking about? In particularly the 30.06 and .270. I have been thinking about trying them. I have been using Rem PSPCL or Horn SP's. I don't like boat tails and don't know why so many are offered or the only choice. From everything I have read about them is that they are only more accurate than flat base bullets when the ranges get out to 300-400 yards and beyond. My longest shot was ~350 yds with most 100-250 yds or less.

BS

Old Goat Keeper
04-06-2010, 11:55 PM
Hey Tex what can I say! My fingers don't always type what my mind is saying. That should have been "yards" and not "years". I do't want to ever get that old! lol

Tom who really IS a dumb dutchman

S.R.Custom
04-07-2010, 01:20 AM
SM, which Sierra are you talking about? ...I don't like boat tails and don't know why so many are offered or the only choice...

Oh, I like the boat tails... [smilie=1:
...most of the time, anyway, with the exceptions noted below.

In the short action .308, I like the 168 gr Match King BT for target work, but the 150 gr spitzer (flat base) for hunting. (The 150 gr boat tails don't let me seat out far enough for good accuracy in the .308.)

In the .358, it's all about the 225 gr. boat tail soft point. They consistently yield 1 MOA from lever guns, with less drop than any other comparable weight bullet at any distance. (The higher BC of the boat tail yields higher velocity downrange and longer point blank ranges.)

I've not worked much with standard length action cartridges like the '06 or .270, so I can't recommend anything there. I figure if I'm going to tote around a standard length action, I may as well just do the standard length magnums. Hence my fondness for the 7mm Mag...

In the 7mm mag, I like the 150 & 160 gr Spitzer boat tails. I don't care for the 140s, because again, they're not long enough to seat out for good accuracy. And stay away from the 160 Gr HPs in this caliber. They're not as accurate as the soft point spitzers, and for some reason, drop 2" more than the spitzers at 300 yards. (A lower BC on account of the hollow point?) The 175 gr. Match King is unsurpassed for long range target work if the barrel twist is sufficient.

In other words, I like the boat tails if the accuracy is there. If it's not, I'm not blindly loyal. I'll use what works. But it's hard to say no to higher downrange velocities...

dualsport
04-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Back when bullets were cheap at gunshows I bought a thousand 175 gr SPs, Remington I think. I guess that's what I'll be using for a long time. I don't hunt anything big enough to use 'em on.

montana_charlie
04-07-2010, 10:26 PM
I have only been using the 7mm Rem. Mag. as my hunting caliber since 1968, so there may be some things that I haven't noticed.
I had only a few opportunities for hunting 'big game' before moving to Montana in 1976. By that time, I had developed the two handloads that gave best accuracy from my Remington 700, and felt I was ready to cover the range of probable game.

I had the Hornady 175, and the Speer 145 figured out, so I was ready for anything from pronghorn to elk. That lasted two years, during which I found myself using the 175 gr. bullet for everything.

In 1979, my wife presented me with a Browning 78 in 7mm Mag.
So, I sold my Remington to buy her a color TV.

Of course, the Browning needed experimentation to find the correct load. At about that time, I fell into a supply of 160 grain Nosler Partitions...which became my 'only' bullet.
I am still using the same load and rifle, for everything...coyote size, and up.

Some would have us believe that a guy with only one rifle is unlikely to shoot well. Strange how some people think...

I have always been a 'meat hunter', and concerned about table quality more than the headgear.
I have shot deer at 500 yards (one time) and 75 yards. Most were killed between 90 and 175 yards. My first elk was only 40 yards away.
None of those carcasses would lead anyone to think that, "Any closer than 200 yards, and a 7mm Mag is going to ruin half the animal."

There are a lot of myths, and there are a lot of old wives tales about any kind of gun or cartridge. The calibers that have 'magnum' hung on the back have their share, too...as you have seen in this thread.

CM

deerslayer
04-07-2010, 11:43 PM
I have not had the oppurtunity to use my 7mm mag on a deer yet as we are not allowed in Indiana. But I have taken many with a slug gun one as close as 5 or 10 yards with a 12 gauge pushing an ounce of lead with minimal damage to the meat. I know the 12 gauge does not have the velocity. That being said they kick about the same and I figure every action has an equal and opposite reaction so transferred energy especially at close range may be similiar. Either way I believe shot placement saves more meat than choice of gun within reason of course.

DLCTEX
04-08-2010, 06:39 AM
Yes, not much meat on the head.:lol:

BOOM BOOM
04-09-2010, 06:37 PM
HI,
I like the 145gr. speer SPBT.
But as you know the 7MM mag. will do some meat damage, unless it is a long range shot.
The 162gr Hornady is another bullet I like.
I use imr 4350 .

Hank10
04-11-2010, 11:30 AM
Meat damage has nothing to do with caliber. What it does have to do with is using the wrong bullet and/or shooting in the wrong place.
H10

mtjk
04-11-2010, 09:47 PM
About 15 years ago I treated myself to a custom rifle that would be exactly what I wanted for all my hunting in Montana.
I decided on a Rem 700 custom stainless action with a stainless Lilja 26" bbl. I use it for everything from antelope thru elk. All with the same load.
I load WW brass, Fed 215 primers, IMR 4831 and a 150gr Swift Sirroco bonded bullet at 3080 fps.
I get consistent groups well under an inch and excellent performance on game. I have only recovered a few bullets from game (most exit). The few I have recovered from longer shots on elk have expanded perfectly and kept more than 90% of their weight.
I have used it on game from elk at 20 yards to antelope at 700 don't plan on changing anything anytime soon.
The only thing that has me interested in changing might be to try the Nosler solid. I tried Barnes X and couldn't get the accuracy I wanted and I dont like the grooves on the outside of the bullet. If the smooth Nosler solid shoots good I might consider switching to that.
I still own and use other rifles for fun but when I want to get the job done, I always go for my 7 mag.

BOOM BOOM
05-08-2010, 04:40 PM
HI,
I use my custom 7MM/06 loaded w/ 55grs. IMR 4350 & a 145gr speer spbt. & get 3050'/s as my deer gun. VERY HOT LOAD!!!!!!!!! BE CAREFULL!!!!!!!!!!!!
In my 7MM mag. I use 65grs. IMR 4350 & a 162gr hornady spbt as my elk load & GET 3050'/S. very hot load!!!!!!!!!!!!! be carefull !!!!!!!
Use same stock dementions, same scope, trajectory almost identical to 500yds.
this is with WW brass, only.