PDA

View Full Version : Wyoming Antelope Hunt

leadman
04-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Found out I did not get drawn for any hunting here in Az. Been putting in for antelope for over 15 years and have never drawn a tag so have decided to try Wyoming.

Problem is I am on a fixed income and really do not want to spent the money for an outfitter if I don't have to. You know the old saying "more time than money". Well that is my situation.

If there are any Wyoming residents here that can give me some guidance on where to do a self-guided hunt it would be really appreciated.

My Dad used to hunt around Gillette in the 70s' with my uncles and I was supposed to go after I got out of the service but the money needed to go elsewhere and after that year they all quit going, don't know why. We lived in Michigan then.

I have always been hopeful I would get a tag here but the health issues I am facing have made me reliaze I need to do this hunt soon or may not get a chance.

Thanks in advance for any help provided to me. If you don't want to post the info here a PM would be appreciated.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
04-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Leadman,

If you don't get the info you need here, GrayBeard Outdoors has a section on that forum where you might get the needed info. Scroll down into the hunts section and you should find something helpful there.

Hmmmmmmmm, sounds like a good idee for me. Maybe start now for a 2010 or 11 hunt.

I have never had the chance to hunt "goats" and that is something I would also like to do.

From here in Ideeeeeeeeeho, would probably head in to Montaaaaaaaaana or maybe try for a tag in Southeast Idaho.

One of the reasons for recently picking up a 45/70 was to be able to rifle hunt with my own cast bullets. Have reloaded since the 60s, and like you, am at an age where I better "get er done" if it's gon'in ta get done!:cbpour:

Have cast for years, but mostly for handguns. This 45/70 is a kick[smilie=l:

Good luck an Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

dk17hmr
04-03-2010, 06:00 PM
Non Res Tags are already past the deadline for the year maybe able to get a left over for this fall you would have to call Game and Fish. I am in South West Wyoming and would be glad to help you out for the 2011 season....I can find you a good buck and extra doe tags can be bought at a reduce priced.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
04-03-2010, 06:21 PM
Interesting Doug,

The origional post got me think'in so I sent out an "E" to some family an friends to see if there was any intrest.

Gett'in old enough that if I want to get my feet wet on a goat hunt, I better head to the lake while I can still walk.

I need to apply for a cow moose here in Ideeeeeho during the month of April.

I have already taken my Bull, but since that time the moose population has grown enough to allow for some cow permits on a once in a live time draw.

If the wolves don't get em, maybe I have another chance.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

dk17hmr
04-03-2010, 07:59 PM
I got on it right away this year and talked both my dad and brother into coming out, hopefully we draw tags...just need to keep telling my dad he cant use his 223 like he did in Montana a few years ago.

semtav
04-03-2010, 09:35 PM
I think Montana is still open. Might try there if you can drive a little farther. ( Rumor has it they don't taste quite as much like sagebrush as the Wyo ones do).

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
04-03-2010, 10:07 PM
Ya, but from what I hear, them Montaaaaana goats taste a lot like mutton.[smilie=w:

The best tast'in ones are in Ideeeeeeeeho, there just aren't as many and they don't have to be penned up at night!:bigsmyl2::kidding:[smilie=l:[smilie=l:

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

ammohead
04-03-2010, 10:40 PM
Tag applications for non resident antelope in NV are available till April 20. Not sure where Deary ID is but there is some great antelope hunting just across the border in Elko and Humbolt counties.

ammohead

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
04-03-2010, 11:11 PM
Thanks ammohead.

Not sure if some of the family/friends might want to do a hunt, but someone should say something soon.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

leadman
04-03-2010, 11:15 PM
dk17HMR, thanks for the offer. I was looking at the Wyoming G&F website and hope to get a leftover tag. What area do you hunt in?
Wyoming has more hunt area than Az. and I thought we had alot.

I e-mailed an outfitter and he wants $1K for a buck and another $200 for a doe. Can't afford that for a hunt now with being retired and what happened to my stocks.

I'll snd you a PM. Thanks

runfiverun
04-03-2010, 11:30 PM
forget s/e idaho for goats.
there are exactly 8 in this area and they tend to wander in and out of wyoming.
around the s/w part of wyo.
there are several good areas.
south of wamsutter,and west of baggs holds some really decent goats during the hunt.
but is usually limited and is in amongst gas sights.
the shute creek area along 372 and between 189 holds some pretty good ones also.
also amongst gas sights.

if you do draw or decide on an area doug has my number and i can give him info on any i see.
i am out just about everyday.
most anywhere along hwy-789 [creston junction] I-80 to baggs holds some good bucks if you can get in early.

frank505
04-05-2010, 06:38 PM
just drive around all day and never get far from the truck or beer. also throw the bottles out the window, we really like that. Oh you dont want like the average wyomingite. theres lots of leftover tags in August(?) you can purchase online. lots of public land to hunt in the state and lots of antelope. try hunting them with your 45 sixgun, sure is fun.

NHlever
04-05-2010, 07:20 PM
just drive around all day and never get far from the truck or beer. also throw the bottles out the window, we really like that. Oh you dont want like the average wyomingite. theres lots of leftover tags in August(?) you can purchase online. lots of public land to hunt in the state and lots of antelope. try hunting them with your 45 sixgun, sure is fun.

I served in a unit that had mostly westerner's, and southern boys for two years in Vietnam. All were good, and trusted friends, and hard workers. They saved my hide a few times, and I gotta think I saved theirs a couple of times too maybe. What a shame that doesn't make me good enough to visit, or hunt there in Wyoming. Last time I was there a couple of folks were pretty happy to see me, and we had a good visit. Sorry that I didn't drink any beer, or throw bottles out the window. Next time I pass through, I'll try not to spend any money either....... you have plenty of movie stars there for that.

waksupi
04-05-2010, 07:55 PM
I believe he was saying that happens too often with the locals.

NHlever
04-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Perhaps. I was just recalling a mistake I made a long time ago. When I got home from Vietnam, I gave a few free hair cuts to "hippies", and got to visit with the boys in blue some for that. One night I was getting ready to start another "haircut", and I found that the guy I had a hold on was a Vietnam vet that had seen worse than I................. Don't think I've judged all by the actions of a few since.... and that ended the haircuts. Sometimes you just have to read a few pages before you judge the book.

Bodydoc447
04-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Growing up in NM we used to hunt around Clayton for antelope. Got a few there. I haven't hunted there in many years but it was a drawn tag and public accessible lands. I don't remember it as being too expensive. I don't know the cost for nonresidents or how it works now since my Dad left NM but surely some of the fellows here hail from the Land of Enchantment and could set us straight.

Doc

leadman
04-06-2010, 11:54 AM
Well, I don't drink beer (allergic to hops) but could throw out my soda cans if it is required!

Around here many "hunters" can't peel themseves off the quad seat. They even ride on the water hole berms to check for tracks.

Past couple of years me and my boys have had other "hunters" drive their trucks right up to the water holes just before dusk.

Last year I followed quad tracks thru the woods on a game trail for over a mile. There are so few game wardens here there is no fear of getting busted for this.

I'm old, arthritis, bad back, but I still park the truck and go out and hike to find the game. Not very fast, many stops, but I actually see more game now than when I was younger and able to walk faster.

I really appreciate the info you guys are providing but Wyoming is my first choice for a hunt. Wish I could have gone with my Dad but he past away in June of 2006 and my Mom in July 2006.

frank505
04-06-2010, 05:33 PM
ya gotta do some digging around on Blame and Wishes web site to find where leftover tags are available. Usually in areas with small amount of public land. The two leftover tags I hunt are NOT ever again the one up by Sheridan, no goats and had some idiots scope good son and I. I hesitate to tell where I go.............area 22 and area 16 are full of antelope and some private access. Lots of pieces of state and BLM land also, just got to know GPS and a map so you dont stray. The game warden there is a one heck of a nice guy(rare) and will help you.I do not remember his name though. Most of 22 is private land and no access, I have asked and asked, a big sheep ranch owns most of what I want to hunt(dang) and no access.
I apologize for the comments about some "hunters" unless you are one of those turds. We need to make so very sure we do it all the correct way, lead by example. I have heard, from residents about how bad the nonresidents are, well one winter, after hunting seasons closed, picked all the bottles and cans on McCullough Peaks road from the highway to the radio towers. Before season that next fall, went back and did it again. I rather doubt any nonresidents were driving up there if it isnt hunting season I would also like to increase resident tags by quite a lot to eliminate the pickup hunters and slobs, maybe they would just stay in the bars and leave us to hunt. I hunt a limited draw tag for deer on private land and have seen one resident hunter in the field. Of course some turd last year shot an elk, went up to the carcass, wasnt big enough(?) and shot another. This was witnessed by the game warden, "hunter was a nonresident. Clean it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2shot
04-07-2010, 09:57 AM
I have hunted Wyoming several times as a non-resident. I would contact the local game warden and possibly the USFS. Every time I have conctacted these people they have been very polite and very helpful. I have nothing but good to say about the people from these agency,s and they have many times directed me to private land owners that have alowed me to hunt, especially goats!

2shot

frank505, I have stayed at the Erma many times, and other hotels too. I have not been to Cody in about 6 years and hope Cody is still as nice as it always was. Hunted with Gary and Dee Fales (spelling) Rim Rock Outfitters and B. Joe Coy and had a great time with both.

leadman
04-07-2010, 05:19 PM
Seems like non-resident hunters are blamed for many things , some probably rightly so. They think because they paid so much to hunt it gives them the right to do what they want.

I don't know what the excuse is for the resident hunters that do some of the same things.

When I was growing up and hunting with my Dad and Uncles we never dreamed of hunting from our vehicles. Guns were not loaded until we were well away from the road and unloaded the same. All trash was taken back to the car, no signs were shot, no shooting too close to a house.

My friend had a "hunter" shoot at elk that were walking behind their camp one year, while they were in it!! This was a resident hunter too.

As stated we need to lead by example and hope the people observing us follow our example.

leadman
04-27-2010, 05:05 PM
My sons and I put in for leftover elk tags and got 3 in the area we normally hunt. This year Game & Fish had allocated tags to the Hopi Indian tribe but they did not buy all they were allowed so G&F put them in the leftover pile. So it cost us extra application fees to get the same tags we put in for during the draw. At least we are going hunting.

There was also one leftover Hopi Tribe antelope tag for firearms but I did not get it.

I'll be watching the leftover tags for Wyoming for sure.

My wife and I were in Wyoming about 5 years ago and she liked Ten Sleep. Not much there but I guess that is the appeal.

PatMarlin
04-28-2010, 09:48 AM
Perhaps. I was just recalling a mistake I made a long time ago. When I got home from Vietnam, I gave a few free hair cuts to "hippies", and got to visit with the boys in blue some for that. One night I was getting ready to start another "haircut", and I found that the guy I had a hold on was a Vietnam vet that had seen worse than I................. Don't think I've judged all by the actions of a few since.... and that ended the haircuts. Sometimes you just have to read a few pages before you judge the book.

You got a YouTube video on that Hippy Haircut thing? ...:mrgreen: