PDA

View Full Version : Does a jug choke negative affect RB accuracy?

Maven
03-31-2010, 02:40 PM
I was looking at a .62cal. smoothbore, with rifle sights and a jug choke. Will this reduce RB accuracy?

waksupi
03-31-2010, 03:24 PM
I don't have personal experience with a jug choke for round ball. I believe on American Long Rifles site ( http://www.americanlongrifles.org/forum/ ) or Traditional ML site (http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com/forum/phpbb2/index.php)I have seen comments that they will not shoot round ball quite as well. You may want to go there and poke around.

northmn
03-31-2010, 03:57 PM
Depends some on the amount of choke also. A minor choke of IC may not do so where a turkey choke may.

Northmn

Geraldo
03-31-2010, 05:26 PM
I've got a jug choked (full) .62 GM, and it doesn't shoot any worse than my non-choked .62 GM. Which is not to say that either is a tack driver. At best groups can be kept in a kill zone at 50 yards, at worst it's pretty bad.

missionary5155
04-01-2010, 03:59 AM
Good morning
Personally I would not jug choke my smoothy IF I was going to do much RB shooting. Also IF you plan on participating in matches with RB again I would not rely on a jug choked smooty to be a winner.
It all depends on how much accuracy you are looking for. IF you want to head shoot grounghogs at 50 yards then you do NOT want any extra variables thrown into the ball exit. When a ball passes through the "jug" it will have the capabilty to wobble whichever direction offers the least resistence. Patch fold even ball seam will push the ball to one side and it will change course. This may amount to 1" at 20 yards. But it can also amount to missing the whole 12x12 target at 40 yards.
If you are going to occasionally fire a RB or shoot 3 shots now and then you may not notice any difference... but shoot 20 loads at 50 yards off cross sticks just like a match. You will wonder about the 5 flyers.
So it all comes down to "what is the prime purpose of that smokepole" ?
A smoothy will shoot shot good but a jug choke better. A jug choke will shoot a RB good but from what I have seen not as good as it did as a smoothy.
That is why I Need both 58īs....

waksupi
04-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Something else to consider.
Many (most) smooth bore matches will not permit a rear sight.

outsidebear
05-28-2010, 10:38 PM
Take look around in www.caywoodguns.com, as Danny talks about the jub choking he offers.
Maybe give him a phone call and inquire.
I'd say it all depends on the usage of the barrel:
round ball use being regularly done
mostly shot use
equally both
Is there one area where you would be willing to give up some performance
for more performance with the other area of use: ball vs shot...
Give Danny a call...

FL-Flinter
05-29-2010, 09:09 AM
Ditto to what missionary5155 already said. The common straight "jug" can play games with PRB's to the point of nullifying even a reasonable accuracy ... however, there are some loading techniques that can improve the level of accuracy. Common jugs are nothing more than a simple bore expansion done without taking into consideration the multitude of variables associated with producing efficient birdshot patterns.

Maven
05-29-2010, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the assistance as it helps immensely and confirms my suspicions. The gun with the rear sight + jug choke is out of the picture. However, I did pick up (at auction) a .62cal. North Star West early English trade gun with NO choke or rear sight. It should arrive sometime next week.