PDA

View Full Version : Lunenburg MA gunshow

dragonrider
04-03-2010, 10:15 PM
Today was one of the twice yearly gunshows that are my favorites. At the Lunenburg Sportsman Club in Lunenburg, Ma. I find these shows to be the most enjoyable of any happening around the area. They are small perhaps 40 tables and this makes it possible to really inspect the items and talk with the sellers You have the time to ask questions and sometime find out that they have other stuff not shown on their tables. So while perusing the wares offered today I came across a Winchester Model 12, 12 guage. Not a hint of blueing on it anywhere but the action was smooth and all original and the bore was very nice. There is some surface pitting but with some fileing and polishing and bead blasting and bluing it will look good, not great but good.The wood seems to have been refinished at some point but is in good shape with no large dents or scrapes or gouges. It should refinish nicely. I has an ugly variable choke of some king on it that will soon be gone. At first I gave it a once over and moved on to see what else was there I really had no intentions of buying it but then came back and gave it a second look, had a price tag of $150.00 and then he said "make me an offer" so I said $100.00, he said $125.00, I said no, I won't give more than $100 for it. He said OK. So I took it home. some pics below.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/PaulGauthier/Win%20Modle%2012/IMG_4080.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/PaulGauthier/Win%20Modle%2012/IMG_4081.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/PaulGauthier/Win%20Modle%2012/IMG_4082.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/PaulGauthier/Win%20Modle%2012/IMG_4083.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/PaulGauthier/Win%20Modle%2012/IMG_4084.jpg

JIMinPHX
04-04-2010, 04:14 AM
Wow, Lunenburg, I haven't been up there since I worked at a place in Billerica. I didn't know that they had gun shows out there.

That thing certainly seems like a keeper for $100.

There seems to be a lot of shotguns floating around in Mass, with ugly adjustable chokes on them. I seem to remember seeing a whole bunch of them at a place called "the powder horn" in Hyannis. Those adjustable chokes may look ugly, but they usually work pretty well. You may find that your $100 junker may turn out to be a good shooter. I wouldn't have turned my nose up at it. I'd be proud to own that "ugly" little 12 bore. I'll bet that she handles pretty good.

Westwindmike
04-04-2010, 09:49 AM
I didn't know that they "allowed" gun shows in MA. I tried to buy ammo there at at gun shop one time. They wouldn't sell it to me because I didn't have my "ammo card". Permission from the state to buy ammo! I don't miss going there on business any more. Well, I do miss the lobster rolls!

dragonrider
04-04-2010, 10:13 AM
Yes for now there are still guns shows in Ma maybe 6 or 8 a year mostly in late fall, winter, early spring.

Shiloh
04-04-2010, 10:26 AM
+1 to Westwindmike.

This is Taxachusetts. Land of Kennedy's (Dead) and Barney Frank. I'm truly suprised gun shows are tolerated.

Shiloh

skeet1
04-04-2010, 11:01 AM
If the gun is good mechanically it might make a fun skeet gun.

Skeet1

MtGun44
04-04-2010, 11:14 AM
You should probably pattern that old gun before you saw off the barrel (even more). You might be
pleasantly surprised and in guns of this class, function is all they have left to offer the
world - so be careful of taking away the function that you may not be able to put back.

I, too, am surprised to hear that the 6 or 8 guys that still shoot in Mass get together in public
in 'gun shows'. :kidding:

HORNET
04-05-2010, 07:51 PM
Hard to tell from the picture but that kind of looks like the Mossberg C-Lect Choke. Not a pretty unit, I'll agree but they do work well and let you change chokes "on-the-fly" without carrying a pocket full of choke tubes and wrenches. Got one on my old 20 gauge bolt action Mossy.

Buckshot
04-06-2010, 12:27 AM
...............That shotgun for $100? I'd have NOTHING bad to say about it, except you got a great deal! Heck, I bought an old Stevens 84C bolt action 22 rifle for $50. Not because I needed or wanted another 22 bolt action, but merely for the fact of buying it for $50 was reason enough!

You can leave it the way it is or spend some more money on it ans STILL have a great deal.

................Buckshot

trapper9260
04-06-2010, 08:55 AM
I was from MA , until I move out of the state in 95. I had been out there a few time since and I was looking to buy some ammo when i vist one of my sisters that did live out there. The place i wanted to buy some ammo said i could not since I was not from MA but my sister could for me . After I left the state in 95 the laws had change way too much ,on guns and trapping . Yes I use to trap in MA . I can not live with the laws they have there now. By the way that sister that had live there ,dose not any more she is in GA. I will vist some people out in MA sometime in the coming years . But to buy any reloading stuff I do not think so. I do miss the sea food. As for the shoot gun you got a good deal . I had one when I live out there in MA from a privite person on a 357 blackhawk . I paid $100 for it all was worng was the front sight had the iorn miss for adjustmaent and sight . Same guy I got a 10 ga side by side for $200 not a thing was worng with it. I was made in spain. Nice gun . Just some time got to be there at the right time where ever you are.