PDA

View Full Version : Round Ball Moulds

Beerd
05-03-2005, 05:54 PM
I finally traded into a 24 bore fusil that seems to like patched .562 roundballs.
Both Lyman & Lee make moulds I could use, but Lee makes a two holer while Lyman casts one at a time.
The question, does Lee use the same size blocks for both one and two cavity moulds? If so, it sounds like it would get real hot real quick which means slow down your casting speed. Might as well use a 1 cavity to start with, right? Anyone use one of these Lee moulds?

old gunner
05-03-2005, 09:12 PM
I think the double cavitys are bigger, I have some of each, but I am to lazy to walk out to the shop and look for sure.
I have used Lee double cavitys in other sizes and have had little if any problems. Lee molds cool fast in the air, a slight breeze will make a difference, if You need to cool down the mold some, the method I use is to keep a wet cloth pad made of an old towel near by. touch the hot mold briefly to the moist pad and it cools rapidly. I do not do this to My lyman molds, because someone told Me that they could warp. So I never tried it.
Cooling a Lee mold in the above method has never done any damage to any of My molds.
Bill

C1PNR
05-06-2005, 06:11 PM
I think the double cavitys are bigger, I have some of each, but I am to lazy to walk out to the shop and look for sure.
I have used Lee double cavitys in other sizes and have had little if any problems. Lee molds cool fast in the air, a slight breeze will make a difference, if You need to cool down the mold some, the method I use is to keep a wet cloth pad made of an old towel near by. touch the hot mold briefly to the moist pad and it cools rapidly. I do not do this to My lyman molds, because someone told Me that they could warp. So I never tried it.
Cooling a Lee mold in the above method has never done any damage to any of My molds.
Bill
Take a look at the following from the old Aimoo site:

http://www.aimoo.com/forum/postview.cfm?id=514616&CategoryID=228143&startcat=1&ThreadID=1710189

Perhaps one of the moderators could "pin" it to the top of one of the topics, as it was on Aimoo.