PDA

View Full Version : Are we all in the same boat????

mag_01
07-11-2006, 07:30 PM
:-D ---When I'm at the range I can not resist picking up a hunk of lead or an empty shell casing---To top it off I have more lead and casings than I will ever use---anyone else have this sickness---Mag_01:castmine:

imashooter2
07-11-2006, 07:45 PM
All except the more lead than I'll ever use part...

Johnch
07-11-2006, 07:47 PM
Same sickness here .
But I don't have enough WW or pure lead .
I do probely have enough range lead ,about a 1400 lb pile waiting for me to melt down .

I sell scrap brass and good cases to off set my sickness

Johnch

bisley45
07-11-2006, 08:18 PM
yep I have it bad please help

db2
07-11-2006, 08:44 PM
Yeah me too, I do not concider it a problem though. As soon as I hit 1000 brass of the same caliber I feel obligated to buy a gun to shoot the brass in. I tried 500 pieces however, the other half wasn't game on that idea.

db2

PAT303
07-11-2006, 09:01 PM
I thought I was the only fruitcake that did that. Seem's like I'm in the right place!!! PAT.

Poygan
07-11-2006, 09:16 PM
Its only the beginning...I picked up some 40 S&W brass and don't have anything in that caliber and have no great desire to acquire anything as well. Plus, I sorted it out by headstamp and which ones had gone through a Glock. The next stage of this malady is to get moulds that you (currently) have no use for. But there is always tomorrow and the promise of new acquisitions.

Bigscot
07-11-2006, 09:43 PM
Yea when my dad and i go to the range he finds a thousands of 30-30,44,30-06 caliber brass even some old army brass plus 223,45,270,243,22,17 caliber brass,and when i try to shoot always has me look at the brass. So he has it REEEEEEL bad.

Anyone have it this bad or know anyone that has it this bad

posted by:Bigscott jr.

hpdrifter
07-11-2006, 09:59 PM
Not only that, I really hate shooting my P-97 45 acp cause it just flings the brass into never never land.

dragonrider
07-11-2006, 10:13 PM
Ohhh Yeeaaa, got it bad

ANeat
07-11-2006, 10:28 PM
Thats normal. The weird ones are the ones that leave brass laying everywhere. First thing I do when I get to the range is see if anyone left any good brass laying around.

Adam

shooter575
07-11-2006, 11:17 PM
Who woulda thunk 10 years ago that with the power of putters and high tech that you would find a bunch of sick puppy clones of yourself! We smile when we read about some dummy trying the same stupid thing we tried last month that didnt work. or we think up some great idea.just get started on it and find out that everyone decides this week you are the big dummy.
Dont ya just love it!
:razz: :razz: :razz: :razz:

bart55
07-11-2006, 11:31 PM
Boy and I thought I was special seems I am just like the rest of you guys, still got brass I picked up in the early sixties ,just waiting to buy the rifle to make use of it .

krag35
07-11-2006, 11:53 PM
YUP, except for the to much lead part
krag35

Slowpoke
07-12-2006, 12:01 AM
:-D ---When I'm at the range I can not resist picking up a hunk of lead or an empty shell casing---To top it off I have more lead and casings than I will ever use---anyone else have this sickness---Mag_01:castmine:

I don't have a problem, not me!

Yesterday I went to the range to shoot up 400 rds of 45acp. I came home with 300 of those rds unfired.

But I picked up a paper grocery bag about 3/4 full of nickel acp brass, I just high graded the nickel cases, I didn't even fool with the brass ones.Plus about a half bag of mixed 38 special and 357 mag.

I also got a 13 gallon plastic bag full of 12 Ga AA hulls and another one with mixed REM and Fed GM' hulls.

Today I picked up 3 buckets of WW for a 10 dollar bill, life is good.

Good luck

PatMarlin
07-12-2006, 12:12 AM
When I lived in the big city, at the range I was always on my knees... :mrgreen:

-what a brass ho... [smilie=1:

LET-CA
07-12-2006, 12:25 AM
I shoot near Sacramento and find that the place is littered with 45 ACP, 223, 243, 30-30, 30-06, 9mm, and 38 special. Shooters seem to pick up their 357, 41, and 44 mag. It's nothing to see boxes of 20 rifle cases put into the box and then tossed. Not a lot of reloaders at my range. Now if they'd just leave some 444 Marlin stuff out for me.

The owner sells the range lead for 15-17 cents a pound to anyone who wants it. He's got a small mountain next to his reloading shed.

PatMarlin
07-12-2006, 12:38 AM
Sounds like Cordova?

That's where I used to shoot.. :drinks:

357maximum
07-12-2006, 12:47 AM
"Are we all in the same boat???? "

Looks like we "NORMAL" individuals would need a very big boat, NAVY surplus perhaps...

Buckshot
07-12-2006, 01:21 AM
.................I'm not as bad about it as I used to be. I was as terrible about it as you could get. When we moved to town in 2000 I probably threw away a half ton of brass. Didn't even think about re-cycling it. Or range had a "No Pickup" policy unless it was your brass, as the rangemaster got it all and sold it to a commercial reloader. At that time the rangemaster was not paid very well, at all.
If someone looked like they were going to toss it (there's brass buckets all down the line) you could ask them for it and then it was okay.

However the guy running the commercial reloading deal got into RC cars and sold his business. So then the rangemaster, who used to shoot the Burrito Match with us on Tuesdays began to give me brass for guns he knew I had. In the mid '90's when there was that large influx of Korean re-imported M1 Garands there'd be PMC 30-06 brass drifted up like snow around the benches. I had to beg him to stop sacking it up for me!

It was a good thing I didn't shoot a 9mm pistol! I'd have had to drive a dump truck to the range each week to haul it home. But as I said, when we moved I filled 2 large plastic garbage cans with brass. I still have 30-06, 45 ACP, 223, 7.62x39, 38 Special and 357 Mag brass I haven't seen out of the cardboard boxes I put them in 10 years ago :-)

How come no one leaves 38 Super, HA!

................Buckshot

LET-CA
07-12-2006, 01:29 AM
Sounds like Cordova?

That's where I used to shoot.. :drinks:

You got it. It's about 5 minutes from the office. We go at lunch sometimes. Went the other day with a couple of the guys from our office who are headed to Iraq for 12 months. They'll be field service reps for our company taking care of of our equipment that's used by the military. Good guys, good times. Important to keep them feeling like part of the team. They're working 84 hour weeks while in-country.

StarMetal
07-12-2006, 01:54 AM
I've found alot of 38 Super in my times. Even picked up a few boxes of 7.5 Swiss Norma. Also some 32 acp. One case I've never seen left behind is the 45 Colt.

Joe

dk17hmr
07-12-2006, 07:50 AM
We hardly ever go to a "range" we have a 300 yard rifle range in our back yard. Come to think of it I have only been to a real range maybe 7-8 times. My dad is a switchman for a CenturyTel and he drives around all day when he is in the area he will stop by some of the local ranges and pick up every brass case (except 22lr) and sometimes he brings home a couple handfulls of range scrap.

We have more brass in about any American caliber a guy could ever want. If we went by the 1000 case rule we would have more guns then I could cast bullets for.

Next rifles on our list is a Magnum either 7mm or 300 win because we dont have one yet and we are close to 500 cases for each. My next pistol is going to be a 40 S&W we have close to 2000 cases pistol is going to be either a XD, Glock, or a EAA Witness. I am leaning more towards the Witness.

DK

mag_01
07-12-2006, 09:51 AM
:drinks: ---I'm not alone--Thxs. guys I feel better Mag [smilie=1:

ktw
07-12-2006, 10:09 AM
Its only the beginning...I picked up some 40 S&W brass and don't have anything in that caliber and have no great desire to acquire anything as well.

Someone leaves these at our range, too. We have found that they make great 22rf plinking targets out on the 60 yard line.

-ktw

hunter64
07-12-2006, 11:22 AM
(People gathered in a room in a circle) Hello, My name is James and I am a range hound, (everyone responds with a hello James). Sometimes I just can't help myself I pick up everything just because someday you might need it.

I wish I could find cheap lead, all the tire stores are selling there lead for 30 bucks a 5 gallon pail full of WW. I must have in the thousands of brass that I don't even have guns for but I use them to offset my lead purchases. Help me.

HORNET
07-12-2006, 07:00 PM
mag 01,
Did you have some kind of erroneous notion that this was a support group or something?? This place is full of enablers. I've got enough lead around that I have to scatter it out in smaller piles to keep from damaging the concrete floors or sinking the footings and I still look for more. :twisted:
Trying to gather enough scrap brass to finance another mold (or two).
Just watch out for those real troublemakers over in GROUP BUYS. That place could be hazardous to your fiscal wellbeing (and physical wellbeing if SWMBO finds out what you spent).:bigsmyl2:

Rooster
07-12-2006, 07:38 PM
My first topic, my first post, and already I feel some bonding. I see I'm at the right place!

ETA-Group buys? Whats this about GGGGGGrrrouuuppp bbbbbuys?

waksupi
07-12-2006, 07:57 PM
My first topic, my first post, and already I feel some bonding. I see I'm at the right place!

ETA-Group buys? Whats this about GGGGGGrrrouuuppp bbbbbuys?

Welcome aboard, Rooster. Nothing to be afraid of, in the group buys. Nothing at all. Step on in, and look them over. Very benign, and surely not harmful. How could there be, they are just bullet molds? Lots, and lots, of bullet molds. Very good bullet molds. Molds that you may find you really have to own. But, they are certainly harmless. More so, if you are single, or don't mind eating spagetti or ramen a few times a week.

Rooster
07-12-2006, 08:19 PM
I'm surprised the first one isn't "free"!

targetshootr
07-12-2006, 09:30 PM
I have 15 buckets of ww in the garage and I still stop at tire shops looking for more. Sumpin ain't right.

Possum
07-12-2006, 09:35 PM
I have about 1500+ pounds of WW ingots in the shop. Trying to figure out how much is enough! Now I am collecting for my family who will sooner or later see the light and start shooting cast with a TC. At least I can hope can't I? It justifies stopping by the tire store once a week.:-D

Bucks Owin
07-13-2006, 02:12 PM
Yep, anything on the ground is fair game for my scrounging habit!

Lead, brass, alum cans & bottles....I even gather up all the rimfire cases I shoot and save then in a 5 gallon pail back at the shop. The lead gets recast, the rest gets recycled. One thing I cannot stand is a litterbug! I clean up trash most anywhere I find it....

Dennis

Bigjohn
07-13-2006, 03:03 PM
I am currently under going councilling for this problem. :roll:

My Therapist (That' ME!), advised me to have regular sessions at the range doing just this; pick up all the empty cases and lumps of lead I see, until I can't take it anymore. :-D

Our club has the cleanest range in the south east and I have buckets of brass and lead; just don't know if I have enough time left on this side of the soil to use it all, seeing as how I continue to add to the material I pick up. Some pieces I am seeing for the third or forth time. [smilie=1:

I don't think the therapy is working as I am not cured yet. :castmine:

John.

mecoastie
07-13-2006, 09:30 PM
I have a range that is on the way to work. I stop at least once a week to check the buckets. Monday morning about 6AM is the best time. All the weekend shooters have left their brass. Just got a hundred .243 yesterday. Sometimes I get lucky and get a bucket half full of .223 or .45. There is a ton of lead at the range and I have been meaning to ask if I can scrounge it up.

As a side any of you have any 7.62x39, 7.62x25 or .303 Brit that you want to get rid of? These are really the only cals I load that I havent been able to find brass for.

tom barthel
07-13-2006, 09:37 PM
What's really bad is finding some odd caliber brass then getting realoding dies and reloading it when you don't have a gun in that caliber. Next you go shopping for ANOTHER gun. That's why I'm usually broke.

charlie / sw mo
07-13-2006, 10:52 PM
What's really bad is finding some odd caliber brass then getting realoding dies and reloading it when you don't have a gun in that caliber. Next you go shopping for ANOTHER gun. That's why I'm usually broke.

while on a range the other day a guy gave me a box of 6.5 dutch ammo--i have never heard of that cal so asked for one round--he gave me the whole box. hope i dont find the rifle.

charlie in sw mo

Scrounger
07-14-2006, 12:06 AM
while on a range the other day a guy gave me a box of 6.5 dutch ammo--i have never heard of that cal so asked for one round--he gave me the whole box. hope i dont find the rifle.

charlie in sw mo

Isn't that the same as 6.5X54, aka 6.5 Mannlicher? Just wondering....

9.3X62AL
07-14-2006, 12:33 AM
As a side any of you have any 7.62x39, 7.62x25 or .303 Brit that you want to get rid of? These are really the only cals I load that I havent been able to find brass for.

7.62 x 25 that we want to get rid of.......yeah, RIGHT! :-)

Frank46
07-14-2006, 03:05 AM
Used to spend a lot of time looking for brass, sometimes would join in on the foot race to see who got to the pistol range first after the last shooter left. Even scrounged up the spent lead at the pistol berm. 3-4 5 gallon buckets was my best haul. Still have one left. Would deprime the stuff I wanted to save, wash and then tumble and store in plastic freezer bags. Any other brass would get dumped into buckets to be recycled. Dirty job but someone's gotta do it. Frank

johnho
07-14-2006, 09:53 AM
thanks guys. I thought I was nuts and my wife knows I am.

when I go down to our range and i see all that nice lead sitting there I have to go get my little rake and screen and a bunch of 5 gallon pails. I have in my garage probably 1800 pounds of nice cleaned lead bars in a wooden box that the bottom finally broke out of and i still keep getting more. I figure that's around 66,600 185 grain bullets. I'm 61 and figure I'll shoot for another 15 years. That would be about 4400 rounds per year or almost 400 per week. hmmmm. Maybe I have enough. Nah. I still have room.