PDA

View Full Version : Casting temp. ?

paul45120
04-05-2010, 06:09 PM
I've spent the last few weeks ( and all my extra monrey) LOL, getting things together to cast 45 ACP boolits. The PID controller is done and working fine.
I'll be casting with WW+2% tin. I've been casting small lots and checking weights and dimensions on all boolits.
So far 665 to 675 is giving pretty good mold fill out. This is with a LEE 228 grn TL RN and a LEE 230grn TL TC six cavity molds. Weights are also much more consistant after I added the tin.
My question for you guys that have these molds is what is your casting temp?
Do you have a "range" you work within?
What is your max temp you cast at?

Thanks for all the help so far guys.

mooman76
04-05-2010, 08:29 PM
That's something you really have to find out for yourself. There are lots of variables. Speed you cast, how accurate your temp, type of mould aluminum or steel. Your surrounding temperature and if you are outside is there a breeze. Size of the mould and alloy used and many other things I did not mention. I could go on and on.

missionary5155
04-05-2010, 09:13 PM
Good evening
I was doing some casting early Saturday morning with my Saeco 443 (Bronze) and I was running my pot at 750-775. I have an industrial temp guage I stick in the pot off and on. I cook over a propane burner table top cook stove. This was a mix that measures about 8-9. Range lead mixed with pure that gets launched out of my vintage 44-40 Winny SRC.
I add 2 lb ingots as the 10 ld pot gets down to about 70%. When I am casting with one double mold I return the sprue to the pot from the previous cycle before I wack the plate. Once this mold gets up to temp it cast near 100% IF I remember to fill the rear chamber 1st. If I fill the front chamber 1st the rear fails to fill out 25%. I use a lyman dipper and pressure pour. With one mold I generally plop the srue plate on a wet rag while I am returning the previous sprue to the pot. No frosting and few rejects.
If I use a hard mix I run the pot a bit hotter as needed.

mpmarty
04-05-2010, 09:42 PM
I have RCBS, H&G, LYMAN and a whole bunch of LEE molds. I cast them all at between 775 and 800 degrees per Lyman thermometer that lives in my 20lb LEE pot. I do rest the mold on a damp towel in a shallow metal pie plate with water in the bottom between two or three pours to keep the frosting under control. I don't reject frosted boolits but I prefer them to be shiny.