PDA

View Full Version : CCW at the range?

DanOH
04-01-2010, 05:44 PM
I shot a rifle match last summer at a club on the other side of the state and was greeted by a sign at the entance to the club grounds announcing that concealled carry was forbidden on club property...wow ..that was a new one on me!
I asked my partner in the pits about this policy. He rolled his eyes and let me know that this had been a major battle within the club and he didn't want to get THAT discussion goin again in the pits!
I can understand certain aspects about safety during matches but ..wow...just doesn't sound right.

So how about elsewhere...y'all know of any clubs that have this rule?

Trey45
04-01-2010, 06:38 PM
That's a first for me. Never heard of a gunclub, gunrange, or gunshop for that matter that had a no CCW policy.

Baron von Trollwhack
04-01-2010, 06:52 PM
Some clubs don't allow full auto or silencers either. I think they are the john kerry kind of shooting outfits. EGADS !

BvT

DLCTEX
04-01-2010, 08:11 PM
Glad I don't have to shoot at a range.

wistlepig1
04-01-2010, 08:31 PM
New one for me to. No AP, No tracers, No FMJ and this is because of grass fire danger.

shooterg
04-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Our range is a part of a larger organization with charter rules saying all firearms coming onto the property remain unloaded until on the line. NO LOADED firearms behind the firing line.
But we're kinda like the army in practice - "Don't ask, don't tell". Keep it properly concealed like it should be and we care less. Don't pull it out in the parking lot to show your buddy the new piece ! If you need to practice with it, unload it before you get to the Park. And we do allow silencers, MG, even had a 20mm Lahti last year. Guns come to the line empty, leave the same way. No gun shows in the parking lot !

jhrosier
04-01-2010, 09:32 PM
We don't have such a rule at my club, and if we did, it would be largely ignored.
At a formal match that rule is understandable, otherwise, concealed means concealed.;)

Jack

MT Gianni
04-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Since I am generally the only one present when I shoot I always carry when I check targets in case someone rolls up and wants to make off with something.

lonewelder
04-01-2010, 10:12 PM
I don't agree with that rule,and I'm not defending them.But,just because someone has a ccw permit does not mean they know how to safely handle a gun.I'm probably going to get a bunch of BS from this so ok,I's my opinion as you have a right to yours.

thx997303
04-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Well, then just open carry :D

I don't like to conceal anyway. Uncomfortable.

lonewelder
04-01-2010, 10:59 PM
I wish we could all open carry,then there would be far less need for anyone to pull.MT Gianni I do the same,and have gone so far as to put bicycle locks on my rifles and remove the bolt.Where I live now I'm alone most of the time at the range exept for the regulars ,but I always carry when I check targets

Frank46
04-02-2010, 12:08 AM
Our club has never had a rule like that. However due to the fact that cotton mouths and other critters show up at the two ranges I use concealed carry takes on a whole new meaning. Not unusual to see snakes at the firing line and when changing
targets. Frank

BarryinIN
04-02-2010, 01:07 AM
I've been in or at clubs that had a similar rule. As far as I know, it wasn't enforced and you had to look hard to even find the rule.

The explanation I've got for it existing was that it was a Catch-22 deal that arose from the requirement for long gun actions to be open and empty before going downrange, which is not uncommon at all...but if you allow handguns to be carried at the same time, it sort of contradicts things there.
Common sense should rule, but you know how that is.
So they had to stick that rule in about handguns for the one or two who have nothing better to do than to make a fuss about such things. The rule is there, but not really enforced. As was said: A don't ask, don't tell kind of thing.

Recluse
04-02-2010, 01:32 AM
So how about elsewhere...y'all know of any clubs that have this rule?

Yes sir. There's one about an hour from where we live. It's a private club, and a popular one at that. And they do NOT allow CCW or open-carry on the premises. . . except for law enforcement, of course. :rolleyes: And only law enforcement can draw from a holster and fire. . . :rolleyes:

I found that out as a guest, two days ago, while being courted, woo'd and romanced to join and part with $500 as an "initiation fee" plus $125 a year dues.

I basically told them that it was their playground and I would respect any rules they had which would be very easy for me since they could kiss my - - - because Jesse James and Tiger Woods would be monogamous, faithful husbands who fainted at even the mere thought of sex before I ever set foot on their property again.

:coffee:

lwknight
04-02-2010, 05:24 AM
Concealed means concealed.
Maybe they worry about sore losers LOL
I think they are losers themselves.

shootinxd
04-02-2010, 07:46 AM
Concealed-only a hand full even know I carry all day.How would anyone know if its concealed?

captain-03
04-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Our rules are somewhat different. If you CC you are OK, unless you shoot the CCWeapon. If you shoot it, it must leave the range empty. All weapons leaving the firing line are to leave empty. If you open carry, it must be empty; magazine out of the pistol.

roggom
04-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Dan did you ask why they did not allow CCW? The two ranges I go to allow both open carry and CCW. They only forbid cross draw on the firing line, as the muzzle is pointed down the line as it comes out of the holster. Maybe some rockhead ruined it for everyone.

FISH4BUGS
04-02-2010, 12:23 PM
My club does NOT allow full auto but you can shoot your full auto on semi if you have it. Supressors are OK too. CCW is not an issue.
I am waiting to shoot skeet with the Fudds with my 6" barrel 20 ga. pump Serbu Super Shorty. That ought to frost their shorts.

deltaenterprizes
04-02-2010, 12:26 PM
I don't agree with that rule,and I'm not defending them.But,just because someone has a ccw permit does not mean they know how to safely handle a gun.I'm probably going to get a bunch of BS from this so ok,I's my opinion as you have a right to yours.
The range in New Orleans does not allow loaded guns except when in use on the firing line, the one here in Texas allows CCWs.

The lack of proper gun handling skills of the general public is scary. I was back home last week fine tuning a prospective instructor and volunteering as a range safety officer with the local Sheriff's Dept. for annual qualifications. While on the range with my student a guy with an M-1A was shooting some over pressure commercial reloaded ammo that was blowing out the base of the brass and blowing out the floorplate of the magazine. He could not figure out the problem. While talking to another member he had the butt of the gun resting on the ground, muzzle pointed up at his face with the action closed! I had to have a discussion with the other member about handling guns during a ceasfire.
My experiences on the range in Texas are worse and are described in the "off topic" forum.
These are not young kids, these guys ALL have grey hair and are old enough to know better. The problem is that they do not care.
The CCW class I took devotes very little time to safe gun handling skills.

The accidents that occur from these acts of poor gun handling give the anti gunners "ammunition" to pass laws restricting gun possession. These idiots give them the evidence that they are seeking to prove that we ALL are incapable of safely using firearms and should not be allowed to own them.

ReloaderFred
04-02-2010, 12:54 PM
This was a big topic of discussion at our club a few years ago, brought up by a guy who moved here from Calif. who thought he should be the only one to carry concealed and that nobody else should be allowed to. The outcome was that anyone with a CHL (Concealed Handgun License) could legally carry concealed on the property.

Due to the fact that we have neighbors along three sides of our property, full auto fire isn't allowed, with the exception of the police agencies and Coast Guard, all of whom use our ranges for qualification. Our property is only 42 acres and there isn't a whole lot of room for error. We also had to ban .50 BMG rifles because of the noise problem. They were so loud they were setting off the voice activated trap machines and were hard on the neighbors who actually like us. Rather than tick off those friendly neighbors we banned .50 BMG use.

As a side note, we offered to let the .50 BMG shooters continue to shoot on the range if they would build mufflers and shoot through them to lessen the noise impact on the surrounding neighborhood, but they thought that was unreasonable, too much work, etc. They could have built them in a day, but decided we were being unreasonable. Now I don't know where they shoot.

As to the original question, some clubs ban CCW because of bad experiences with individuals who have really lousy gun handling habits. Look around your range and see how many errant bullet holes there are that no one knows how they got there........... Every range I've fired on has some, but I can confidently state that I never put a hole in anything I didn't intend to shoot, meaning targets.

Hope this helps.

Fred

1Shirt
04-02-2010, 01:11 PM
My local club has a no holstered weapon rule, so guess that is to eliminate quick draw etc, but never asked as I seldom shoot much handgun. Possibly a bit on the less than cautious basis, but I don't have a problem going down range for targets with my gear on the line. However, I live in a conservative state, with mostly honest people, and I know the majority of the people who are active shooters.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

mroliver77
04-03-2010, 08:44 AM
Man I am glad I dont have to use a populated range. I get tired of OH sometimes as it is becoming Liberal. But it is OK to carry at my church, the hardware I use and the Chinese restaurant we frequent. The CC law messed up the open carry.
Jay

Lee
04-03-2010, 04:27 PM
Recluse.... $500 "initation" and $125 "yearly fee" .....I'd have told them the same thing, tho probably in not so diplomatic terms as you used...........Lee

spqrzilla
04-03-2010, 05:06 PM
Ranges have to write rules to the lowest common denominator, unfortunately.

longranger
04-03-2010, 06:57 PM
The range I worked in CA would not even allow LEO's unless uniformed carry concealed.:holysheepBut from what I've seen it's an OK policy with me.

DanOH
04-04-2010, 07:13 PM
Dan did you ask why they did not allow CCW? The two ranges I go to allow both open carry and CCW. They only forbid cross draw on the firing line, as the muzzle is pointed down the line as it comes out of the holster. Maybe some rockhead ruined it for everyone.

Oh yeah, I asked,but I guess the meetings on the ruling had been so "contentious" that the topic was like a land mine that no one wanted to touch.
Hey, I was visitor ,in the hunt for LEG points so it was a none issue for me.
I had a RRA AR15 and lots of ammo so I didn't feel in the least bit unprotected...
plus a 1911 in the van...

MT Gianni
04-04-2010, 09:48 PM
My local club has a no holstered weapon rule, so guess that is to eliminate quick draw etc, but never asked as I seldom shoot much handgun. Possibly a bit on the less than cautious basis, but I don't have a problem going down range for targets with my gear on the line. However, I live in a conservative state, with mostly honest people, and I know the majority of the people who are active shooters.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

25+ years ago we over heard inmates in our County Jail discussing the best way to get a gun. Without a doubt they were clear on go to where you hear a lone gun shooting and overpower the guy. I live with honest folk also, this was an Idaho County with a population of less than 6,000. As in many things, trust but verify.