PDA

View Full Version : Attention veterans and patriots. . . need your help.

Recluse
04-01-2010, 08:29 PM
Please indulge me for a moment.

Once again, I'm posting this here, in Shooters.com because of the high visibility and high traffic. . . and the high response.

I'm not sure I have, or can find, the right words to express what I been trying to type and communicate. This is my eighth or ninth attempt, and it's still not coming out right, so please bear with me.

In the 60's and 70's, we called into action almost three million soldiers, sailors and airmen to fight the Vietnam war. What happened in Indochina started well before 1965 and did not end, fully--if it even has--until perhaps the early 80's. Including that time period prior to '65 and after '75, another one million, give or take, U.S. servicemen were called to serve and fight in the SE Asia theater.

During the actual Vietnam War, and I refuse to ever call it a conflict, almost 59,000 of our brothers, and some sisters, did not come home.

Those who did come home. . . . some wished they never had. Most were reviled by their own citizenry based upon reports, propaganda and falsehoods perpetrated by the likes of liberal media figures, Hollywood activists, college academics, etc.

The following link presents a way for us, as a nation, to perhaps not "right a wrong," but instead to communicate to those surviving Vietnam War veterans just how much we respect, admire. . . and love them for their duty, service and sacrifice.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BeforeTheyGo

For a lot of veterans, this will stir some memories--good, bad, unpleasant, relief. For older veterans, it will remind them of just how screwed up we were for almost two entire decades.

And for the younger veterans, it will reinforce just how much things have changed when it comes to the attitude the majority of this nation has for their soldiers, sailors and airmen.

To the younger vets, I say this:

I admonish you to never, ever take for granted the outpouring of love and support you receive. Too many of us remember not being able to wear our uniforms in airports during our liberty for fear of the open hostility we were confronted with. Vets in the late 60's and early 70's came home to be literally spat upon in airports, bus stations and ports of entry. Vets in the late 60's and all of the 70's and even into the early 80's heard the words "war monger" and "kiddy killer" and "baby raper" hurled at them.

Even tougher was when vets utilized their GI Bill to attend college--only to be met with open hostility by liberal, communist-leaning professors and administrators. So many vets dropped out of college. . . and some even dropped out of society.

Times have changed in regards to how this nation once again, rightfully, views her service men and women. And it's not often that one has a chance to change history or right a wrong, but with this, "Before They Go," we do have a chance to say in one collective voice, "Thank you, and we love you."

:coffee:

largom
04-01-2010, 08:53 PM
Could not agree more! Could never understand why they blamed the servicemen. We did not start any war. We only took orders. If you disagree with any war/conflict go to the root of the problem, usually Wash. D.C.

Back then I could'nt understand their feelings or anger. Today I would just shoot the ********. I am totally fed-up with the lack of patriotism in our country.

Larry

44fanatic
04-01-2010, 09:04 PM
Excellent post. Vietnam vets got hosed when they came home for actions that were their duty.

I have always thanked the vets from that era for paving the path for us young veterans.

Fort Campbell had a welcome home ceremony this year for the Vietnam vets during the "week of the Eagles". Showing that you all are not forgotten.

Thank you for being my brother/sister in arms.

wiersy111
04-01-2010, 09:20 PM
I can relate to this post as I am a Vet of Desert Storm and Iraqi Freedom. I have always looked up to my "big brother" veterans, they have went through hell both on the battlefield and at home. The general sentiment of the public is that Desert Storm was an easy war but as a Mechanized Infantryman I can say it was the most intense tank battles ever fought. I thank God it went as fast as it did as our bodies would not have been able to sustain the pace for an extended time.

Big Boomer
04-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Well said! Couldn't agree more. 'Tuck

04-01-2010, 09:34 PM
Thanks, Recluse.

Came back to the World 41-years-ago this June. Man, it's difficult to fathom that it's been that long ago. As an Air Force weapons mechanic, I didn't see combat but did endure 24 rocket and mortar attacks.

When I see today's young men and women in uniform, they receive a very sincere "Thank you for your service."

E-mail I send to family and friends are signed "Patriot."

largom,
When did liberals and anti-Americans ever do anything that was rational?

exile
04-01-2010, 09:48 PM
As my father-in-law said (who served in combat in WWII, some of it in the jungles in the Philippines),

"People just don't know what those guys in Vietnam went through".

I was too young to have served in Vietnam, however my best friends in graduate school were Vietnam veterans. They were some of the finest men I have ever had the privilege to know. What we have done to them and their families is inexcusable.

What most people don't understand is that there were four or five countries (Thailand being one of them) who did not succumb to Communism because of our presence in Vietnam. What they also try to keep out of the history books is that more people died in Vietnam (execution and "re-education camps") after we left than while we were there. I for one do not regard the Vietnam conflict as a waste, especially considering the mess we are in now in this country with the communist takeover of our government.

Like I said, I was too young, and I am not a veteran. If I have spoken out of turn, please accept my apologies. I just hate to see Vietnam veterans feel like their sacrifice was a waste. From this American citizen who is free because of the sacrifice of our veterans, Thank You from the bottom of my heart.

exile

Lead Fred
04-01-2010, 09:57 PM
The sigma still remains

I don't remember much of the late 70s, and most of the 80s. I was to busy having fun just being back in the world. (Partying).[smilie=p:

When I came out of the fog, I found things never changed. Still today we are dope smoking, ear toting, baby killing dinosaurs. Not my words, what I was called by an active duty Marine Captain. He is an Company Commander. That was 5-6 years ago.

Today, half my life later, the US government says we are terrorists, and threats. The last soldiers to fight a total manual war, without electronic aids.

They are worried we will teach the youngsters what Victor Charlie taught us.

It will never end

We cant even grow old, retire, go fishing, and die in peace.

wiersy111
04-01-2010, 10:04 PM
I don't think they will ever let old Vets fade away with out dredging up the past. Just like the majority of Americans are only patriotic when it;s the "in" thing.

Blacksmith
04-01-2010, 10:43 PM
Each Veteran's Day when I make it a point to personally thank each Veteran I know I still say "If we don't thank each other no one else will." because no one thanked us then. And no I do not accecpt Jane Fonda's so called "apology" and refuse to watch anything she ever appeared in.

Blacksmith

thx997303
04-01-2010, 10:57 PM
As a vet that's never seen combat, I say thank god for all those who have served before me, and thank god for all those who will serve to protect our constitution after me.

Edited to add: And to any who think I shouldn't say god, I don't give a flying you know what! I wrote a check in the amount of "Up to and including my life" to this country and I'll say "Thank God" any time I please. Thank god that check was only cashed in the amount of 2 knees, 1 back, constant pain, and quality sleep without the aid of a machine.

I love this country and God help the bastard I see messing with a vet!

358wcf
04-01-2010, 11:31 PM
Yes, today we remember our own service, and the service of others. We speak amongst ourselves, quietly, and remember, and sometimes we hold back the tears--
I served from '70 thru '75, and I am one of the fortunate ones. Regrettably, the "folks back home" didn't have much compassion or respect for our servicemen (I speak too kindly), and generally treated any uniformed person like S*&T. It was disgraceful, painful, and humiliating at the same time. We remember, though we try so hard to forget- I remember when being seen in uniform in San Francisco was dangerous!
For years now, when I see servicemen in a restuarant, I catch the waitress and pay their bill, and thank them personally for their service and personal hardships. This touch has brought so many smiles and reassured them that someone cares. A little thing to do, but so greatly appreciated.
Stop by a VA hospital and visit with the troopers there, drop off some of your magazines and books you've finished with. Strike up a conversation, and make a friend. Years ago I took a young "wounded warrior" out on a three day pass from the hospital, and took him to the mountains and got him into the fresh air, fishing. I did the fishing for both of us, as he was learning to use his prostetic hands, having lost both of his in a fragging incident in 'Nam. Great young kid, tragically maimed, and I'll bet he remembers that trip today.
'Vets deserved to be remembered every day, in so many ways--- don't use slogans and put ribbons on your car- shake a vet's hand, spend some time with him, and give him or her some respect. You will have touched their heart with kindness-
Last month, I buried my sister, a Navy Vet, in the local National Veteran's cemetary near Los Banos, CA.
What a humbling place that was-- so many servicemen, finally at rest-

Remember those who serve-

358wcf [smilie=1:[smilie=1:[smilie=1:

Recluse
04-02-2010, 12:57 AM
Stop by a VA hospital and visit with the troopers there, drop off some of your magazines and books you've finished with. Strike up a conversation, and make a friend. Years ago I took a young "wounded warrior" out on a three day pass from the hospital, and took him to the mountains and got him into the fresh air, fishing. I did the fishing for both of us, as he was learning to use his prostetic hands, having lost both of his in a fragging incident in 'Nam. Great young kid, tragically maimed, and I'll bet he remembers that trip today.

'Vets deserved to be remembered every day, in so many ways--- don't use slogans and put ribbons on your car- shake a vet's hand, spend some time with him, and give him or her some respect. You will have touched their heart with kindness-

358wcf [smilie=1:[smilie=1:[smilie=1:

Absolutely.

There are many things many of us can do, and may not even realize it.

I'm part of a volunteer veterans' pilot group that flies returning vets home. Gov't usually gets them as far as DFW or Houston Intercontinental, San Antonio, Oklahoma City, but it is then up to the vet him or herself to get the rest of the way home. Often times, "home" is another hundred or two hundred miles--or further--away.

Sometimes their family will meet them and pick them up. But often enough, that is a hardship on the family--ESPECIALLY the young men who left their wives and young child/children at home. Those families are doing good just to get by.

Our volunteer group meets them at the airport and either drive them to our home airfield or a general aviation friendly airport, load them in our planes, and take them right to their home town, or the closest town that has a suitable runway. We don't get--and wouldn't accept--a dime for it.

There is another group out there I try to help and take part in and it's called Guitars For Vets. I've played guitar since I was six-years-old, everything from formal classical guitar to country to blues to rock to covers, in bands, on stage, in the studio and now presently to what my wife refers to as "musical doodling."

We donate money to buy guitars, but I also try to make it to the VA hospitals when making one of my Angel Flights and volunteer a lesson or two while there. Here is a GREAT story on Guitars For Vets that will absolutely friggin' warm your heart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diwDRfMZ5Q8

You can google Guitars For Vets to get on their website. I know there are some musicians here as well.

Anyone ever asked a veteran if they'd simply like to go shoot sometime? I became friends with a veteran who served two tours in Afghanistan in the Army. He's been home for over five years, married with a young son. I just assumed he either didn't enjoy shooting or got to shoot all he wanted.

I was wrong on both counts, and he knew I shot, reloaded and cast my own boolits. But he didn't want to infringe by asking me if maybe we could go shoot sometime. He had a HELLUVA good time--and so did I.

Lot of vets in the hospitals are ambulatory and only need minimal assistance--bring 'em to the house for a Sunday dinner or a Friday night hamburger cook-out. Especially the older vets from Vietnam and Korea and earlier. And it goes without saying if you have an extra spot at the table during a Holiday. . .

You don't have to be a vet to reach out to a vet. Sometimes I think it means more when I see folks who didn't go the military route helping out at veterans' functions or at the VA than it does prior-service types. We're kind of expected to look out for each other.

:coffee:

nicholst55
04-02-2010, 08:00 AM
Hooah! I interact with soldiers on a daily basis. It's humbling to see these young men and women, many of them in their early 20s, with 2-3 (or more) combat tours. Think that doesn't take a toll on your mental health and family life!

I was fortunate enough - no, truly blessed, to serve 20 years on active duty and never heard a shot fired in anger. I hope that we never forget the sacrifices these fine young soldiers have made.

1Shirt
04-02-2010, 01:27 PM
Well stated! As one of those who got spit on by flower child in the SEATAC airport on the way back from a tour in Nam, I still remain bitter regarding liberal anti military *********. I make it a point every time I am in an Airport and see troops deploying or returning from a combat zone to thank every one that I encounter. I have and will continue to pick up the tab for them if I am close enough in a food line to be able to do so. I recently came back from a trip to Italy, and was in the airport in Atlanta when an obviously very tired black female Army Capt came in off a plane from overseas. As she passed I thanked her for her service. I had a Marine ball cap on w/a Nam pin, and she said, "It is the Viet Nam vet that recognizes us most, thank you, I really appreciate it". I believe there was a little moisture in her eye as she moved on. I think it is important for us that were spit on not to let that ever happen to our troops in uniform ever again.
1Shirt!:coffee:

gray wolf
04-02-2010, 06:59 PM
I can't stand it to see a vet abused in any way, Sometimes I wonder if people understand what would have happened or what it would be like if we hadn't done our part.
So many gave so much and some gave it all
And we may have to again.------------------------------SOON

mroliver77
04-03-2010, 08:27 AM
Dang! I dont know where you all live but **** like that rarely happened in this rural county. Most men of WW2 age served and were supportive of the boys comming home from RVN. My Dad served in three branches of the military in WW2, after2 and in Korea. He would have smoked anybody messing with a Vet. I remember picking up guys on leave that were hitchhiking and taking them on farther than our destination. My friend Lester RIP was a scrawny little hippy type drafted into the Marines. He went through the chit and came home a sergeant. Talked little about it. Grew some long hair and partied it up for quite some time. My dad teased him about the hair and such but all was proud of his service.
There are so many good people in this country, dont let the friggen jerk offs bring you down!!!
I am proud of everybody that served and did not cower. I try to thank all Vets when I can.

Personally, the baseball thing is nice if thats what your into. I say lets fund the VA and back every Vet that needs it!!!
Jay