PDA

View Full Version : Understand bore ride?

Canuck Bob
03-31-2010, 11:41 AM
In studying one thing still confuses me. With boolits with proper sized throats and bore ride sections that are snug to oversize how does one extract an unfired round?

I picture the bore ride nose pushed into the barrel and the throat area touching the lands the resistence to unchamber the round seems high. In past JB loading I set bullets out to just touch the lands with fire formed cases.

mdi
03-31-2010, 12:26 PM
I was under the impression that "bore riding" bullets are a shape of bullet; a part of the forward section is bore diameter, not groove diameter.

Canuck Bob
03-31-2010, 12:47 PM
I was under the impression that "bore riding" bullets are a shape of bullet; a part of the forward section is bore diameter, not groove diameter.

I understand it that way too. Some often advise that a bore ride section is a press fit or slightly larger in the bore.

Pirate69
03-31-2010, 12:49 PM
Hope there is some more conversation on this. I have seen this term used but I don't totally understand it.

dubber123
03-31-2010, 01:06 PM
Mdi is correct. The bore ride section is smaller than the rest of the boolit. Ideally, a bore ride boolit will lightly engrave the lands when chambered, which is visible on a unfired, extracted round. A bore ride design perfectly centers the boolit to the bore before firing, and many bore ride designs can be very accurate, IF the bore ride section is a good fit to your gun.

I had a factory Lyman 311291, a bore ride design. On this mould, the bore ride was .300", and was a loose fit in the bore of my Savage 219 in 30-30. It shot around 1-1/4" at 50 yards. I got another mould, with a .303" bore ride, and the same loads will shoot under 1/2" at the same range. If the bore ride doesn't fit, your odds of acieving the full accuracy potential are not good.

steg
03-31-2010, 01:14 PM
I never really understood the term bore rider, but I never got around to asking about it, thanks for the clarification......steg

303Guy
03-31-2010, 01:45 PM
I picture the bore ride nose pushed into the barrel and the throat area touching the lands the resistence to unchamber the round seems high.There should be a slight resistance in chambering and extracting the round and faint impressions should be left on the boolit but this resistance is slight while the case neck tension should give a fairly substancial resistance. The neck tension should not be able to size the base section down below groove size.

HORNET
03-31-2010, 05:02 PM
If you feel some resistance closing the action, it's normal. If the boolit stays in the barrel and all that WW-748 pours out into the action when you open it, your bore-ride nose was too big..don't ask [smilie=b:

JeffinNZ
03-31-2010, 05:17 PM
If you feel some resistance closing the action, it's normal. If the boolit stays in the barrel and all that WW-748 pours out into the action when you open it, your bore-ride nose was too big..don't ask [smilie=b:

So I am not the only one to have done this then. [smilie=s:

Doc Highwall
03-31-2010, 05:28 PM
Here is a picture of a SAECO #315 tapered bullet that I chambered and then extracted, you can see the rifling on the nose.

pdawg_shooter
03-31-2010, 05:48 PM
To me the undersized bore riding nose is one more place to cause trouble. It will distort under acceleration and cause accuracy problems. That is the reason Lovern designed bullets are so easy to get to shoot well. That said, the 311284 is my most accurate bullet, but I size it .3015 full length and paper patch it.

John Boy
03-31-2010, 09:43 PM
Doc, pictures are examples of a bore riding bullet.
The ogive is tapered smaller to larger to the driving bad or subsequent GG's so the bullet is in the leade and the initial bore cuts are engraving the bullet at the DB or GG's Why shoot them? The bore riding bullet is more concentric in the bore for straighter obturation and better accuracy. I normally reload so the OAL seats the bullet in the leade if they are tapered ogives and not like the same dimension round noses where the bullet was not designed to be a bore rider such as the 457124 and 45715's