PDA

View Full Version : CZ Mannlichler Stock .223--Any Good?

Crash_Corrigan
07-10-2006, 03:46 AM
I have the hankering for a good bolt action .223. The above rifle tickles my fancy. Does anybody have one? Like it? Not like it? Why? Any other suggestions would be welcome. Ruger 77 comes to mind along with Ruger Model #3. Dan

Four Fingers of Death
07-10-2006, 08:35 AM
We have been shooting these CZs (previously known as BRNOs in Australia since the 50s. They are a class bit of kit, but sometimes need a few rough edges smoothed off, but what I can see, that doesn't apply nowadays. All wood and steel usually and work a treat. I have an old one in 22Hornet and a No2 BRNO (22LR) Great guns.

frank505
07-10-2006, 10:34 AM
I have a 222 full stock that will do an inch or better at 100 yards. I shot it for a couple of years with irons and just lately put a Burris 3x9 compact scope on it. Every CZ I've heard about is a real shooter and the Bavarian style stock is marvwlous for hunting, not wasting away at the bench.

NVcurmudgeon
07-10-2006, 10:36 AM
Crash, CZ rifles, AKA Brno, are the best-kept secret in quality yet affordable firearms. I have a CZ Classic American .22 LR which appears to me to be a Kimber at half the price. A friend of mine has a 7.62 X 39 carbine that is beautifully made and accurate, this is probably the same basic model as the .223 you are contemplating. For even more superlatives, wait until Deputy Al reports in regarding his CZ in 9.3 X 62, but I won't spoil his fun.

P.S. I remember Crash Corrigan from WWII comic books, and IIRC, there was a radio show as well. Your father must have told you about Crash, as I am sure you are quite young!

9.3X62AL
07-10-2006, 11:31 AM
Crash--

No time in grade with the CZ-527's, or the Mannlicher stock variants--but I think highly of the CZ line of firearms. The 550 I have in 9.3 x 62 might be the best cast boolit rifle I own, and the 40 S&W "hole" in the gun safe will get filled with a CZ-75B later this year.

JudgeBAC
07-10-2006, 05:33 PM
Dont have any experience with the newer CZ's but I do have one of the predecessors- a Brno ZKK 602 in 8 X 68S with a single set trigger. This rifle is a warhorse. Shoots 200 gr. Nosler partitions 3/4" all day long. I have hunted and traveled with this rifle and under all conditions it simply does not change zero. I refinished the stock and obviously this is one tough piece of walnut. If I were relegated to one rifle, and I have a bunch, this would be it. As I understand it, BRNO manufactures the CZ line of rifles. IMHO you cant go wrong.

PatMarlin
07-11-2006, 04:49 PM
Don't forget to check out Howa, specially in stainless.. quality!

Jack Stanley
07-12-2006, 09:04 PM
I had a Ruger number three that would be an ideal carbine if the owner enjoyed rezeroing it before each trip afield . I would produce reasonable groups after it had been shot a little and after about ten shots you were ok to change your sights to the new point of impact .
It was one of the worst rifles I've ever owned and I'll never buy another Ruger single shot after that experience .
A friend of mine has a 77 in .308 that is a little fussy on ammo but it is stable every day .

Jack

waksupi
07-12-2006, 11:17 PM
I had a Ruger number three that would be an ideal carbine if the owner enjoyed rezeroing it before each trip afield . I would produce reasonable groups after it had been shot a little and after about ten shots you were ok to change your sights to the new point of impact .
It was one of the worst rifles I've ever owned and I'll never buy another Ruger single shot after that experience .
A friend of mine has a 77 in .308 that is a little fussy on ammo but it is stable every day .

Jack
Jack, if it has tits, tires, or a two piece stock, eventually it will cause you trouble. There are some pretty finicky bedding issues with any two piece stock, wheter they be Rugers, or Sharps. When one goes sour, the bedding, or screw tension is always the first place to start running down the problem.

Crash_Corrigan
07-15-2006, 03:40 AM
I couldnt\'t resist it. I went to my gunsmith and he has a 527 Carbine in 7.62 x 39. It is a dandy and handy rifle. I loved the trigger. I has to have one. However I opted for the 223 Cal as I believe the ammo is more available and cheaper. I intend to reduce the Coyote population hearabouts and in Pahrump with this and play around on the rifle range with it. Now I need good scope for it. That will bee the next go round. Thanks for all your advice particularly NV Curmudegoen

Dan :Fire:

PatMarlin
07-15-2006, 11:07 AM
I got a 223 for the coyotes too. Bought one of those Fox Pro FX3'S with the remote last year and haven't even used it yet. I gotta get out there, cause those yotes chewed on my dogs hind leg a little couple nights ago, but I know she had to have got a good piece of one of em'.

Did you get to hang out with Art Bell... Dan? ....:mrgreen:

Jack Stanley
07-15-2006, 11:35 PM
I kinda thought the stock was most of it's problem . At the time , I neede a rifle to be reliable and no matter how "neat" it was , I didn't have time to fool with it . To bad I didn't know anyone locally who could nurse it to health . Still don't know anyone who can help them . I passed on a deal for one in .22 Hornet because of the experience with the first one .
Jack