PDA

View Full Version : 459 bullets for the 454 guns

DragoonDrake
04-02-2010, 08:40 AM
Last night I cast and lubed/sized some LBT 459-340-WLN that I wanted to use for my Super Redhawk. Well the first sizing went well with gas check and grooves filled well. Then I switched to the Lee push through sizer in 457 and managed to stick the first bullet in it. I can not hit it out or puch it through, any suggestions and is this a problem I can expect every time I try this sort of venture of sizing down bullets this much?

Thanks in advance

Adam

Calamity Jake
04-02-2010, 09:02 AM
Last night I cast and lubed/sized some LBT 459-340-WLN that I wanted to use for my Super Redhawk. Well the first sizing went well with gas check and grooves filled well. Then I switched to the Lee push through sizer in 457 and managed to stick the first bullet in it. I can not hit it out or puch it through, any suggestions and is this a problem I can expect every time I try this sort of venture of sizing down bullets this much?

Thanks in advance

Adam

You will need to drill the stuck boolit out, start with a 3/16 dia. drill try to stay in the center as best you can then go to the next larger drill, do this about 3 times being careful not to touch the die with the bit, then see if you can push the remaining boolit out.

Next time spray a little case lube on them first.

prs
04-02-2010, 09:15 AM
I would think that once you drill the 3/8" hole through it, it would then push on through. I would be tempted to use propane torch to melt it out.

prs

44man
04-02-2010, 09:22 AM
Why are you starting with a rifle boolit for the .454? You need .452 or so and will just wipe off lube grooves from the large boolits.

DragoonDrake
04-02-2010, 11:08 AM
I was trying something new and I did put some oil on the bullet. I want a heavier bullet for the 454. The Lyman 325 does ok.