PDA

View Full Version : 10mm Advice Please

tincansailor
03-31-2010, 01:12 PM
Just picked up a S&W 1006 and want to ask other 10mm CB shooters for some help. I use wheelweights (maybe a little lino, not much) waterdropped for my 45ACP loads with no problem. Can I do the same for the 10mm?

I really don't want to load down to the 40 S&W range, as it's meant to be a power round, right? I use Lee Alox (thinned) or Barry Darr's formula and pan or tumble lube. Both work in the 45, will they work at the 10mm higher speeds?

What's a good powder to use with a strong load? I don't want to "push the envelope", just don't want a plinker or target load. I ordered Lee's 175 gr TC mould from Midway so I'll try that first.

Any and all advice, suggestions, etc., are appreciated.

Thanks in advance for some help.

fredj338
03-31-2010, 01:21 PM
I also shoot a 1006. I use the Lyman 175grRNFP, cast from straight aircooled ww. No issues running them to 1100fps or so. I like Unique & WSF for midrange loads & AA#7 or Longshot for things a bit warmer. I use a Star luber/sizer & currently Carnuba Red. Alox should work, I just don't like using it.

BLTsandwedge
03-31-2010, 03:11 PM
7.9g Power Pistol under Lyman's 401638 & Wolf's LP earns 1210fps from a 6" S&W 610- with an SD of around 5.9fps. Uber-accurate.

sqlbullet
03-31-2010, 04:03 PM
I load 175 grain over AA#9, Blue Dot and Unique using published load data for those weights. I tumble lube. I have used both water dropped and air-cooled from my alloy, which is very similar to WW.

I had very minor leading using water dropped bullets under light charges of blue dot. Using Unique for the same velocities fixed the problem. I think the bullets were slightly undersize (bore slugged to just shy of .401") and the light Blue Dot charges didn't provide enough peak pressure for obturation.

I recently acquired a 200 grain secant mold made by mountain molds. I lubed those using felix, but haven't had a chance to shoot them yet.

troy_mclure
04-01-2010, 08:07 AM
i just cast 10lbs of the lee 175gr tumble lube boolits.

ill be trying a few powders to see what i can get, but im like you, not much point in a 10mm if you aint gonna give it some speed!

mpmarty
04-01-2010, 12:39 PM
I regularly load the LEE 175gr TC/TL boolit in my Witness Elite Match. I get around 1150fps out of it with a max book recommended charge of Red Dot. I do get some keyholes in the more distant targets sometimes. Leading is very light and function is reliable. I lube with undiluted LLA and do not size them at all.