PDA

View Full Version : How Often to Clean?

NVcurmudgeon
07-11-2006, 01:32 PM
I left the bore in my sporterized Krag uncleaned for several months and 251 rounds. The last four cast boolits grouped 2 1/4" at 100 yards, not bad for Lyman 57 rear, a small steel bead front sight, and eyes that first saw the light of day during FDR's first term. Yesterday I decided to shoot a few jacketed bullets, so cleaned the barrel. There was no leading. The cast boolit loads were 16.0 gr. Alliant 2400 and either Lyman 314299 or Lyman 311284 cast of WW plus 2 % tin.

sundog
07-11-2006, 02:38 PM
Curmudg, interesting that you should bring this up. Sailman and I had a discusssion over SMLEs Saturday at the monthly mil bolt match. We agreed that after the October State Shoot Off, that we should shoost our Brits for a match or ttthhhrrreee just for grins, giggles, and braggin' rights. I had mine with me, a No 4 Mk I. Times past it's shot some pretty nice groups (one time 30 consecutive 10s in a SR21 at 100 - would sure like to do that in a match!). I shot it Saturday after out match, mostly to use up a bunch of loaded ammo. I have just very recently acquired a Lee collet neck sizer (see other thread currently ongoing about them) and have some nice 314299s already cast. Also have some Terry Washburn 200s from a mould I got from Jump. And a lapped out .314 H&I die. Well, Saturday it shot more like a scattergun than anything else, so I says to meself, "Self, ya needs to clean this'un." So that I did. I started Saturday, and I was still getting lead out Sunday night. Lots of itty bitty specs. LOTS! But, it's clean now. Prolly cleaner than its been in years. Smooth as a babies bee-hind! Wonder how long it'll take to foul? Glad I ran a patch and found the lead foul though.

Generally, I don't clean too much as long as accuracy is not suffering. Or, if I know it's gonna sit in the rack for a long time. sundog

fecmech
07-11-2006, 02:56 PM
NV--I know this is not exactly apples to apples but I never clean the barrels on my revolvers. Both my K-38 and Ruger gp 100 have had nothing but bullets down the bore for years. Yes I said years and have no idea how many thousands of rounds! I see no reason to clean when there is nothing but a light coat of lube in the barrel. Both guns will group in the 2" range at 50 yds so accuracy does not suffer. My guns get shot 3 or 4 times a week so if I cleaned them after each use I'd have little time for casting or loading. Nick