PDA

View Full Version : new RANCH DOG mold casting small boolits???

Pages : [1] 2

jeff223
07-11-2006, 11:34 AM
i have a couple of boolits left that Ranch Dog sent me some time ago and they both measure between .4315 and .432,these were boolits he cast and sized

my new RANCH DOG mold drops boolits out that measure .428 to .430 and at the base of the boolit just up from where the gas check goes it will measure in at .431??these new molds were to drop boolits out at .432 or bigger.am i doing something wrong?i used wheel weight lead with alittle solder added to help mold fillout

is there anything i can do to get a fatter boolit from this mold?i need a .432 boolit for accuracy.i got good accuracy with his boolits but not with mine.im sure its because mine mold is dropping the boolits out smaller than what i need.

there are a couple more things i noticed about these boolits i cast compairing them to RANCH DOGS boolits he sent me.my boolits are longer than his and they have a larger meplat than his.this is no big deal but they are differant than his

RANCH DOG bought a new mold from my group buy and maybe he will chime in on this.

thanks for any help in advance
jeff

45 2.1
07-11-2006, 11:54 AM
There is one thing about LEE, sometimes you get near what you wanted and at other times you don't get anything near what you wanted. Anytime they get something really close to what you wanted, you better keep it and not let them get their hands on it again.

jeff223
07-11-2006, 01:06 PM
45 2.1 thanks for the quick responce on this.i hope the others have good luck and can use their molds.i didnt know this was a crap shoot when we order from the Lee company

it will be interesting to see what RANCH DOG has to say about this.like i said he ordered a mold from me and he can compair the outcome from his molds.i sent him a PM about this ad expect some input from him

i also plan on talking to my gun smith who is also a master machinest to see if he can HOG OUT the holes on my mold.i would like at least .432 to start out with if not .433

i did notice when i used my .432 push through sizer die the boolits pushed through kind of easy.the die didnt even put any rub marks on the boolits bit it did install the gas checks nice and tite

45 2.1
07-11-2006, 01:38 PM
Jeff, it normally isn't a crap shoot, but sometimes they just don't get it right or close to right.

I'll give you guys something to think about here. Even undersize, you can use your molds normally, since they are gas checked, by doing this. Use a very soft alloy, something between 8 and 9 BHN (pure lead & WW 1/2 & 1/2), that has a very low antimony content. Cast, water drop them,install the GC, lube with LEE liquid lube a couple of times and try it out. You will have to play with the alloy some to get it where you want it depending on velocity. The boolit will be hard and expand easily. You can probably get away with makeing it softer also.

steveb
07-11-2006, 02:19 PM
I know I need at least .432 out of my Rossi 92. Thats what my bore measures. I MAY just use air cooled WW so it will obertrate and seal the bore. Beagling is always an option to I guess. I havent got mine yet but I will let you guys know what they are dropping out at as soon as I can.....Steve.

Dutch4122
07-11-2006, 02:21 PM
Lets hope they do better with the original .434" WFNGC order that 10 of us stuck with and paid the extra setup fee to get. Situations like this were why I was pushing for going fat (maybe even as fat as .435" or .436") on the spec sheet sent to Lee; because it's always easier to size down than up. And, Lee will always call within .003" good enough so it might be a crap shoot getting them to fix any moulds you want to send back.

steveb
07-11-2006, 02:21 PM
Another thing, can these moulds that we got out of this group buy throw different size bullets for all of us?? Say we was all using just straight WW??

jeff223
07-11-2006, 03:06 PM
i will try using a softer lead like you said 45 2.1 but if it doesnt work out im sending mine back to LEE to have them deal with it.with my group buy from last year and my two buys from this year i or i should say we spent close to 5 grand on molds.i just started another group buy for a flat based 357 boolit and im thinking about calling that one off or changing to a company that can produce a mold that we want.

i sure hope the fat 44 mold deal i ran turns out better than this.im new at this cast boolit buisness and this undersized boolit thing is a pain in the A$$ for me.Ranch Dogs boolits shot great for me and these dont.i will play around for a spell but not for long.my mold will be going back so Lee can correct it for me and i hope the others do the same if need be.

im sure the molds will be getting into the hands of their new owners very soon and im waiting to see how their molds work out for them.i will keep my fingers crossed for you guys

later
jeff

Ranch Dog
07-12-2006, 08:30 AM
Jeff...

I haven't received my mold yet but will give it a try as soon as it arrives. The drawing specifies .432". The guarantee is from -.000" to +.003". We should see .432" to .435". I can't use the small bullets so I will send mine back. You can make them larger but I doubt that I would ever get around to doing the work as I've been staying so busy on the ranch. Also remember that the guarantee specification is with a 1 part tin to 10 parts lead alloy (read WW). From what you described, it sounds like that is what you were casting with so that isn't the problem there.

Here is a clip of the guarantee off the Lee Custom Bullet Mold Design Assistance Sheet.

http://home.awesomenet.net/~ranch-dog/Casting/Images/Lee Guarantee.jpg

The length is very puzzling to me???

If it needs to be returned, I'm not sure how they handle the guarantee with a group buy but let's do it with a smile as it will go a lot smoother than being angry or nasty about the error. I've had several warranty claims with Lee products including my TLC379-210-RF special order. They had me send the molds back and replaced them to my spec no problem.

Ranch Dog
07-12-2006, 08:30 AM
What was the length of the bullet Jeff?

jeff223
07-12-2006, 11:13 AM
my boolits were 3 to 4 thousands longer than yours and the meplat is much bigger.the meplat is the size of the Lee 310gr boolit.i dont care about the added length or the bigger meplat but they are too skinny.

i dont plan on getting nasty with them about this but i feel bad about these molds being out of spec.maybe with alittle luck the others will have better luck with their molds than i did.my mold casts some nice looking boolits that are filled out good but they just dont measure up good.i would be very happy if the mold dropped the boolits out at .434 or .435.

i cast about 150 of them to start things out and i only have a a few boolits that show any signs of being sized,then the only signs are down near the base of the boolit just up from the gas check.

maybe in a few days some of the others will be casting with their molds and there will be some input from them too

cast-n-blast
07-12-2006, 04:44 PM
I received my mold today and am SAD to report that my bullets cast of pure WW are running anywhere from .430-.431" in diameter. In other words, useless for marlin triple 4 loads. I am disappointed in LEE, as I always stood up for their products in the past, as others would bash them. It will be interesting to see if they rectify their error. Wonder why they didn't just use Ranchdogs original cherry ?

Buckshot
07-12-2006, 06:04 PM
".............Wonder why they didn't just use Ranchdogs original cherry ?"

They aren't cut with a cherry. They're lathe bored either using a 'form tool' or a form tool and some single pointing, or all single point tools. Depends on the design and their experience.

..................Buckshot

jeff223
07-12-2006, 06:50 PM
sorry to here about your mold casting small too.i measured some boolits i cast today and the results are the same.i used wheel weight lead with some solder added to help mold fillout.the mold is casting some great looking boolits but who cares about that if you cant shoot them with accuracy out of anything?i can take a boolit and measure it down near the gas check and that measures .431 and as you move up the boolit the measurement goes to .427,then to 428 then it goes to .429??must be the mold maker was smoking grass that dayhttp://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

im packing my mold up and that baby is going back to LEE PRECISION in the morning.i hope someone who got in on the deal can use their mold but if not i hope they are all sent back to LEE for a hole hog out.im wondering what the poor dudes will do that bought molds that live in Sweden and Austraila?

PLEASE POST YOUR RESULTS HERE
we would all like to know how this mold works out for you

AnthonyB
07-12-2006, 06:59 PM
Fellas, when I did the BD45CM buy I sent the entire lot back to Lee to be recut because they didn't cut them proporly. They will argue and fight about it, but persistence and a positive attitude pays off. I think they ran the entire group of moulds all over again, and I expect to see the originals on their surplus list at some point. I tried to buy a few at reduced cost and was told they would be sold as surplus/seconds. Tony

krag35
07-12-2006, 09:02 PM
When mine gets here, I'll cast a few up. If they measure less than .432, back to lee it goes. I'm hoping the fat 44 comes out to spec.
krag35

Ranch Dog
07-12-2006, 09:46 PM
Didn't get mine today. I'm really sad to hear that all the dimensions are different from my original mold.... not good.

Anybody have any experience with a group buy return? Shouldn't they all go back together? AnthonyB can you comment on how you think we should handle this in that you sent a group buy back...

I cast some of my new TLC311-165-RFs today, received them while I was gone this past week. They are right on the money so there is no reason why the TLC432 should not have been cut to the drawing...

AnthonyB
07-12-2006, 10:42 PM
I think 25 guys complaining will get more attention than one guy trying to complain about 25 moulds. Why not wait a few days for all moulds to arrive, and then coordinate an onslaught of complaints to Lee? That way Lee can't dismiss it as an individual problem. Every returned mould would ideally have a copy of the spec sheet and a listing of where the mould fails to meet specs. Tony

Newtire
07-12-2006, 11:06 PM
I think Buckshot's statement about the moulds being cut with a form tool explains lots of things. For one thing, if the tool is made improperly, then more than likely, none of the moulds will be cut right. But you would have thought they would have checked it out real good first before making a run. You would have to cast some boolits to do that. I know they can do that at such a place. Have to see if mine is good enough or not. If not, it's going back...moan...

LET-CA
07-13-2006, 02:45 AM
I'll give mine a try when it arrives. If it's undersized, it'll go back for warranty repair. We may have to coordinate with Lee on how the return is done. I'm a big believer in leaving the temper at home though. They're an honorable company. Give them a chance to make it good.

Buckshot
07-13-2006, 03:33 AM
..............Might not be a bad idea to include a couple of the cast boolits with the mould when it goes back. That way they can positively SEE the results are wrong and 'off spec'.

Doesn't matter if it is a group buy or not. It met Lee's requirements and Lee's price was paid, same as buying one in a store. Richard Lee makes several statements about how their moulds are so precise in his reloading manual. He says they can guarentee a slug better then .001" of being perfect and .000" (nothing) to .003" oversize of print.

Definately send'em back if they don't cast correctly!

..................Buckshot

steveb
07-13-2006, 10:58 AM
I got mine in the mail and will cast some in the morning hopefully and see what they are dropping out at and let you guys know the results. As already mentioned wouldnt it be better if we all sent them in together??

jeff223
07-13-2006, 06:17 PM
Guys i dont see how they can be sent back together.i sent molds all over the country,some to Canada,one to a dude down under and two went to Sweden.i didnt send mine back yet because something came up today but mine is going back in the morning.i also plan on calling Lee Precision in the morning too.like i said before we have spent alot of money on this mold deal($1900.00 for 36 molds)and i feel they can sort things out.i will tell them they can expect a bunch of them to be returned to be reworked or replaced.i will send some of my boolits along with my mold for them to look over.my boolits dont even measure up with 3 coats of alox on them.

by the way the guy in Austraila got his mold.he sent me a PM telling me thanks for taking care of him.he hasnt seen this thread yet but i expect he will once he reads my reply.

i will be nice on the phone but i will tell them there is a bunch of unhappy campers out therehttp://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

VTDW
07-13-2006, 06:30 PM
I got my mold today. It measures exactly .400 with an exact depth of .735

I don't figure to be doing any casting for the old fo-foty-fo.

Dave

VTDW
07-13-2006, 06:32 PM
I got my mold today. It measures exactly .400 with an exact depth of .735

I don't figure to be doing any casting for the old fo-foty-fo. :violin:

Dave

Ranch Dog
07-13-2006, 06:46 PM
I got my mold today but didn't cast from it. When I opened the mold blocks I could see right away that it wasn't the Ranch Dog mold... close, but not what we ordered. It's under diameter and the nose is too wide... I can visually see that. After casting several thousand of these puppies it's kind of like knowing which black dog is yours. You just know... and I don't need to cast any samples.

Under diameter will not make this a high performance big-game bullet. The wider nose might generate some chambering concerns on individual rifles and the OAL would have to be adjusted.

Jeff, I still appreciate ALL that you have done with this buy. Don't let this get to you. It's just another day in the life of a fellow looking for a "silver bullet". I've got faith in Lee and I believe they will make it right.

It's been a heck of a day here at the ranch and I'm pooped. I will try to post some pictures of the differences between the molds after dinner.

cast-n-blast
07-13-2006, 07:40 PM
Jeff223, was there an order # for the RD mold to refer to. I am also going to send mine back. I have always had faith in LEE products, and don't plan on changing my mind on them. This will be reflected in the letter I send, along with some undersized cast boolits. As RD and others have stated, I believe respect and proof in the puddin' will be more beneficial than an all out rant and rave session. I will also send a diagram of said mold. Thanks for all your hard work ! I know this was out of your control. Thanks for any referenced mold #'s or order #'s. Jeff

waksupi
07-13-2006, 08:04 PM
It might be worthwhile to ask Lee, if they don't have time to do it right the first time, when will they find time to make it right the secound time?
We went through something like that when I started working at my current job. There had been a guy there before me, who thought it was better to get things out fast, rather than right. I spent two months fixing returned rifles, that he had slammed together. After he left, we got a couple real rifle builders in the place, and we have had zero returned rifles, since. When they go out the door, they function 100% and are cosmetically sound. When a company has returns, they are in trouble. This takes out from production time, which translates into money out of the company coffers. How can Lee afford to let this go on?

tom barthel
07-13-2006, 08:10 PM
I just got mine today and cast a few. They are undersized. I understand stuff happens. Do I need to call Lee before sending the mold to them? Do I just send it to the factory and mark it attention customer service and describe the problem? I will send a couple of bullets with the mould. They do cast faster with a six holer. I gotta find more wheel weights.
I'm willing to feed the kitty to buy an extra to send to the guys in other countries. I feel sorry for them being stuck with an undersized mold. If someone will take charge of something like this, I will pledge $25.00 to help cover the costs.

cast-n-blast
07-13-2006, 08:47 PM
RanchDog, when you sent your specs, for your various molds,were the diagrams of the specs for the cast bullet, or the cavity of the mold ? As we all know, the lead alloy bullet will shrink a smidge as it cools. I'm thinking maybe LEE cut the cavities of the molds to the .432" specs of the diagram, and that's why we are all getting undersized bullets. Just a thought.

jcork
07-13-2006, 08:49 PM
Is there any reason for me to even unwrap mine, or can I assume it is identical to all the rest? If it is undersized, I'll just send it back to Lee.

jeff223
07-13-2006, 09:00 PM
guys i will post the order number for you in the morning.i also have a letter made up and i will be sending my mold back tomorrow.

when you send a custom order in you are to print ATT:PAT on the order and thats what im going to do when i send my mold in.print it on the front of the box(ATT:PAT)

i also have a few of the boolits i made and i also have one of the boolits RANCH DOG made to send in to PAT so he can eye ball them.i am also going to print another spec sheet off for him to eye ball.maybe that will help.i dont know how he came up with this boolit over the regular RANCH DOG boolit???

i was really planning on blasting a deer with my new RANCH DOG boolits this year.i guess the FAT 44 boolit will have to do if that one measures up????time will tell????

maybe we should wait till we hear from the ones that bought the molds that live out of the country.maybe with alittle luck their molds will work for them.HOPE SO

jeff223
07-13-2006, 09:15 PM
here is the spec sheet if any of you want to print it off and send it in too with your mold
http://home.awesomenet.net/~ranch-dog/Casting/TLC432285RF/TLC432-285-RF%20Drawing_450x307.jpg

Ranch Dog
07-13-2006, 10:03 PM
My guess is they are all cut the same.

cast-n-blast... the image above is bullet cast dimensions. Note the specified bullet diameter in the lower right corner of the drawing. Also remember that Lee's performance guarantee is with a 1 to 10 (tin/lead alloy). I've been told by Lee that the alloy is WW. What I don't get is the nose profile. What I'm seeing is a Wide Flat Nose vs. the Round Flat.

steveb
07-13-2006, 10:23 PM
Well guys.......You guessed it. I got some cast this evening and they are dropping out between .429 -.430 at the rear driving band although I do like that w i d e flat nose. They are to small for the bore of my Rossi.AARRGG!http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/steveb3006/RDTLC432-285-RF.jpg

LET-CA
07-13-2006, 10:35 PM
It really looks like they did the order wrong. Wrong shape, wrong size equals wrong bullet.

no34570
07-14-2006, 09:10 AM
Ok Guys
I ordered the mould from jeff just like you all did,he got me the handles to go with it and a sizer die made by Buckshot,which by the way is very nice and sent it to me here in Australia,I have not had a chance to cast any yet,all my casting gear is at my camp over at work(Night time I do a bit of casting)although I have a small cast iron pot I could put on the gas stove and ladle some,but if one or two moulds are casting small,wouldn't it be all of them?
What do I do with mine?,send it back to Lee in the US? I don't have the Lee box that the mould came in anymore,it went to the tip yesterday and it was damaged.
I don't know if I have to get an export permit or what?.
What a bugger,I'll try and make some bullets in the morning and see how they go,but I don't like my bloody chances
Cheers
Dale
no34570

Bass Ackward
07-14-2006, 09:33 AM
Ok Guys
I ordered the mould from jeff just like you all did,he got me the handles to go with it and a sizer die made by Buckshot,which by the way is very nice and sent it to me here in Australia. Cheers, Dale no34570

Everyone,

I think you guys are too forgiving. What in the hell is the $100 set up fee for if not to get the tooling and dimensions correct before runing the order. That should include a trial molding to get it right. If they are not going to run any quality control for the $100, then maybe we should ask how much it would cost to have them do it? Even in pure lead these things should be droping at least .4315.

Jeff,

Dale should not have to send his mold back. Lee should have to make an send new one and cover the costs for international orders.

jeff223
07-14-2006, 09:50 AM
my mold is now in the mail back the LEE PRECISION along with a letter explaining the trouble with the mold and the boolits it drops.i also encluded one of my boolits that i cast and one that RANCH DOG cast with one of his molds.i made it very clear what we wanted out of this mold and i also stated it would be better if the mold dropped the boolits out alittle bigger than what we need so we could size them down to what we need.

i also talked to a lady at LEE this morning about this and explained to her all the molds from this deal were shipped out to you guys here in the US,Canada ,Austraila and Sweden.she told me she would have Pat call me today some time on my cell phone so we could talk this over.i will let you all know what he says ASAP

if you send your molds in i would send them right to Pat.
this is the order number 17825 and tell them you got the mold from me (Jeff Bowne)
i would also state you would like your mold back sometime soon as we already waited over 90 days

later guys,
jeff

PatMarlin
07-14-2006, 09:57 AM
Ditto on that.

Everyone,

I think you guys are too forgiving. What in the hell is the $100 set up fee for if not to get the tooling and dimensions correct before runing the order. That should include a trial molding to get it right. If they are not going to run any quality control for the $100, then maybe we should ask how much it would cost to have them do it? Even in pure lead these things should be droping at least .4315.

Jeff,

Dale should not have to send his mold back. Lee should have to make an send new one and cover the costs for international orders.

jeff223
07-14-2006, 10:00 AM
i just talked to Pat on my cell phone and he said they would take care of this for us.send your molds back to LEE if you want and print ATT:PAT on the package

molds comming from outside the US should be shipped back too if they dont work out for you.you will end up with some extra shipping costs to get your mold to them but i think it will be worth it in the end

GOOD LUCK everyone and have a good day

LET-CA
07-14-2006, 11:43 AM
This is just one more reason why I give a big thumbs-up to anyone who is willing to be a group buy honcho. Jeff, thanks for the work you've done on this. I really appreciate your efforts.

Lenny

405 WCF
07-14-2006, 12:57 PM
The molds are here!
The lead is in the pot, so I will be casting in a couple of minutes.
I will be back with my results within an our.

//Olle

405 WCF
07-14-2006, 01:35 PM
The molds cast bullets from .4275 - 4299 dia.
No bullet is over .430.
Nice molds and nice bullets, but to small for my 1/38 micro-groove Marlin.

tom barthel
07-14-2006, 04:45 PM
I just mailed my mold back to Lee. I called and spoke to Mary. She said they would watch for the mold. I've been using Lee products for 50 years and this is my first complaint. I got in on another group buy some time ago and got a two holer. It casts great. I'm STILL a happy camper. I really feel bad for the foreign buyers. If someone will handle a collection to help them, I'm still committed to Donating $25.00 to help with the costs.

405 WCF
07-14-2006, 04:59 PM
First of all I like to say thanks Jeff for all his work with our molds!
Great work my friend!!!
I will send our 2 Swedish molds back to Lee on Monday.
I really hope that we can get new molds very quick.

I casted my bullets out of ww + 5% tin, and the weigh 281 grs with gc and lube.
I loaded up 20 rounds, and the run very smooth trough my rifle.
Tomorrow I will go to the range and see how they shoot, even though they are undersized.
The bullets were nice and I really like them, but I hope that we can get new molds that drop bullets in the right size.

//Olle

no34570
07-14-2006, 05:49 PM
Hi guys
Just did some casting and no good,well under the expected .432 (.4288-.4295) what a royal pain in the butt.
I might have to go to the local tip and see if I can resurrect the Lee box that the mould came in and just tape it up.
Do I send just the mould guys or the handles as well?Should I send it to Lee or to Jeff223,I don't know what the procedure will be for me sending it back from here in Australia,don't know if I have to contact Aussie Customs or what?,any ideas?

Dale
no34570

no34570
07-14-2006, 05:58 PM
I just mailed my mold back to Lee. I called and spoke to Mary. She said they would watch for the mold. I've been using Lee products for 50 years and this is my first complaint. I got in on another group buy some time ago and got a two holer. It casts great. I'm STILL a happy camper. I really feel bad for the foreign buyers. If someone will handle a collection to help them, I'm still committed to Donating $25.00 to help with the costs.
Tom
that's nice of you to think of the foreign buyers like that,thats what makes this casting and shooting game worth while,the friends that you make and the spirit to help out a fellow caster/shooter when and where you can:) pat yourself on the back mate,i would if I was there.

I don't mind paying a little bit extra for return freight of my mould if it means I and everyone else gets what we all paid for,what we should of got in the first place.
I'm like you Tom,have been using Lee stuff as well for about 20 years(not as long as you)and have had no real problems with their stuff,until now.
Cheers mate
Dale
no34570:drinks:

grumpy one
07-14-2006, 06:49 PM
Hi guys
Just did some casting and no good,well under the expected .432 (.4288-.4295) what a royal pain in the butt.
I might have to go to the local tip and see if I can resurrect the Lee box that the mould came in and just tape it up.
Do I send just the mould guys or the handles as well?Should I send it to Lee or to Jeff223,I don't know what the procedure will be for me sending it back from here in Australia,don't know if I have to contact Aussie Customs or what?,any ideas?

Dale
no34570

A bullet mould is not a restricted or controlled item even to import into Australia, let alone export, so Australian customs is not involved. Of course you will have to deal with Australia Post (the post office) and they will comply with US requirements. That means you have to package it securely, identify yourself at the post office (driver's licence is fine), and attach a customs declaration, which the Post people will give you. They may ask you what the item is. I'd suggest you put something like "metal casting mould" on the declaration, which is what a business would put on that item if they were exporting it. Personally I don't care for the idea of short-circuiting international security arrangements with vague statements such as "tool"; I want the security system to work, and it is only going to do that if we give it a fair chance of working. However that is just a quirk of mine.

Geoff

no34570
07-14-2006, 07:04 PM
A bullet mould is not a restricted or controlled item even to import into Australia, let alone export, so Australian customs is not involved. Of course you will have to deal with Australia Post (the post office) and they will comply with US requirements. That means you have to package it securely, identify yourself at the post office (driver's licence is fine), and attach a customs declaration, which the Post people will give you. They may ask you what the item is. I'd suggest you put something like "metal casting mould" on the declaration, which is what a business would put on that item if they were exporting it. Personally I don't care for the idea of short-circuiting international security arrangements with vague statements such as "tool"; I want the security system to work, and it is only going to do that if we give it a fair chance of working. However that is just a quirk of mine.

Geoff
Geoff
Thanks for the the info mate,will go to the local post outlet near work,it's very small outlet(Small bush town)hope they have a customs declaration form there and send the mould to Lee,waiting to hear from Jeff223 as I PM him and see if I should send it to Lee or him,but I think Lee would be quicker and easier.
Will contact Lee and complain and ask if I send it straight to them.
Cheers mate
no34570
Dale:)

Nrut
07-14-2006, 07:13 PM
This is kind of amusing....the fellows in Australia and Sweden have received their molds but just returning from the post ofc. I see no mold...... Canadian customs must still be fondling it....

steveb
07-14-2006, 11:09 PM
i just talked to Pat on my cell phone and he said they would take care of this for us.send your molds back to LEE if you want and print ATT:PAT on the package

molds comming from outside the US should be shipped back too if they dont work out for you.you will end up with some extra shipping costs to get your mold to them but i think it will be worth it in the end

GOOD LUCK everyone and have a good day

Jeff, this was actually my first group buy I got into and you guys know way more about these group buys than I do. But it sounds like to me from Old Fellers sticky we should bypass Pat completely and talk to Doug in the mold room instead.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=3172&page=3

steveb
07-15-2006, 11:06 AM
I just stuck the mould in the mail and its on its way back to lee with a letter and picture of the design along with a sample of the undersized bullet. Again thanks Jeff for your efforts on honchoing this group buy. Its appreciated.:)

PatMarlin
07-15-2006, 11:18 AM
Maybe for group mold deals the honcho could hold off on sending molds to buyers overseas until they were all here and tested for accuracy.

THat way those guys wouldn't have to pay the rediculous return fees. Be a longer wait though, but that's what y'all get for livin out of the USA.. :mrgreen: :drinks:

Junior1942
07-15-2006, 11:24 AM
Mine is perfect for my 44 mag SBH. Using pure lead alloy, here's my results from this morning's casting session:

Average weight = 279.4 grs

Front band diameter = ~.429 - .430"

Rear band diameter = ~.431 - .432"

Average length = ~.074"

As my SBH's barrel is .429" and the throats are .430", it looks like my mold is a winner!

This bullet in pure lead alloy and @ ~1200 fps from my SBH will make a great 50 yard deer and hog round.

steveb
07-15-2006, 01:13 PM
Mine is perfect for my 44 mag SBH. Using pure lead alloy, here's my results from this morning's casting session:

Average weight = 279.4 grs

Front band diameter = ~.429 - .430"

Rear band diameter = ~.431 - .432"

Average length = ~.074"

As my SBH's barrel is .429" and the throats are .430", it looks like my mold is a winner!

This bullet in pure lead alloy and @ ~1200 fps from my SBH will make a great 50 yard deer and hog round.

Glad to hear you can use your mold Junior. Congrats. Be sure to post some picts of that dead hog!:drinks:

Ranch Dog
07-15-2006, 01:42 PM
Lee had sent me an approval drawing for the TLC460-425-RF buy via email and with my acceptance and reply I mentioned the problems with this mold. I received a very positive response and feel that Lee will take care of the problem.

felix
07-15-2006, 03:21 PM
ALL molds should be tested before being sent out! ... felix

Nrut
07-15-2006, 03:50 PM
I hope Pat has been informed that these returns will be coming from far and wide....as I stated above mine has'nt even showed up yet...........

Newtire
07-15-2006, 04:03 PM
Mine hasn't shown up yet either. I don't see anyone in Calif that has theirs. Will try mine out for sure before sending back.

Junior1942
07-15-2006, 04:34 PM
About 1/2 of the bullets from my mold are .006" to .008" out of round. Yes, the mold halves were closed. Mine's going back, too. I suspect they had a new guy on the lathe.

357maximum
07-15-2006, 11:40 PM
"I suspect they had a new guy on the lathe"

Either that or they were cut just before or just after the long holiday weekend of the fourth....or on a monday or a friday, or by someone who simply did not give a flying four letter word. What these molds are casting from the results I have seen are apalling, as well as unexcusable, I hope this is not a sign of things to come with other mold buys. I am going to really scrutinize the 358-180 molds when they arrive here, before I send them out.. if there is any trouble I will report it to the buyers, and if consensus says they will all go back as one unit, hopefully I am preparing myself for something thet will not be, but you never know...shtuff like this could cost lee a ton of business, but maybe they do not need our business...I really feel for Jeff, as I know how I would feel in his situation, it is just bad all around. Lee Precision, that is starting to look like an oxymoron, as this is not the first time they have not given a rats ass about the customer....I was really looking forward to mooching some of them boolits from Jeffs mold dammit...I just hope that they are willing to fix all of them, sure seems like it would be cheaper to do it right the first time, but what in the hell do I know about how to run a business..? I am still one who believes that if you sell a great product and care about the customer things will work out, Yeah I am that ignorant...The rules of commerce have apparently changed from when I learned them in school, and it wasn't ALL that long ago, I guess even the laws of supply and demand have changed in the last 15 years or so...
Michael

Poohgyrr
07-16-2006, 11:19 AM
Mine hasn't shown up yet either. I don't see anyone in Calif that has theirs. Will try mine out for sure before sending back.

Not here yet either. The undersize problem might work for my 44-40 based .44 Special EMF M92. One step at a time I guess. I have to wait on that EMF .44 Magnum anyway, but I still want the mold.

Waiting in a big way to see if I can get a crimp, OAL, powder combo with this mold that will give me something fun out of the M92.....

Junior1942
07-16-2006, 01:40 PM
About 1/2 of the bullets from my mold are .006" to .008" out of round. Yes, the mold halves were closed. Mine's going back, too. I suspect they had a new guy on the lathe.The mold halves were not closed. This morning I looked with a better light behind the seam, and sure enough . . . little chunks of lead were holding the nose ends apart. My apology to the guy on the lathe. . . .

krag35
07-16-2006, 07:01 PM
I got my mold yesterday, and got to cast about a hundred today. I picked 6 at random and measured them, the bottom band is .432X.429 thru .429X.426, top band is .429X.427 thru .427X.426 and the body bands are .429>. I pushed some throught my Lee .430 sizer and the out of round really shows up. The body bands aren't even touched.

The nose is the same as the Lee 310-430-RF. I am not happy at all. My Winchester 444 only needs .430 but my Redhawk needs .432.

Any one have a sample complaint letter I could use? Mine would be anything but diplomatic at this point. I'll send it back and HOPE they get it right. I'm also including a couple of the original 2 cavity Ranch Dog bullets so they can see what they are supposed to look like when done.

I'm in on 2 other group buys right now, and hope to have better luck with them.

krag35

waksupi
07-16-2006, 07:21 PM
Want to make a complaint letter? Try this. Gobeldygook and confusion at your fingertips.

http://www.pakin.org/complaint/

If you don't like the first one, click on the back button, and have it do another one. I've had lots of fun with this, over the years.

Poohgyrr
07-16-2006, 07:42 PM
:drinks:

I don't think I'll use this complaint letter thingy with Lee, but it is too good not to be used somewhere!!!

:coffee:

rugerman1
07-16-2006, 09:08 PM
Want to make a complaint letter? Try this. Gobeldygook and confusion at your fingertips.

http://www.pakin.org/complaint/

If you don't like the first one, click on the back button, and have it do another one. I've had lots of fun with this, over the years.
:mrgreen:

My complaint about Lee Reloading

When assessing Lee Reloading's whinges, one need not resort to vicious name-calling or opprobrious epithets. One need only present the facts. To organize my discussion, I suggest that we take one step back in the causal chain and view the realms of diabolism and academicism not as two opposing poles, but as two continua.

If you ever ask Lee Reloading to do something, you can bet that your request will get lost in the shuffle, unaddressed, ignored, and rebuffed. If Lee Reloading wants to complain, it should have an argument. It shouldn't just throw out the word "antiprestidigitation", for example, and expect us to be scared. It is painful to write such truisms, but Lee Reloading's a psychologically defective organization. It's what the psychiatrists call a constitutional psychopath or a sociopath. When a friend wants to drive inebriated, you try to stop him. Well, Lee Reloading is drunk with power, which is why we must provide a positive, confident, and assertive vision of humanity's future and our role in it.

Lee Reloading's votaries are not, technically, oppressive hoodlums, but rather clumsy stool pigeons. I, not being one of the many insipid hellions of this world, suspect that there is a small -- yet not entirely insignificant -- difference. The first lies that Lee Reloading told us were relatively benign. Still, they have been progressing. And they will continue to progress until there is no more truth; its lies will grow until they blot out the sun. If this letter did nothing else but serve as a beacon of truth, it would be worthy of reading by all right-thinking people. However, this letter's role is much greater than just to reveal the truth about Lee Reloading's declamations. I would like to go on, but I do have to keep this letter short. So I'll wrap it up by saying that Lee Reloading's spokesmen explain everything through the lens of Lee Reloading's cuckoo and ideologically loaded asseverations.

Ranch Dog
07-17-2006, 06:54 AM
Huh??

rugerman1
07-17-2006, 08:55 AM
Huh??
I used the link that Ric posted.[smilie=l:

k8bor
07-17-2006, 11:10 AM
Same thing as the rest of you. At least the problem seems to be universal throughout all the moulds. .428-.430 the largest dia. outside of the rear band with the right alloy mix. It goes back tomorrow. Thanks for the order #.
Dave

jeff223
07-17-2006, 03:00 PM
this will be interesting to see how long it takes to have this mold thing corrected by Lee Precision.i made up my mind about the fat 44 deal i ran.when i get the molds back i will cast a few,then measure them and if they are A-OK i will ship them out to their new homes.i am expecting to get those molds somtime soon

glad to see you guys are sending the molds back

405 WCF
07-17-2006, 03:22 PM
My plans for this autumn was to hunt moose with the new Ranch Dog bullet, but I dont think that I will recive a new mold that drop bullets of the right size before the hunt starts.:( :( :(
It seems like it has to be my old 350 grs bullets that have to do the job this autumn to.
But they arent bad either.

I will go to the postoffice tomorrow and send my molds away!

Bigscot
07-17-2006, 07:23 PM
I called Lee today and spoke to Pat. I told him who I was and why I was calling. He was pleasant and said to send it to his attention.
I asked how long it would take to turn them around I had planned on hunting with this boolit this year. He said they would be returned in time for hunting season as this was a repair. I hope that is true.

Jeff, I would just like to thankyou for handling this headache and providing all the information we need to get this buy corrected.

Bigscot

ironduke2
07-17-2006, 10:39 PM
I got my mold today. I am not even going to cast anything with it,just going to send it back. Does anyone have a phone number for Lee Reloading? Jeff thanks for all you have done. Bob:castmine:

azshootercastlead
07-17-2006, 10:58 PM
Ranch Dog

Would it be worthwhile to check in with Lee on our outstanding 350 Gr buy and verify that they are doing the necessary quality assurance?

AZ

steveb
07-17-2006, 11:10 PM
I called Lee today and spoke to Pat. I told him who I was and why I was calling. He was pleasant and said to send it to his attention.
I asked how long it would take to turn them around I had planned on hunting with this boolit this year. He said they would be returned in time for hunting season as this was a repair. I hope that is true.

Jeff, I would just like to thankyou for handling this headache and providing all the information we need to get this buy corrected.

Bigscot

Even though this is being treated as a repair surely they are going to cut them from new blocks wont they?? Sorry if the question seems silly but im completely ignorant when it comes to machining and such. Bigscott, I hope it is trues too!

Bigscot
07-18-2006, 08:02 AM
Steve,

I believe Pat said that they were going to cut them from new stock.

Bigscot

Newtire
07-18-2006, 08:25 AM
Mould got here yesterday. First thing I notice is that the meplat is too big. Going to send mine back along with the rest. Got no problems with Lee. If everytime we made a mistake someone busted our chops, most of us would be eating thru straws. I think it's a bummer but am glad they are taking care of things.

Ranch Dog
07-18-2006, 08:26 AM
Ranch Dog

Would it be worthwhile to check in with Lee on our outstanding 350 Gr buy and verify that they are doing the necessary quality assurance?

AZ

It's already been done.

jcork
07-18-2006, 07:43 PM
Mine went out in the mail today, unusued.

C A Plater
07-19-2006, 08:05 AM
Same for me. Can't cast anything anyway until I get a new house. Jeff did a great job and I'm sure Lee will fix their mistake.

Plainsman
07-21-2006, 04:57 PM
I shipped mine this afternoon new and unused...Maybe we'll have them in time for deer season yet! (Fingers crossed!)

Newtire
07-21-2006, 06:27 PM
Mine went out UPS this afternoon.

LET-CA
07-22-2006, 02:57 AM
Mine arrived yesterday, will go back tomorrow. Too bad this happened. I'm not worried about Lee making good on it. I figure they had a rookie on the lather.

Poohgyrr
07-22-2006, 04:05 AM
:(

Mine is home. I'm on the road and gone for a while. ......... But it will be fun later on...........

no34570
07-22-2006, 04:22 AM
You know I emailed Lee about the mould and told them it would have to come from Australia back to them and this is what they said to me:
Mr. Hodges,

We have heard from many voices the problem with this latest batch of custom bullet molds. As soon as we get a few back for evaluation we will be able to begin sending out replacements. Due to the distance involved we don't expect you to return yours, but we will need some proof of purchase if you don't return the mold to the factory for replacement.

So i contacted Jeff and he said he was going to send a copy of my order/receipt that I paid for the mould to Jeff and send it to Pat at Lee and hopefully this will be enough for Lee to send me out a new one,I hope so for it will save me over $20 or so to send it back to Lee.
If this happens,I'll be happy
Cheers
Dale
no34570

Ranch Dog
07-22-2006, 09:39 AM
That's outstanding and a good way to do business!

cast-n-blast
07-22-2006, 12:26 PM
How about this for a surprise! Sent my mold back to LEE on 07-15, USPS priority mail and received my new mold TODAY! 07-22. Fireing up the melting pot as we speak to give her a test run.
My enthusiasm is for naught, closer inspection of the mold they sent back reveals that it is the same mold, UNTOUCHED ! Same nose profile, same dimensions, everything. I saved some of the original cast bullets and they are a perfect fit. I'm very disappointed in my trusty and faithfull LEE. A phone call will be made Mon. morning to PAT, wanting an explanation. Hope everyone else has better luck.

PatMarlin
07-22-2006, 12:53 PM
Are you saying maybe they think we're all a bunch of bumpkins'?.. :mrgreen:

Sounds like maybe a lazy employee trying to get over on everybody.. :roll: :twisted:

cast-n-blast
07-22-2006, 12:53 PM
Well, can you say eat crow, I sure can. Curiosity got the better of me, and I cast a few with the returned mold. Lo and behold, they're all dropping out at .433". Way to go LEE !!!!!!!!!!!! Guess they were able to wallow out the cavities some how. Any way I'm glad to see LEE stand by its products, even if it cost me to eat a size 12 foot sandwich. One week turnaround, not bad. Hope everyone else gets theirs just as quick!!

PatMarlin
07-22-2006, 12:56 PM
Oh- you didn't cast first to see... want some catsup?.. :mrgreen:..LOL!!

cast-n-blast
07-22-2006, 01:50 PM
Actually, my condiment of choice would be Texas Pete tobascey sauce ! ;) I'm just glad things worked out for the better. Already cast a few hundred, and they are FINE looking bullets ! Can't waite to try tumble lube bullets. My bullets cast of straight WW weigh 281 grs w/ check, and as I mentioned are dropping out at .433". Should shoot like gangbusters.

405 WCF
07-22-2006, 02:02 PM
////So i contacted Jeff and he said he was going to send a copy of my order/receipt that I paid for the mould to Jeff and send it to Pat at Lee and hopefully this will be enough for Lee to send me out a new one,I hope so for it will save me over $20 or so to send it back to Lee.
Cheers
Dale
no34570////

Maby I dont need to send our 2 molds back from Sweden either?

//Olle

jeff223
07-22-2006, 07:35 PM
i got my mold back today too and it is the same mold i sent to them.

i also cast a few boolits up and mine measured in at .432 to .433 depending on where you measured the boolit.when i sent my mold in i also sent in a spec sheet along with a boolit that RANCH DOG sent me.these are not the same boolits as the ones that RANCH DOG sent me and they are way out of spec from that sheet.these may work out for you guys and they may work for me but they are not the boolits we wanted.RANCH DOGS boolits are alittle shorter and they have a smaller meplat.i guess this isnt a big deal but this tells you something about Lee Precision.they will not stand behind their screw up and they are unwilling to make this right.they are hoping by making the mold drop a boolit that measures out at .432 or .433 we will be happy.

i sure hope these boolits work out for you guys.if they dont for me i will have a mold up for sale

i am also thinking about stopping my newest GROUP BUY on the plain base 357 3 crimp grove mold.why take the chance with these clowns again?i will decide what im going to do in the next few days about this.any payments that have been sent to me will be returned

you thoughts about this GROUP BUY thing with Lee

no34570
07-22-2006, 07:57 PM
Bugger
I hope they don't send me the same mould like I have here,useless it means that would be two worthless moulds,make a dandy paperweight though.
I hope they fix them properly or make new one's according to the original specs that Jeff sent to them,what are they thinking?
no34570

no34570
07-22-2006, 08:02 PM
////So i contacted Jeff and he said he was going to send a copy of my order/receipt that I paid for the mould to Jeff and send it to Pat at Lee and hopefully this will be enough for Lee to send me out a new one,I hope so for it will save me over $20 or so to send it back to Lee.
Cheers
Dale
no34570////

Maby I dont need to send our 2 molds back from Sweden either?

//Olle
405WCF
Email Lee and see what they say,if they don't require you to send them back,then don't,why should you have to pay extra for their mistake and the moulds are'nt even the proper specifications as outlined in Ranchdogs drawings,one big stuff up.:roll:
Cheers:drinks:
Dale
no34570

Bigscot
07-23-2006, 12:48 AM
I think this stinks to high heaven thatLee cannot produce a mould to the specs on the drawing. If they take the money, they should make good on their end. It may turn out that even with the wider metplat and longer length its a shooter but it burns my a-- that we may be settling for what they want to produce (or modify as it sounds but when I talked to Pat they were going to produce new moulds).
I will wait to see how mine turns out when returned and how they shoot from those who have already received the "repaired" ones to decided if I want to press the issue more with them. A company like Lee ought to be able to follow a drawing.

Bigscot

felix
07-23-2006, 01:26 AM
I think LEE plugs into their tooling program the figures that program only accepts, and all other drawing dimensions are ignored by necessity. Thus a boolit is generated which is not up to par. I've been there, and done that for the programs I wrote, but only have done so after permission from the requestor/customer. It boils down to clock time saved versus most accurate answers. Just depends on the three proverbial parameters: time, money, quality; you can have any two, but not three. Remember, the cost per mold is not that significant when compared to other custom mold makers. How many of us would pay 200 bucks for a six banger? ... felix

LET-CA
07-23-2006, 01:56 AM
They've made this mould before for Michael, so it's not that they can't do it. If it's not the mould we ordered, we shouldn't feel obligated to accept it. Rather than complain here, just make a polite call to Lee and ask that they produce a mould based on the specification. I don't want a mould that's similar to what I ordered, I want the one I ordered. Part of the thing for me was getting the bullet that Michael designed, not Lee's modified version of that design.:confused:

Ranch Dog
07-23-2006, 09:11 AM
...your thoughts about this GROUP BUY thing with Lee

I want the original "Ranch Dog TLC432-285-RF".

I sent them a half dozen of the bullets cast from an original mold. They own the drawing, they can make the mold as specified.

steveb
07-23-2006, 10:33 AM
I got mine back from Lee and will cast some here in a few and let you guys know what they measure. It looks like the same sprue plate to me and not sure about the blocks?

cast-n-blast
07-23-2006, 11:30 AM
My returned blocks have a meplat of .350" instead of the .312" of the RD specs and overall length of .743" instead of the called for .735". It's not exactly the RD bullet, but a fine looking bullet. As long as there is no problem cycling and chambering with this blunter bullet, and it shoots well, I'm not going to worry about.

steveb
07-23-2006, 01:02 PM
I casted a hundred or so and measured some at random. They are all between ..432 and .433 depending on where measured. The meplat is the same as the first which is just fine by me as long as it feeds in my Rossi. Now just to get some loaded up now.

krag35
07-23-2006, 01:38 PM
I'm finally getting around to packing up my mold, and hope to get in the mail on Monday. From the recent posts it don't look like I'll get a copy of The ranch dog mold, but will get something that will work (maybe)

I am real disappointed that Lee chose to increase the dia. of the molds rather than cut the design that was ordered. That's not customer service, nor is it good business.

krag35

lar45
07-23-2006, 02:45 PM
I did a few group buys back when I had enough time to do so.
We discussed the bullet, posted some drawings with specs, discussed some more and revised the bullet. Posted picture with specs. Then decided on one and sent it in.
When I got the molds here, I pulled a mold at random and cast some, then posted the results. The Fat 30 came in too skinny. I posted this for a decision. Half took them as is, the rest went back to be made bigger.

This forum is supposed to be about the free exchange of ideas and information.
This business about "I've got a secret" with no dimensions on bullet drawings is starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth. Is this someones personal mold making business? Or is this a group of people who share the common interest of casting bullets and...?
There are many people here who can run autocad, and many people who know a great deal of what it takes to make a cast bullet shoot. -Not just one individual person-
People have e-mailed me to ask permission to do another run of the bullets that I drew up. My responce is that the design is the collective property of the cast bullet community and sent autocad files and drawings to anyone who wanted.
Remember, it's a group here.

waksupi
07-23-2006, 04:17 PM
Well, if they keep screwing up, all we need is a lawyer, for a class action suit. They are representing they can do a job, and have been failing at every turn.
I recieved notice last week I was to recieve compensation, due to a class action suit, from a company who was screwing over the customers. I had quit dealing with them because of it. Someone finally got pissed, and now they are paying back.
We are probably a bit crazy, too. An indication of insanity, is when someone keeps doing the same thing over and over, expecting the results to change.
Maybe Lee needs a kick in the nuts, too.
Suppose that company in Australia would be interested in the group buy concept, or some other source?

steveb
07-23-2006, 05:24 PM
We discussed the bullet, posted some drawings with specs, discussed some more and revised the bullet. Posted picture with specs. Then decided on one and sent it in.
When I got the molds here, I pulled a mold at random and cast some, then posted the results. The Fat 30 came in too skinny. I posted this for a decision. Half took them as is, the rest went back to be made bigger.

This business about "I've got a secret" with no dimensions on bullet drawings is starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth. Is this someones personal mold making business? Or is this a group of people who share the common interest of casting bullets and...?
There are many people here who can run autocad, and many people who know a great deal of what it takes to make a cast bullet shoot. -Not just one individual person-
People have e-mailed me to ask permission to do another run of the bullets that I drew up. My responce is that the design is the collective property of the cast bullet community and sent autocad files and drawings to anyone who wanted.

Hats off to you Lar45:drinks:

Char-Gar
07-23-2006, 05:40 PM
Gulp! All of this doesn't help my anxiety as I await the shipment of the Fatter 30 molds in about a month. I will test one and if it is grossly out of spec, I will send t he whole batch back.

I guess the question is what is grossly out of spec. When I did 311407 Mod, we got molds that cast .001 under spec with wheelweight. I cast mine from No. 2 and got spec. But even .001 under, the bullets was very useful and everybody seems to have gotton good results and good value for their dollar.

Knowing Lee's penchant for sending undersize molds, we sent the specs for Fatter 30 .001 in all areas larger than what we really want. The notion being if Lee send the bullets .001 under, we will have what we want. If they send the bullets .002 to .003 under spec, we will have the original Fat 30 specs and that is where all of this started and most folks will have a good useful mold.

IIRC the original Fat 30 was delivered casting small as usual.

The stuff of trying to outfox Lee gets to be very burdensome..but while money is dear, what we are paying is really cheap for a custom six banger and what can you expect for what we pay. We can't expect Rolls Royce quality for Ford prices.

lar45
07-24-2006, 02:57 AM
The stuff of trying to outfox Lee gets to be very burdensome..but while money is dear, what we are paying is really cheap for a custom six banger and what can you expect for what we pay. We can't expect Rolls Royce quality for Ford prices.
Exactly, where else could we go to get a custom 6 cavity mold for $56?

If we have the information of what was sent to Lee and what we got back, then we could learn from it and adjust what we send to LEE.

My not-Fat30 shoots pretty good in my 06. I hope your Fatter 30 will come out okay and be good in the Mosins and 303s.

Bass Ackward
07-24-2006, 06:55 AM
If we have the information of what was sent to Lee and what we got back, then we could learn from it and adjust what we send to LEE.

I think you guys are missing the point. If Lee was able to create a bullet design once that came out successful for someone, then it should be capable of repeating those same specs.

Therefore, any deviation from the drawing is either a lack of attention to detail or a bad tool or both. Except for diameter, how does one .... guess which error is going to be experienced on the next project and fudge around it? I mean this was a pretty basic design was it not?

So this really speaks to the importance that Lee puts on this service. The subliminal message is really telling you to buy what they offer or simply make do.

45 2.1
07-24-2006, 08:19 AM
Exactly, where else could we go to get a custom 6 cavity mold for $56? Nowhere, that's why we are still messing around with LEE and their policy problems.

If we have the information of what was sent to Lee and what we got back, then we could learn from it and adjust what we send to LEE. Been there and done that numerous times. Chargar knows much more about it than you do. Listen to what he said or try it yourself a few more times.

My not-Fat30 shoots pretty good in my 06. I hope your Fatter 30 will come out okay and be good in the Mosins and 303s. Thats what we hope for also, maybe we out guessed them this time.

You have a PM about your previous post, one you won't like chewing on.

steveb
07-24-2006, 10:44 AM
Part of me just wants to keep the mould IF it feeds in my Rossi and the other part wants to tell lee to stick it in their ass and I want the design I ordered. I believe they just recut the blocks to fix diameter issues.

45 2.1
07-24-2006, 11:01 AM
Well, if they keep screwing up, all we need is a lawyer, for a class action suit. They are representing they can do a job, and have been failing at every turn.

This is the only thing that will get their attention, BUT would probably get them out of the custom cut business also. Without a backup source, we would probably cut our own throats and raise prices a lot.

So this really speaks to the importance that Lee puts on this service. The subliminal message is really telling you to buy what they offer or simply make do.

True, what they really want is all your money with no negative feedback whatsoever.

jeff223
07-24-2006, 11:56 AM
i guess when you get down to it lee puts a good product on the market for the dollar spent.you get a 6 banger mold for 50 bones andif it doesnt make the size boolit you wanted they hog it out so it will.not a bad deal after all.it does make me wonder what went wrong on this Ranch Dog boolit mold?why was it differant than the one they made before?i guess i will never know

i have decided to let the 357 group buy run as planned.50 bones for a custom 6 banger aint that bad

45 2.1
07-24-2006, 12:21 PM
Just putting up with LEEs screwsups will not solve the problem. What we need is another producer. Making molds is not that hard once you solve the cut to as cast shrinkage factor. I am working on a fellow to make GB custom molds. His idea is to make 3 cavity molds. At this time, it is too early for us to "bug" him about it, but when he gets up to speed, MAYBE.

Dutch4122
07-24-2006, 01:14 PM
.............I seem to remember an idea proposed by somebody (maybe it was Willbird???????) where we would have the cherries made by NEI; and then have the molds cut on Lee six cavity blocks that were orignally cut for smaller designs. Each member of the Group Buy would pay his share of the cost to have the cherry made by NEI. Sort of a buy yourself a .32 SWC Lee six cavity and send it to a member with the skills to cut the molds. Maybe this would work for anything larger than .30 caliber????????

Just thinking out loud here and if I'm off base than feel free to correct me.

BTW, a three cavity mold that casts what we want sounds like a winner to me as well!

PatMarlin
07-24-2006, 01:30 PM
Starmetal Joe.

He's your mold man. Let's just send him to school for complete training, and then lock him in a workshop for making cast boolit molds.. :mrgreen:

StarMetal
07-24-2006, 01:32 PM
I'm locked up in the Tractor Shop right now. I even got a new M1 Carbine to play with and really haven't done a thing with it yet.

Joe

45 2.1
07-24-2006, 01:33 PM
.............I seem to remember an idea proposed by somebody (maybe it was Willbird???????) where we would have the cherries made by NEI; and then have the molds cut on Lee six cavity blocks that were orignally cut for smaller designs. Each member of the Group Buy would pay his share of the cost to have the cherry made by NEI. Sort of a buy yourself a .32 SWC Lee six cavity and send it to a member with the skills to cut the molds. Maybe this would work for anything larger than .30 caliber????????

Just thinking out loud here and if I'm off base than feel free to correct me.

BTW, a three cavity mold that casts what we want sounds like a winner to me as well!

Anyone know what uncut six cavity blocks would run from LEE for LARGE quantities?

Ranch Dog
07-24-2006, 01:53 PM

Not sure where this is coming from... Jeff posted the mold drawings, you make your choice when you send your check. I've posted my drawings...

I've honcho'd my last group buy when the two outstanding buys hit the ranch and are outbound.

Dutch4122
07-24-2006, 05:21 PM
Anyone know what uncut six cavity blocks would run from LEE for LARGE quantities?

Do they even sell blank six cavity mold blocks? My bet is unfortunately that they would not; probably because of the simple view that we would become a competitor if we had any success with the project.

Would it be possible to take an existing Lee 6 cavity set of mold blocks, such as for the .311-93-RN and recut over the existing cavities with the custom made cherry? I've heard of it being done with single cavity iron molds, but will it work with a six cavity aluminum set of blocks?

cast-n-blast
07-24-2006, 08:10 PM
Well, finally got the chance to seat the MODIFIED RD bullet, and it cycles and chambers like a champ. Just need some spare time to see how she shoots. Keeping my fingers crossed.

steveb
07-25-2006, 12:04 AM
Finally got some of these TLC432-285-RF loaded up but darn near every one shaved some lead while seating the check.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/steveb3006/checkshaving.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/steveb3006/pileOTLC432-285-RF.jpg
Anyone else having this problem?? where the check is seated at the base of the bullet measures .408 I havent got a chance to shoot any yet but with the alox and check they are weighing right at 282 grains and I'm using WC820(n) with a starting load of 17.0 grains. Cant wait to try it out and see how this Rossi and bullet comination does.

357maximum
07-25-2006, 01:58 AM
I have asked once already, but if anyone decides they do not want what they get from lee in either round of boxing let me know, I will buy it from you and erase your sorrows.

Michael

EDIT> I am going to go another way, me thinks

If you have one to get rid of see Matts' post below...

Dutch4122
07-25-2006, 08:27 AM
I would also take one of these that have come back from Lee after the re-cut. A diameter of .432" to .433" should work fine in my .44 Magnum and .444 Marlin carbines. Anybody who has one just send me a PM.

Ranch Dog
07-25-2006, 11:05 AM
...where the check is seated at the base of the bullet measures .408"...

The drawing calls for the shank to be .400", .408" is going to make the gas checks tough to seat square. I notice that your checks are fresh from the box... annealing them might help get them on a bit smoother. It has and hasn't worked for me on other bullets in the past.

I would love to hear from Lee why this bullet isn't per the TLC432-285-RF drawing. Personally, I'm not interested in starting over with the load development after shooting about 5000 of these downrange. The WFN vs. the RF nose is going to offer different flight characteristics... it will be great for game I'm sure but I'm not starting over. After all this shooting, I send this bullet out the barrel like you throw a baseball... I know where it's going to hit.

Nrut
07-25-2006, 11:21 AM
Not sure where this is coming from... Jeff posted the mold drawings, you make your choice when you send your check. I've posted my drawings...

I've honcho'd my last group buy when the two outstanding buys hit the ranch and are outbound.
RanchDog .....thanks for bringing your bullet design to this site and for being a GB honhco ...I like the idea of a gas checked tumble lubed bullet....when you start working with your .375 bullet please post your results...I'm going the need a mold in .366 and .413 once Dan at Mt. Molds starts up again......I can see why you would'nt want to be a honhco in the future.....

405 WCF
07-25-2006, 11:42 AM
I sent a mail to Lee some days ago, and still no answer.
I like to know if I must spend money and send the molds back, or if I just can sit here and get new molds per post.
To small bullets and to big meplat, not what I payed for, so I really hope that Lee will fix it.

steveb
07-25-2006, 11:45 PM
Is anyone else having problems seating checks with this bullet? Or am I the only one? If after I anneal the checks like Ranch Dog suggested to see if that helps with seating and that doesnt work I will probably get on the horn back to lee and have them make it right and AGAIN send back the specs that ranch dog posted. I havent got a chance to shoot these yet but they do feed flawlessly in my Rossi.

405 WCF
07-26-2006, 05:42 AM
This morning I recived an e-mail from Lee.
They said if I e-mail them a picture of the molds or a copy of the receipt, they should make new molds for me.
That was nice!
My hat of for Lee!!!

//Olle

Bigscot
07-26-2006, 11:07 AM
I just got off the phone with Pat at Lee. I told him that some folks had already received their moulds back and mentioned that nose was still not like the drawing and the length was too long and the gas check shank was too big.
Pat said that he was not aware of any moulds being re-worked and sent out. He said that re-cutting the mould larger would be more difficult than cutting a new one. He then went on the internet to this forum and I directed to this thread and checked out the last page with. I suggested that he might want read through this and he said he would. He is also going to see what is/has happened with the returned moulds.

Bigscot

PatMarlin
07-26-2006, 11:22 AM
Well, well...

There are many threads Pat should read concerning custom mold matters. Here's a doosey for example:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=8291&page=3

.......:mrgreen:

Char-Gar
07-26-2006, 11:24 AM
I don't have one of these molds and was not a part of this group buy, however the majority of molds i own (which is in the hundreds) from about every maker on earth, require me to expand the check a mite to avoid shaving lead. I now just consider this a part of the process.

Annealing the checks makes everything easier.

I would not understand a slightly oversize gas check shank as a special concern. Just my opinion.

steveb
07-26-2006, 11:31 AM
I don't have one of these molds and was not a part of this group buy, however the majority of molds i own (which is in the hundreds) from about every maker on earth, require me to expand the check a mite to avoid shaving lead. I now just consider this a part of the process.

I would not understand a slightly oversize gas check shank as a special concern. Just my opinion.

Thanks for the response Charger. What do you use to expand the checks to make the process faster? I measured the gas check shank again and at the very base of the bullet it measures .403 then tapers up to .408

jeff223
07-26-2006, 11:57 AM
***UPDATED INFO***

i just talked to Pat at Lee and he said he was going to run the Ranch Dog molds again.i am going to send the postal receipt to him so the guys in Sweden and Austraila are covered.Olle in Sweden has emailed a picture of his molds to them and maybe Dale from down under can do the same,if not its no big deal.the postal receipt i have is good enough for Pat to cover this for the guys in Sweden and Austraila

it sure sounds like this deal is going to be taken care of for us and Pat is a very nice guy to talk to on the phone.

anyone that has any questions about this please post them here or PM me

thanks,
jeff

Poohgyrr
07-26-2006, 01:21 PM
Great, so is he re doing the entire order for all of us? I just returned home from being on the road & haven't cast any yet, but it seems there are some basic mistakes with the molds that were made for us....

I've been using Lee presses, scales, that hand primer they make, and powder measures for years without any complaints at all.........

Bigscot
07-26-2006, 02:30 PM
"Great, so is he re doing the entire order for all of us?"

When I talked to Pat, that was the impression I got and they were going to be expedited so we could have them before hunting season. When talking to Pat, he was very pleasant and seemed sincere about getting this issue resolved for us.

Bigscot

cast-n-blast
07-26-2006, 04:30 PM
Steveb, use a ball bearing of proper size, lay it in the GC and give it a good smack with a hammer, instant flair !

Char-Gar
07-26-2006, 04:45 PM
lots of us expand gas checks and each seems to find a way to do it with what is handy. The ball bearing idea suonds as good as any. I use the expanding plug from a 32 cal Lyman M die. I lay the anealed check on top of a little three pound anvil and tap the expanding plug with a rawhide mallet. Works fine.

I bought a rawhide mallet from Brownells in 1966 and it is still as good as new. I don't see how a gun tinkerer could do without one.

Bigscot
07-26-2006, 07:16 PM
When I talked to Pat today I mentioned the problem with the gc shanks being too large he said that if the mould was not completely closed for some reason, the shank would be larger and the opening would not have to be large enough to cause fining. I don't know it that may be the case but thought I would share it.

Bigscot

David R
07-26-2006, 07:31 PM
Bigscott,

Hold the blocks closed up to a light and look through the parting line. You should not be able to see light at all. If you can't then they are closing properly.

David

jeff223
07-26-2006, 09:30 PM
guys i guess i dont know if Lee is going to replace all the molds or just the ones that have been sent in.i was the first one to send a mold back to them.Pat told me he has received 13 or 14 molds so far so i wouldnt really expect to see him replace all 36 molds unless he receives 36 molds.like i said before he is going to replace the two in Sweden and the one in Austraila without having those molds sent back because of the shipping costs for those guys

if you are not happy with your new Ranch Dog mold send it back to Lee Precision or call Pat on the phone for more details on this matter

good luck everyone

jcork
07-26-2006, 09:46 PM
I got mine back today; they are certainly prompt.

Ranch Dog
07-26-2006, 09:54 PM
I got my mold back today. I'm pretty sure it's the one I sent in. I suspect it casts a larger diameter bullet but the nose and length are still unchanged. I appreciate Pat taking a look at the thread and I guess I'm supposed to send it back. I tell you fellows, I like a lot of you have a long history of satisfaction with Lee products and this doesn't change my preference for their products in the least.

I was sitting at my bench, staring at this mold after only 4 hours of sleep and realized I probably don't shoot well enough to see a difference anyway. Now, for a bit more postage it sounds like we will get the original, but I'm not going to get wrapped around the axle over this one way or the other.

Newtire
07-26-2006, 10:32 PM

Hi Chargar,
Maybe your moulds are mostly a bit oversized on the gascheck shank but only one of mine is like that. It is the group buy 311041. My moulds don't number in the hundreds but more like 53. That's enough! When they don't sit square, that is not doing much for accuracy.

Bigscot
07-26-2006, 10:33 PM
When I told Pat that some folks here had already received their moulds back he did not know why. He said the guy who would be working on them has been too busy to work on them right now and as I mentioned earlier, it would be harder to rework them than cut new ones. From what I read here and what Pat told me, things are not adding up.
Pat seemed suprised that anyone has received a mould back and that they were going to recut them new to specs on the drawing. I sent my mould in unused about a week ago and have not received anything back...yet. I just hope that this thing gets straightened out and we get a mould that will shoot.

Bigscot

steveb
07-26-2006, 10:59 PM
Steveb, use a ball bearing of proper size, lay it in the GC and give it a good smack with a hammer, instant flair !

Thanks for the info:)

steveb
07-27-2006, 12:58 PM
When I told Pat that some folks here had already received their moulds back he did not know why. He said the guy who would be working on them has been too busy to work on them right now and as I mentioned earlier, it would be harder to rework them than cut new ones. From what I read here and what Pat told me, things are not adding up.
Pat seemed suprised that anyone has received a mould back and that they were going to recut them new to specs on the drawing. I sent my mould in unused about a week ago and have not received anything back...yet. I just hope that this thing gets straightened out and we get a mould that will shoot.

Bigscot

It seems to me ole Pat is telling us what we want to hear. Just from the info I've gathered in the last few days over these group buys some of these guys that have dealt with Pat know how the guy is and has told us we will get nothing but the run around from him. It sounds like to me they know what they are talking about but hey, what do I know. That being said this is really the first problem I've had out of Lee and like and use the products. The Lee classic turrent press rock-n-rolls and I do like the Lee six cavity moulds.

EDIT: I talked to Pat on the phone as well and at first he told me all of the moulds have been recut and being sent out and that he would call me back after he got a mould in front of him with the specs. He calls me back and tells me oh thank you for calling us and bringing this to our attention and something about your correct the meplat IS to big and its good you called us so we can nip this in the butt. Then tells me the moulds will not be cut for a couple more weeks. This only confirms what I already think about Pat he's giving us the ole two step. Also he says im not closing the mould or lubing the sprue plate thats the culprit for the larger diameter gas check shank. I dont think so Pat.Just my 2 cents anyway.

jeff223
07-27-2006, 03:04 PM
i cast up some more boolits last night and i ran them through my .432 push through sizer.the gas checks went on straight with no lead shaving on the base like what was stated above.im planning on shooting some just to see if they would shoot as good as the ones i got from RANCH DOG.i hope my 445sm contender likes these boolits as much as the originals from Ranch Dog.time will tell about this

has anyone even shot any of these boolts yet from their first molds or from the mold they got back from Lee?i am kind of interested in knowing how they work out for you guys

no34570
07-27-2006, 04:11 PM
Did like jeff223 suggested and sent Lee a photo in an email attachment as well as Jeff sending the copy of the receipt his end.
Got an email back from Lee,before I sent the picture of the mould,this is what it said:
Mr. Hodges,

Mr. Bowne called today and told me he would send a copy of the receipts for custom bullet molds. When I get it I will send your replacement.

Now I'm assuming it will have to be a new mould to the proper specs i hope,but it is good that I do not have to re send my mould.
Cheers
Dale
no34570

no34570
07-27-2006, 04:17 PM
It seems to me ole Pat is telling us what we want to hear. Just from the info I've gathered in the last few days over these group buys some of these guys that have dealt with Pat know how the guy is and has told us we will get nothing but the run around from him. It sounds like to me they know what they are talking about but hey, what do I know. That being said this is really the first problem I've had out of Lee and like and use the products. The Lee classic turrent press rock-n-rolls and I do like the Lee six cavity moulds.

EDIT: I talked to Pat on the phone as well and at first he told me all of the moulds have been recut and being sent out and that he would call me back after he got a mould in front of him with the specs. He calls me back and tells me oh thank you for calling us and bringing this to our attention and something about your correct the meplat IS to big and its good you called us so we can nip this in the butt. Then tells me the moulds will not be cut for a couple more weeks. This only confirms what I already think about Pat he's giving us the ole two step. Also he says im not closing the mould or lubing the sprue plate thats the culprit for the larger diameter gas check shank. I dont think so Pat.Just my 2 cents anyway.

Going by Steveb's post,it sounds like that they are yanking our chains hoping we will get tired of all waiting and mistakes that they make,sounds like there is a lack of communication in Lee between the mould guy and management.
One post there,Lee said they will send out new one's to the one's that returned their moulds and then in the next breath people are getting their moulds back,don't figure??????
cheers
no34570.

Plainsman
07-27-2006, 08:13 PM
I just got mine back today...What is the status currently? Are these reworked molds? Are we getting newly cut molds? HELP!

jeff223
07-27-2006, 08:27 PM
when i talked to Pat the other day on the phone i took it we were getting new molds.i sent my mold in and they hogged out the holes and sent it back to me.i guess i dont know if im to send the mold back for replacement or just keep this one and wait for the replacement???

maybe someone else should call Pat up on the phone to find this out.i have enough $$ into the phone calls to Lee Precision

has anyone shot these boolits yet that came from the reworked molds?i plan on shooting some in the next few days.i know my custom buckshot pushthrough sizer die just hits the sides of these new boolits,they are just hitting spec but not the whole boolit.it would of been better if they were oversized abit.maybe these reworked molds will be just the ticket for some.i am sending a few out to 357max so he can shoot them out of his 444 Marlin.i hope someone else tries them and posts the results

steveb
07-27-2006, 08:49 PM
I have 50 loaded up and ready that I will shoot and chrony tomorrow. With my sizing die im not sizing them down, im just seating the checks. I will let you guys know tomorrow if its not pouring down rain again here...Steve

Bigscot
07-27-2006, 08:58 PM
Well I got home today and my mould had been returned. I never used the original and just sent it back. The returned mould looks just like the ones cast by SteveB. I don't know what is going on but I plan on calling Pat in the morning. There is no excuse for getting so many stories.

Bigscot

jcork
07-27-2006, 09:27 PM
i have enough $$ into the phone calls to Lee Precision

And I have spent enough on shipping the wrong mold.

Lee Precision has my address, and given that they have been referred to this thread, they know how to contact me if they lost my address.

It's an excellent opportunity for a manufacturer to impress potential long-term customers with their service. Or not. Time will tell.

steveb
07-27-2006, 09:59 PM
Well I got home today and my mould had been returned. I never used the original and just sent it back. The returned mould looks just like the ones cast by SteveB. I don't know what is going on but I plan on calling Pat in the morning. There is no excuse for getting so many stories.

Bigscot

Pat told me today that " well I really dont want you to have to send that mould back, but I will let you know when I call you back" He calls back and says" well I talked to the president(John) and we need that mould back" I would bet money he never talked to the pres. Part of his job is probably to save money they will want them moulds back so they can stick them on the reduced shelve. Guys, I hope I'm not coming off the wrong way here but its how I see it. Some folks here have gotten Lee six bangers and have been perfectly happy with them. I have a couple and like mine.

LET-CA
07-27-2006, 10:27 PM
Here's the text of the letter I wrote in sending back my mould.

Lee Precision, Inc.
4275 Highway U
Hartford, WI 53027

Subject: Warranty Claim

Dear Sirs,

I recently purchased this mould as part of a group buy of the TLC432-285-RF bullet design. The purchase was put together by Mr. Jeff Bowne of Ionia, Michigan. Unfortunately, the mould delivered is not the mould that was ordered. The original drawing came from Mr. Michael Reamy of Cuero, Texas and has been successfully built by your company in the past.

I am returning this mould and request that you prepare a new six-cavity mould cut to the TLC432-285-RF specification as per our order.

Please contact me at (916) 397-XXXX if you require any further information. I will happily pay the shipping costs for the correct mould once it’s prepared.

Thanks for taking care of this matter.

Regards,

I then attached an image of the drawing lest they have a hard time finding it . . . Hopefully I'll get the right mould back.

steveb
07-27-2006, 10:39 PM
And I have spent enough on shipping the wrong mold.

DITTO

Ranch Dog
07-28-2006, 11:17 AM
I know this is getting beat too death but here is a screen shot of my findings and letter back to Lee. I really want this made right as this is a terrific big game bullet. The dimensions are with 1 to 10 (tin/lead alloy) specified on the Lee worksheet.

steveb
07-28-2006, 12:54 PM
Guys its been pouring here all morning but the sun just came out and the winds have settled down. I will be back in a while with my findings:Fire:

steveb
07-28-2006, 02:19 PM
TA DA! Well here are the results using the Ranch Dog TLC432-285 in front of 17.0 grains of WC820(n) the AA#9 equivelent with my Rossi 92 you see in my avatar. The chrony results where all over the place from 1455 to 1900 FPS. I think I need a new battery as I tried it several times.AARRGG, oh well heres my target at 50 Yards with a dime for scale. I dropped these bullets using air cooled WW.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/steveb3006/TLC432-285-RF50yard.jpg

The bore on my Rossi 92 measures .432 and I had zero leading using the check and Liquid earwax( I mean alox). It has some pump to it I just wisjed I could tell you the actual velocities. I hope Indiana will let us use our leverguns in 07....Steve.

Bigscot
07-28-2006, 03:11 PM
SteveB

Good shoot'n. Did you load and shoot them one at a time or cycle them through the mag? I'm curious if they will cycle through my Win 94

Bigscot

steveb
07-28-2006, 04:03 PM
SteveB

Good shoot'n. Did you load and shoot them one at a time or cycle them through the mag? I'm curious if they will cycle through my Win 94

Bigscot

Bigscot, Thanks! I just loaded them all through the mag. They feed and cycle flawlessly in my Rossi. Hopefully Jeff will get with us on how his done.

steveb
07-28-2006, 04:08 PM
An update of the ongoing saga, I just got an email from Pat.

Steve,

I printed a copy of your letter and sent it over to the custom mold dept. You will get the replacement mold as soon as they make them.

I sent him a copy of my money order reciept I sent to Jeff and sent it to Lee along with another letter about the bullet being out of spec. We shall see.

Bigscot
07-28-2006, 04:49 PM
SteveB,

So are they going to send you another mould supposedly cut correctly in addition to the screwed up mould? Are you going to have to send the old back again?

Bigscot.

Plainsman
07-28-2006, 05:12 PM
I would think that Lee could at least ship us our NEW molds WITH a return shipping label for the OLD molds if they 'must' have them back!! I spent over $7 just shipping it the first time as I didn't want it getting 'lost in the mail!' I'd hate to see how much EXTRA Jeff has put out for this project as well! Actually, as a group, we should do something extra for him for his time and effort and the annoyance so far!!!

steveb
07-28-2006, 05:49 PM
SteveB,

So are they going to send you another mould supposedly cut correctly in addition to the screwed up mould? Are you going to have to send the old back again?

Bigscot.

Bigscot, when I talked to Pat yesterday he told me he really didnt want me to have to send the mould back in but he would call me back about it and plus he wanted to get a mould or the specs in front of him when he called back. He told me that he talked to the president (John Lee) and I would have to send the mold back in. Me personaly, I dont believe he talked to the president or anyone else for that matter (though I could be wrong). It states in Modern reloading that the moulds that are returned get throwed away as used mould cannot be sold (page 176 of Modern Reloading II edition toward bottom of page). I suspect it will go right on the reduced item shelf?? And then I get this email today

Steve,

I printed a copy of your letter and sent it over to the custom mold dept. You will get the replacement mold as soon as they make them.

So who knows, I sent them an email about the mould that I had gotten again was not to specs and sent them a copy of my money order reciept from the group buy for proof. I'm not sending mine in until my other one arrives IF it does. Ive already sent it in once.

Dr. A
07-28-2006, 06:08 PM
Got mine back seemingly untouched. I guess I'll try it out before I pronounce judgement. I couldn't chamber the first bullets like I did with my first mold from 2 years ago (lengthwise), so it is a bit of a dissapointment. Doesn't look like that's going to change. I'll keep a watch as to what to do. Amazing that Lee is just ignoring us on this. Unfortunately, I've got several other molds coming from them over on group buys. Hope they don't screw up all of those.

jcork
07-28-2006, 06:43 PM
And then I get this email today

I would be interesting in knowing the correct email address to contact Pat if that is something you feel comfortable sharing.

jeff223
07-28-2006, 07:36 PM
guys i am going to try some of the boolits tomorrow.i will post the results later on.if these boolits shoot good i may just end up keeping the mold.if they dont shoot my mold will be going back again so they can srew around with it again.when i sent my mold in the first time i sent these jokers a spec sheet and one of the right Ranch Dog boolits and one of the wrong boolits so Pat could eye ball them both.i am no expert at this but i could tell the differance right off.i guess i should of used crayon when i wrote the note so Pat could understand.

i find it funny that we spent $1800 on this deal and they screwed it up.last year i sent them over $1800 for the nice 357-180 boolit group buy and i also sent them some money for 13 molds from the fat 44 group buy.i am also running that 357 plain base group buy deal and i think that one will be taking off very soon once this BS is over.we arnt asking them to jump through hoops on this deal,we just want the right mold that produces the boolits we wanted.if we get the satisfaction we want out of this i will continue the 357plain base group buy.if not im calling it off and will be returing the payments to those who have ordered.

i have no idea as to Lee Precisions email address.i would just call Pat on the phone or maybe ask to speek to the man himself "Richard Lee"

i sent Pat the receipt today to help out the guys that live in Sweden and Austrailia.i havnt heard anything from those who bought molds that live in Canada.if they are having problems too i have the receipt for them too.it will be a big pain in the ass for them and their wonderful customs department dealing with this

any new info please post it here and thankyou everyone,
jeff

steveb
07-28-2006, 07:57 PM
I would be interesting in knowing the correct email address to contact Pat if that is something you feel comfortable sharing.

jcorck, I didnt think about this until you asked but when Pat contacted me it was from the info@leeprecision.com address. The same standard email address we all have to contact Lee as from the Lee site. If he has another email address for Lee I dont know it. As far as contacting Richard he's retired now. His son John is running the show.

Nrut
07-28-2006, 11:43 PM
Jeff... I believe it was last Friday I sent my mold back to Pat surface mail $9.95......I'm no hurry on this.... but would like RanchDogs original bullet......I included the drawing.....I don't plan on calling them as they seem to do what they want....Sure does'nt compute to me what the heck Lee is up to.....

jeff223
07-29-2006, 01:35 PM
i shot a few today out of my 445sm contender and you couldnt keep 5 shots on the paper at 100yds.the original RANCH DOGS would shoot 2 inch and alittle under at 100yds.maybe i need to work up a load for these??all i did was load then up with my best load for the other boolits.its hotter than hell here today so i didnt shoot long.i plan on shooting these boolits again and if no luck my molds going back again

Ranch Dog
07-29-2006, 02:15 PM
I suspect that it shot poorly because it is under-diameter. The only resistance the bullets I cast offered was that for seating the gas check when pushed through my Lee special order .432" sizing die.

Again... the bottomline is we didn't get what we ordered and Lee needs to make it right. It is like me calling up and ordering a C429-240-SWC mold and them sending me the 429-240-2R mold instead. It's close but close isn't good enough with this.

I can see some confusion on Lee's part with all these molds coming back in from all over the country (and world) but just to send them back isn't helping the matter either.

We will see what next week brings...

jeff223
07-29-2006, 07:39 PM
you got that right RANCH DOG,i was thinking the same thing.when i cast these new boolits i could get .432 in places but not all over the boolit.it would be alot better if they were to drop from the molds at .433 or even bigger so the .432 sizer could do its job.if a guy needed at .430 boolit these molds might be just what the doctor ordered but i need a .432 boolit like most of the rest of the guys.im sending my mold in once again and i hope they end up running the real RANCH DOG BOOLIT MOLD.

i guess i need to call and talk to Pat or one of his higher ups about this again.i will try to do that on Monday sometime.i have called then a number of times since i sent the order in way back when and i have sent my mold back too.i sure hope they will build the next batch of molds to spec so we can end up with what we ordered in the first place.who knows??maybe they wll do nothing more??

Plainsman
07-29-2006, 10:46 PM
The DESIGN is the ONLY reason I got in on this group buy in the first place! I missed out on the first group buy a couple of years ago due to a shortage of funds. This time around I had the cash and I believe it was almost DOUBLE the original buy of 2 cavity molds, so I was committed to getting a mold of this design. Since this mold ISN'T the design, I'm more than slightly frustrated, not to mention this is my first 'group buy' here. Therefore, it leaves a sour taste in my mouth for future group buys and future LEE product purchases if LEE doesn't get this straightened out for us.

Thanks for your continued efforts JEFF! I'll be phoning on Monday from work as well...Which reminds me to check on the number of minutes on my phone card for the call!!!

TTYL!

no34570
07-29-2006, 11:31 PM
The DESIGN is the ONLY reason I got in on this group buy in the first place! I missed out on the first group buy a couple of years ago due to a shortage of funds. This time around I had the cash and I believe it was almost DOUBLE the original buy of 2 cavity molds, so I was committed to getting a mold of this design. Since this mold ISN'T the design, I'm more than slightly frustrated, not to mention this is my first 'group buy' here. Therefore, it leaves a sour taste in my mouth for future group buys and future LEE product purchases if LEE doesn't get this straightened out for us.

Thanks for your continued efforts JEFF! I'll be phoning on Monday from work as well...Which reminds me to check on the number of minutes on my phone card for the call!!!

TTYL!
Hi Guy's
Like Plainsman,this is my first group buy,don't worry though this won't put me off on future buy's that might be of interest to me,but it is frustrating that Lee is side tracking the issue that they did not deliver the proper mould to all of us,did they even apologise about their mistake?.With all the running around that Jeff is doing,not to mention other people,in phone calls and the stress of it all,makes you wonder if Lee even listens to people.:???:
It does make you wonder if you should buy anymore Lee stuff,but then it is good gear they have and a good price for it,just the moulds made on that day are not what we ordered,way off.:confused:
just my thoughts
cheers:drinks:
Dale
no34570

C A Plater
07-29-2006, 11:31 PM
Got my replacement in today's mail. I did send a copy of the drawing in the letter and this is what I got back:
http://tcbunch.com/kiosk/ranchdog4.jpg
Apartment living prevents me from casting up a batch but I did measure the mold as best I could with my calipers. On the first one I measured a diameter of .432" this one is at least .438". The nose is not as small as the drawing but much closer coming in at .328". The real proof will be in the casting and see whether they will work in my little Marlin.

no34570
07-29-2006, 11:34 PM
Just a quick question
Some where on this thread it was said that we will get the new mould by hunting season?,when is that for you guys?
no34570

no34570
07-29-2006, 11:38 PM
C A Plater
That mould looks more closer to the Ranchdog Mould specs,looks nice too
Would be nice to see if Lee have got it right this time.
Cheers
no34570

steveb
07-30-2006, 12:24 AM
Hi Guy's
Like Plainsman,this is my first group buy,don't worry though this won't put me off on future buy's that might be of interest to me,but it is frustrating that Lee is side tracking the issue that they did not deliver the proper mould to all of us,did they even apologise about their mistake?.With all the running around that Jeff is doing,not to mention other people,in phone calls and the stress of it all,makes you wonder if Lee even listens to people.:???:
It does make you wonder if you should buy anymore Lee stuff,but then it is good gear they have and a good price for it,just the moulds made on that day are not what we ordered,way off.:confused:
just my thoughts
cheers:drinks:
Dale
no34570

Like others this was my very first group buy and I'm also im in on the C358-180-RF group buy which I cant wait to get. As stated before I like many Lee products and will continue using them. Ca Plater, is this the first replacement you have recieved? As you know some of us have already gotten a replacemnt but still not to spec. Just wondering if they are starting to send the second wave( and hopefully to correct spec) molds out.

I like the Lee 6 cavs for the price, and they drop a pile a bullets out right quick once the mold blocks are up to temp. Others that have been in on different group buys have been happy although this one has been quite the ride now hasnt it:roll:

jcork
07-30-2006, 12:55 AM
I cast up some tonight, using my *new* wrong mold (this would be the 2nd revision). My results matched Ranch Dog's as regards size (wrong meplat, length, diameter). I'm not sure what bullet they based the mold on, but they were at least consistent.

I suppose I'll be contacting them and sending drawings, again.

Ranch Dog
07-30-2006, 01:37 AM
Got my replacement in today's mail. I did send a copy of the drawing in the letter and this is what I got back:...
C A Plater... It looks like the mold I cast from but is not the Ranch Dog TLC432-285-RF.

II'm not sure what bullet they based the mold on, but they were at least consistent.
Too me it looks like it is based on the C430-310-RF shortened to .74" with Micro-Bands.

Just a quick question
Some where on this thread it was said that we will get the new mould by hunting season?,when is that for you guys?
Hunting season is year round for me in that there is always hogs to chase. Antelope is in October and deer starts in November.

Plainsman
07-30-2006, 09:07 AM
Starts about Nov. 10.

wills
07-30-2006, 09:29 AM
Didn’t realize there was antelope hunting at Cuero. When is the Turkey Trot?

Ranch Dog
07-30-2006, 11:34 AM
Actually there is a lot of blackbuck on places around here but I'm into the West Texas version. Turkey Trot is in October... that's when all the turkeys are roaming the streets of Cuero!

C A Plater
07-30-2006, 02:36 PM
Attached is the drawing I sent back with the mold to Lee on the 17th or 18th of this month. I did some more measuring of the mold and with the exception of the nose or metplat and taking into account the cast shrinkage, it looks to be to the drawing. The nose is the correct length as well as the over all bullet length. Diameter would be the most critical and comparing it to other .44 moulds I have it is in the ball park as the others are .001-.003" larger but they needed sizing.

David R
07-30-2006, 03:37 PM
I don't have a Ranch dog mold, but if LEE can put those molds back in the lathe and take out .002 or .003" with out making them out of round, they have some awesome macheney.

David

Newtire
07-30-2006, 06:57 PM
I got a call from Lee since the UPS Store people didn't put a return address on my package. Anyway, the lady said to contact Susan in the repair dept. I will ask her if they are going to cut a new mould. If they can shave .002" off, then they are doing good. I hope to get a new one cut to specs.

steveb
07-30-2006, 07:39 PM
TA DA! Well here are the results using the Ranch Dog TLC432-285 in front of 17.0 grains of WC820(n) the AA#9 equivelent with my Rossi 92 you see in my avatar. The chrony results where all over the place from 1455 to 1900 FPS. I think I need a new battery as I tried it several times.AARRGG, oh well heres my target at 50 Yards with a dime for scale. I dropped these bullets using air cooled WW.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/steveb3006/TLC432-285-RF50yard.jpg

The bore on my Rossi 92 measures .432 and I had zero leading using the check and Liquid earwax( I mean alox). It has some pump to it I just wisjed I could tell you the actual velocities. I hope Indiana will let us use our leverguns in 07....Steve.

I got some more of these Ranch Dogs over the chrony today after replacing the battery and getting nice consistant velocities using 17.0 grains of WC820(n). Average Velocity 1470 with Extreme spread of 24, and a standard deveation of 6.2

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/steveb3006/RROTLC432-285-RF.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/steveb3006/TLC432-285CHART.jpg

All shots taken at 50 Yards.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/steveb3006/TLC432-285targetJuly301.jpg

jcork
07-30-2006, 09:37 PM
SteveB-

Please confirm, these are the '2nd revision' RD bullets, based on the first 'replacement' molds Lee sent out?

steveb
07-30-2006, 10:11 PM
SteveB-

Please confirm, these are the '2nd revision' RD bullets, based on the first 'replacement' molds Lee sent out?

jcork, same as you. It's the *new* wrong mold (this would be the 2nd revision). It measures between .432-433 but wrong meplat, length, diameter. This is the first load I have tried with this and it looks like I may have gotten lucky right off the bat and just need to fine tune it some. I got 16 lbs of this powder and thought I would try it first. But that still doesnt change the fact that its NOT THE REAL RANCH DOG BULLET!!:twisted: now does it?[smilie=b: :) Have you got to shoot any out of the second wrong mold yet? All this talk about the *new* wrong mold and the 2nd wrong mold can get confusing huh?:roll: Im just waiting to see if Lee is sending me another or what. Like Ranch Dog said we will see what this week brings.

jcork
07-30-2006, 11:21 PM
I would propose that we standardize our lexicon, in the interest of clarity.

Ranch Dog TLC432-285 FRM (first wrong mold)
vs
Ranch Dog TLC432-285 SRM (second wrong mold)

:)

PatMarlin
07-31-2006, 11:18 AM
..........:mrgreen:

Newtire
07-31-2006, 11:42 PM
Called Susan in the repair dept. at Lee and she asked me if I was with that group who all bought their moulds together and that she didn't know how soon it would get done but there was a guy working on them right now and that they are going to send out newly cut moulds. That's what I heard this morning.
By the way, I would like to thank you Jeff for all of your trouble. Hope we don't end up seeing you on the Dr. Phil show all wrapped up in a straight jacket. Real glad to see that this group is learning good manners in not heckling the poor Honcho who is just the middle man. thank you again. I'll post my results here as soon as I get my mould.

Buckshot
08-01-2006, 01:20 AM
.............I just want everyone to be aware that there is probably some math being presented here, which people have paid money to see and learn in their life. We're getting it all for free :-). I personally kinda skim past it but do glance at it, as I'm impressed. However if I were to linger my head would explode and I need my head.

If I didn't have a head, my ball caps would be useless and also, where would I pour the beer?

................Buckshot

PatMarlin
08-01-2006, 01:23 AM
.............where would I pour the beer?

................Buckshot

Send it up north.. :mrgreen:

405 WCF
08-01-2006, 04:14 AM
Got the two Swedish molds back today.
Just picked them up.
Maby they cast bigger bullets, but the meplat still locks like it does on my Lee 430-310-RF mold.
I will do some casting later today, and check the dia.

Sven Dufva
08-01-2006, 05:03 AM
Got the two Swedish molds back today.
Just picked them up.
Maby they cast bigger bullets, but the meplat still locks like it does on my Lee 430-310-RF mold.
I will do some casting later today, and check the dia.

What Swedish moulds, is it mimek?
What size?

405 WCF
08-01-2006, 05:35 AM
No, I mean, the two molds from this "group buy" that a friend and I bought, that was shipped from US to Sweden.

I just got in from my " test casting", and I am not happy at all.
Bullet size from .428 - 4295.
In my world, it just seems that Lee has posted old returned molds for me.
I must say, I am really mad !!!!!!!!!!!!
I will write to Lee and tell them how my "new" molds are.

Ranch Dog
08-01-2006, 08:16 AM
405 WCF... this news is just awful. If anything, I would have thought you guys on the other side of the globe would have been the first to see the re-cut TLC432-285-RF. With the expense and hassle of shipping the item to you, this just doesn't make a lick of sense.

I thought I might add some statistics as I know Lee Precision is reading this thread. It might be 37 molds but over 4,000 buyers have read this thread. This site has generated over $20,000 in special order molds this year alone.

That amount of money might be pocket change when compared against Lee's overall sales but it is pure gravy that has come to them without any effort. The special order business is pure gravy to begin with. We pay a setup fee and the full retail price for the mold. That sale generates a profit that does not have to be shared with any middleman. Through their dealers, Lee would need to generate about $60,000 in sales to make the same profit. I am positive that Lee would not treat a dealer that is ordering that amount of product with this much indifference.

Lee needs to step up to the plate and complete this sale immediately. I am suspending my TLC460-425-RFB group buy until this is resolved. I would rather shoot jacketed bullets than be treated like this.

steveb
08-01-2006, 10:13 AM
Guys, I called Lee Precision and talked to the repair dept, the gal I talked to didnt know when the moulds would be recut and I asked to talk to John Lee. John calls me back and wanted me to tell all who are in on this if your not happy with the moulds send them back and they will make them right[smilie=1: (and I'm terrible about relaying info trust me on this) but John said something about they will be changing the way moulds are done or design parameters or some such after this because they have lost money on this deal. Im under the impression that Lee is not cutting the whole batch because some are happy with the moulds they have? He said if you are not happy with your mould send it back and it will be replaced.:confused:

45 2.1
08-01-2006, 10:18 AM
If LEE would cut to the specs provided, not undersize or with substitutions, things like this wouldn't happen.

Ranch Dog
08-01-2006, 10:26 AM
John said something about they will be changing the way moulds are done or design parameters or some such after this because they have lost money on this deal.

It sounds like he is blaming the buyers for the problem... John Lee, it is YOUR PROBLEM... YOU DON'T CUT THE MOLDS TO THE SPEC!!!

steveb
08-01-2006, 10:37 AM
Maybe someone else could call Lee and talk to John thats better suited to represent us as a group??

Heres the number he called me from 262-673-3524

405 WCF
08-01-2006, 11:50 AM
The molds are not what we ordered.
We wanted an original " RANCH DOG ".
We have payed for a TLC 432 - 285 RF, and nothing else.
I will go out now and check mold nr 2, but even if that mold drop .432+ bullets, it still arent the mold that all of us sent our money for.

jeff223
08-01-2006, 12:18 PM
so what can we do about this?if anthhing?
i was the first one to get my mold back and i tried it out and the boolits dont shoot like the REAL RANCH DOG boolits so do i send it back again or just say the hell with it?i could sell the mold to someone that needs a .430 or .431 boolit?what do you guys think?it sure lookls like Lee isnt going to make a batch of the real RANCH DOG boolits for us.as far as im concerned we just waisted our time and money on this deal.we sent in the spec sheet and all they did was make a boolit that has the tumble lube groves.this kind of makes you wonder if we should send any more group buys to them???i sure am asking myself that question???

Lee still hasnt filled the fat 44 group buy and im hoping that mold drops a boolit thats right up to spec.if so im sure it will shoot much better.who would like to bet a quarter on this?

PatMarlin
08-01-2006, 01:25 PM
Someone needs to send a detailed letter to Richard Lee, so he can get off his tractor, go in and take names and kick dragon.. :mrgreen:

I think they're probably having big trouble finding a competent machinist.. :roll:

Didn't someone post they just got a new guy awhile back? Hmmmm.

Poohgyrr
08-01-2006, 03:36 PM
Send it up north.. :mrgreen:

Pat,

You beat me to it......

Plainsman
08-01-2006, 06:59 PM
I phoned Lee Precision around 12:15PM Central time today and spoke with Pat. He said that he is still trying to get things worked out with his boss. He is going to cut new molds. He said that he is trying to get his boss to agree to sending the molds out WITH RETURN POSTAGE LABELS for the old molds (second run?) for the 13 or 14 of us who already sent them in once.

He said that those 13 or 14 were NEWLY CUT molds and that it was easier to recut new molds than try to adjust the first ones we sent in. (????)

He was pleasant enough to talk to and it was a very cordial conversation. How much of it I truly believe remains to be seen, considering what others have been saying in this thread thus far.

One of his questions that sticks with me was, "Have you tried any of the bullets from this mold in your rifle?" It was like he was trying to really say, "It doesn't matter if they are 'off' a little they'll work."

I explained to him, "No, as I don't even have a set of handles yet, and I didn't recieve the mold to the dimensions I 'wanted'..." He didn't have a response to that.

I think if we stick to our 'guns' and enough of us actually contact him in person, this will eventually get squared away. It's just a shame that it is such a hassle to get molds to the dimensions 'guaranteed in writing' by them...

Keeping my fingers crossed!

TTYL!

steveb
08-01-2006, 07:15 PM
He said that those 13 or 14 were NEWLY CUT molds and that it was easier to recut new molds than try to adjust the first ones we sent in. (????)

TTYL!

Wasnt the first run we got NEWLY CUT before some of us used them to see how they cast?? Wasnt the second run that some of us got including myself(that was still not to spec) NEWLY cut before I cast some out of it? That doesnt make any sense at all to me unless im misunderstanding it.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Plainsman, keep those fingers crossed but whatever you do please dont hold your breath. Im afraid you will turn blue.:( The mould I have is shooting good its just not to spec I may be better off just keeping the one I have and not fretting over this any longer I dont know.

jcork
08-01-2006, 07:49 PM
Thanx to all for making the calls; my work schedule and time zone don't work very well for that.

I sent my mold out today, again. We'll see what happens in Round 3.

Plainsman
08-01-2006, 08:00 PM
Pat did take my name and address to send the new mold once they are completed. Therefore, I'm not sending the mold back until I have a new, correct one in hand. Also, it might be a good idea for the rest of you to get a hold of him and give him your shipping info as well!

As to the "Newly cut" molds, that means that they were cut from blank stock and NOT adjusted...That what he said anyhow...

TTYL!

Gringo Loco
08-01-2006, 11:59 PM
Whewee!!! ... I had been sorely disappointed that I missed out on this group buy ... but looks like I really dodged a bullet. I really do hope that Lee makes this right. I can truly say that Lee really would not want to lose Ranch Dog as a customer. He has probably sent more business their way. I don't mean just his personal purchases either. He readily defends their products against Lee bashers and has been very influential with newcomers to reloading, including yours truly. Hope this works out. Although Lee may lose on this particular deal, they will win the longrun if they make it right, and the loss will serve as a reminder to the effects of getting lax on the job. Everyone makes mistakes at one point or another. It's how you act upon that mistake that holds water. Likewise, if they make it right, forgive the mistake and move on.

With the exception of a few tools Lee does not make, all equipment on my reloading bench is Lee Precision. I have Lee dies for the .444 Marlin, .35 Remington, .308 Winchester, .358 Winchester and the .45 ACP.

My 2 cents.

- Gringo Loco of Texas

David R
08-02-2006, 12:25 AM
Back to the recut thing. To put a mold back into a lathe and take out a few more thousandths properly would be a great feat of the machine and operator. To cut a new one would be much faster and easier. Possibly they used the same program? This would explain why its still too small or not the right nose. I hope lee understands there are feeding and OAL issues.

jeff223
08-02-2006, 04:19 PM
****UPDATE ON THIS****http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/images/icons/icon10.gif
i have decided to send my 2nd mold back to Lee with another spec sheet.im going to tell them i expect a mold made to spec like i ordered or i would like a refund of my $50.00 pluss the shipping cost i paid.

if you are not happy with your molds send them back again asking for the right mold made to spec or have them refund your money.lets Lee if Lee will take care of this like they said they would

if they make this right i will run the 357- 3 crimp grove group buy and if they dont im done with Lee Precision products all together.all payments received on this deal will be returned

jcork
08-02-2006, 06:36 PM
I emailed them on Monday and got a reply today:

We are making a third batch of bullet molds. We should be able to begin shipping them next week. We have stopped shipping molds from the second batch. Thirteen went out before we caught the problem with them. Thanks to Mr. Cameron (and others) who alerted us to the problem before they all went out.

That seems consistent with what has been reported so far.

Plainsman
08-02-2006, 07:04 PM
Pat seems to be consistent this week on what he's telling us. Therefore, I'll wait for my new mold and the return postage label! :) I agree with the statements by Gringo on the true test is how this ENDS not the journey there! If LEE gets us what we originally asked for, then they did a good job!! I also agree people make mistakes and this was just that, somebody probably wasn't paying close attention on the programming and then proceeded to use the SAME program on the second run! That's where "in-process review" comes in for quality systems!! ;)
BTW, I've been working in 'quality' for four years now and NOBODY is perfect in ANY job!

Ranch Dog
08-02-2006, 09:40 PM
...and NOBODY is perfect in ANY job!

Amen!

I've been out all day working in the pasture and when I got back in I had an email from Pat that reinforced what the other fellows have said. That works for me!!!

Gringo... have you been back down in my neck of the woods?

Gringo Loco
08-03-2006, 02:27 AM
BTW, I've been working in 'quality' for four years now and NOBODY is perfect in ANY job!
Know exactly what you're talking about and have experienced both sides of the equation :wink: .

Gringo... have you been back down in my neck of the woods?
PM Ranch Dog.

k8bor
08-03-2006, 07:23 AM
I'll wait for my third run and shipping label too. I'm not sure the sizes on my 2nd mold are too consistent with the way they go through the sizer. It'll be interesting to see what happens.
Dave

no34570
08-04-2006, 07:51 AM
Hi guys
I wonder if I should send my mould back to Lee?,even though I got an email saying I don't have too because of the distance(Australia),or should I wait?
Just going by 405 WCF's post,it sounds like he sent his moulds back,I don't know it sounds like a great balls up on Lee's part.
no34570

jeff223
08-04-2006, 11:39 AM
dont know what to tell you brother??you miight want to wait it out a spell just to see what happens.maybe Lee will just send you out a new mold on their own.i would think they would

no34570
08-04-2006, 06:01 PM
dont know what to tell you brother??you might want to wait it out a spell just to see what happens.maybe Lee will just send you out a new mold on their own.i would think they would
Yeah,I think you are right Jeff
I might just wait and see what happens,but if I have to send it back to Lee after what they told me in the email,then they are going to have to reimburse me for the postage and insurance.

After all this,I'm having second thoughts on buying anymore Lee gear,what happens if something goes wrong with that,will this be a indication of what happens?I might start buying gear of other brands,don't know depends on Lee how they respond.
Cheers guys
Dale
no34570:castmine:

jeff223
08-04-2006, 07:20 PM
***UPDATE***
Pat from Lee precision called me this afternoon and told me they were running the right RANCH DOG molds for us today.he said he had about 12 or 13 done and would finish up the rest on Monday

he asked me to send him all your addresses so he could ship the new molds out to all that bought one.i will take care of this address thing by Monday and will send this list to him.im thinking i will send the list out next day air or something like that

how this sound guys?http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Plainsman
08-04-2006, 07:40 PM
Wouldn't it be the easiest to email the list to him? Maybe even fax if you need to get him a 'hard copy.' Then it would be fast and FREE(email) or cheap anyhow (fax.) I'd hate to see you spending more money on this...Not to mention, did't they keep any records of who they sent the second batch to? You'd think all they would need is the addy's of the ones that didn't get the second batch...

Otherwise, this sounds GREAT to me!! As long as we end up with the right mold, things are moving in the 'right' direction as far as I'm concerned!

no34570
08-04-2006, 10:20 PM
Wouldn't it be the easiest to email the list to him? Maybe even fax if you need to get him a 'hard copy.' Then it would be fast and FREE(email) or cheap anyhow (fax.) I'd hate to see you spending more money on this...Not to mention, did't they keep any records of who they sent the second batch to? You'd think all they would need is the addy's of the ones that didn't get the second batch...

Otherwise, this sounds GREAT to me!! As long as we end up with the right mold, things are moving in the 'right' direction as far as I'm concerned!

This sounds good to me as well,I reckon it would be easier to fax him the addresses or email too.
I hope they don't forget about to send one to little ol me down here in the land down under:-D
Dale
no34570

no34570
08-04-2006, 10:29 PM
I'd still like to know why Lee did not give us the original Ranchdog mould specs?
Maybe they told one of you guy's that rang or emailed them,I know they did'nt tell me,I might be jumping the gun so to speak,they might have already apologised in an earlier post and explained why they stuffed up,i might of missed that post in my haste to email them and go crook at them.
Can anyone tell me if they did apologise,if they have not,they should kiss our proverbial to make it up to us!
That's my two cents worth
Dale
no34570

Poohgyrr
08-05-2006, 12:00 AM
***UPDATE*** he asked me to send him all your addresses so he could ship the new molds out to all that bought one. how this sound guys?

Ummm, I haven't made it to the post office yet to send back my wrong mold, but I still get the right mold?? Is that what I read in your post?? :drinks: :drinks:

I ran a production department in a former life... Sometimes "stuff happens" Thia would go a long way in restoring any doubts I had about LEE... I'd also give you a BIG thanks...

Do they still need my wrong mold back??

Plainsman
08-05-2006, 01:29 PM
Pooh!

When I spoke with Pat, he was working on getting return shipping labels to go with the NEW molds so once we recieved them all we had to do is use the label to return in to Lee. We SHOULD NOT have to ship them back at our expense again!

Also, in Jeff's last post, he said Pat had asked him for a list of us and our addy's so he could ship the molds. So putting those two things together, I would wait patiently for the new mold and/or more instructions!

405 WCF
08-06-2006, 04:03 PM
no34570, I have not returned the molds.
I will wait and see what Lee says.

Ranch Dog
08-06-2006, 04:18 PM
That's the way I read it guys...

1. Hang tight. If you still have a mold, outofspec #1 or outofspec #2, just hang on to it.
2. Lee will ship according to Jeff's address list.
3. The mold box will include a return shipping label for what ever mold you are holding on to.

I've already sent #1 and #2 back so I'm out the shipping. That's okay, I just want the RD TLC432-285-RF as I got boolits to cast and critters to kill. I hope you guys got your lube, sizing die, and gas checks standing by.

405 WCF
08-08-2006, 04:34 PM
Any news from Lee?

Plainsman
08-08-2006, 07:49 PM
Nothing here, yet!

VTDW
08-08-2006, 08:34 PM
***UPDATE***
Pat from Lee precision called me this afternoon and told me they were running the right RANCH DOG molds for us today.he said he had about 12 or 13 done and would finish up the rest on Monday

he asked me to send him all your addresses so he could ship the new molds out to all that bought one.i will take care of this address thing by Monday and will send this list to him.im thinking i will send the list out next day air or something like that

how this sound guys?http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Jeff,

You ARE the MAN:drinks:

steveb
08-08-2006, 10:39 PM
Any news from Lee?

Nothing so far. I wished it would hurry up and get here. Im ready to send that mould back when I get the new one as I'm done with it now.[smilie=1:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/steveb3006/castingpictsAug82006027.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/steveb3006/FeedYAddictionCAST.jpg

:-D :-D :-D

Buckshot
08-09-2006, 01:57 AM
..............steveb, could you kindly get a new rifle? That Rossi is a nice one but I'm tired of looking at it now, thanks :-)

Your pal, Buckshot

PatMarlin
08-09-2006, 02:35 AM
Yes I agree.. send it to me.. :mrgreen:

405 WCF
08-09-2006, 03:39 AM
A little of topic, but I have to ask what you guys have to pay for a .432 custom sizer from Lee?
Here in Sweden that custom sizer costs around 120 USD.

Finn45
08-09-2006, 04:10 AM
A little of topic, but I have to ask what you guys have to pay for a .432 custom sizer from Lee?

This is from http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/faq/index.cgi (click Custom Services -> Bullet sizing dies - Cast):

Bullet Sizing Dies

Custom lube and size kits are $25 plus $4.00 S/H. Send payment and the desired diameter to the factory, and allow 4 weeks for delivery.

Our address is:

Lee Precision, Inc.
4275 Highway "U"
Hartford, WI 53027

Few years ago I ordered .459" kit directly from Lee; price was the same and air mail +$10 at that time, now probably couple of bucks more. For custom work and airmail shipping you need to contact them via email. Takes about one month total.

You can also order one from member Buckshot... He makes true .432", from Lee you get wider tolerance...

405 WCF
08-09-2006, 05:03 AM
Thank you Finn!
I will talk to mr Buckshot.

Ranch Dog
08-09-2006, 07:40 AM
Nothing so far. I wished it would hurry up and get here. Im ready to send that mould back when I get the new one as I'm done with it now.[smilie=1:

How does it shoot?

PatMarlin
08-09-2006, 11:25 AM

Youch..! :shock:

With the level of craftsmanship in Sweden, think someone could come up with a sizing die.

I used to own a 2"- 24 track anolog tape machine from Sweden. A Wille Studer.

steveb
08-09-2006, 12:48 PM
..............steveb, could you kindly get a new rifle? That Rossi is a nice one but I'm tired of looking at it now, thanks :-)

Your pal, Buckshot

Well geez Buckshot, maybe I do post it alot.:oops: Here is this better.:-D

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/steveb3006/castingpictsAug82006034.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/steveb3006/castingpicts006.jpg
:lol:

cast-n-blast
08-10-2006, 04:05 PM
Steveb, heh, heh, heh............... I like the way you think !

Poohgyrr
08-10-2006, 04:20 PM
steveb,

If you get tired of that old lever too, I'd like dibs on sending you another prepaid shipping label.....

:bigsmyl2:

steveb
08-10-2006, 08:14 PM
steveb,

If you get tired of that old lever too, I'd like dibs on sending you another prepaid shipping label.....

:bigsmyl2:

John,I think I'm gonna hang on to this one ;)

Plainsman
08-10-2006, 08:39 PM
Ok guys! Pat said they'd have the molds done on Mon. So has anybody actually recieved one yet???? Anybody planning on phoning to see what the status is? I would, but I won't be able to until tomorrow evening and they will be closed already.

Thanks!